Album Leaks

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

marowak

Re: Album Leaks

Post by marowak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 pm

I happily listen to live versions of new songs

- good and gone and anymore have both become songs I love so much now.

The world is different to when I was a 15-25 yr old with lots of money when I used to buy a LOT of albums every week. Back then downloads did not exist so much.

I am looking forward to getting the cd and cassette in the post and listening to it all one evening with some cheese and a whisky.

Can't wait :)
06 06.3 08.8
07 04.4 11.5 17.5 08.6 10.11
08 28.3 21.04 13.6 06.7 06.9
09 11.1 06.2 21.4 10.10 29.10
10 23.3 16.7 12.12
11 12.2 12.5 30.5 27.11
12 13.4 28.11 28.12x2
13 10.1 24.6 11.7 12.7
14 12.2 13.2 14.9 17.12
15 29.1 02.2 13.8 7.11
16 10.12 12.12

ToTheWest

Post by ToTheWest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 am

Maybe because I *don't* keep myself from watching the live videos of the new songs on YouTube--and maybe because I was fortunate enough to see two FT shows recently--but I agree with those who've said that they don't need the album until it was meant to be in their hands. I also remember what it was like to intern at an indie label in the early 2000s when internet leaks of albums were the new thing that was driving musicians and labels alike crazy. Whoever was responsible probably felt some retarded thrill hiding behind their computer screens, but I kind of always wanted to find those people and punch them in the face on behalf of our artists, most of whom were punk rock bands just trying to make an honest living by their music. A lot of careful planning and promotion goes into the weeks before the actual release.

I pre-ordered the record as soon as I could, and that's something I rarely do--not because I download things illegally (I don't), just because there are few current bands/artists whose music I like as much as Frank's, so it usually takes me a while to get around to buying stuff. Even though I know most of the songs on TDH already from the live videos, I'm really looking forward to hearing the studio versions. Most days, I get way too mentally invested in my job, so I imagine I'll come home after another exhausting day, completely forgetting that it's release day, and open the mailbox expecting to just find more bills and adverts for Burger King and Little Caesar's... and then have my mood instantly lifted by Tape Deck Heart staring me in the face!
Brevity is not my forte.

Russ67

Post by Russ67 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 am

I just happened across a tweet mentioning the leak (a bit late because I live in a cave) and feeling a bit dismayed I looked further and found it is true.

Anyone downloading a leaked album is a complete cunt, especially if they paid in advance and think they have a right to the content.
Never let the things that go without saying remain unsaid

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:04 am

Helium wrote:That said, I did see someone quoting what I can only assume are lyrics to tracks from the new album on various social networking sites, and that really fucked me off. Illegally downloading it is one thing, bragging about it is another.
All of the lyrics for TDH are posted on the website darling.

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 am

Russ67 wrote:
Anyone downloading a leaked album is a complete cunt, especially if they paid in advance and think they have a right to the content.
That's a funny one... people who paid for the album and then literally couldn't wait are bigger cunts than the people who never have or will pay? Think of that through the eyes of logic....

I have heard pretty much all the songs by now, but am waiting for the liner notes before listening to the studio versions. Just today I pre-ordered the album, deluxe of course.... I'm not a moral authority, I'm not white knighting as some seem to be doing, it's just I have a way.... but if people have paid, then fuck it, they may as well download if they want... as Frank said, frustrating, but it's a fact of life.
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Granty2k12

Post by Granty2k12 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:20 pm

I can see where Russ is coming from, the people who have pre-ordered the album are the 'real' fans, who supposedly respect Frnak and enjoy his music, but they'd still do this to him. Rather than just random people who were never going to buy it anyway.

As Good As It Gets

Post by As Good As It Gets » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Dougie wrote:
Helium wrote:That said, I did see someone quoting what I can only assume are lyrics to tracks from the new album on various social networking sites, and that really fucked me off. Illegally downloading it is one thing, bragging about it is another.
All of the lyrics for TDH are posted on the website darling.
Except for Good & Gone for some reason :wink:
43. 2nd February 2006 @ Jax Bar, Hartlepool

The day Frank came & played for me!

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Tricky one this. I first started buying cd's in about 1998 from my local independent record shop. At that time, I'd also buy a lot through mail order (from labels such as Household Name) and buying at gigs. But here's the thing - I don't have the money to spend on cd's like I did when I was 14-20. I've got a mortgage, bills to pay etc. If I get recommended a mid-sized band then I'd rather download the album and see if I like it. If I do, then I'll see the band live, maybe buy their t-shirt. Then I'll buy the album at some point when it has dropped in price or I'm a bit better off that month.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: If I've got £10, I'd rather spend it on going to see a band live with my girlfriend than buying an album and sitting in my car every day listening to it on the way to work.

Off to a gig tonight and a couple next week. Am I doing a better job keeping music alive than if I bought a cd? I'd like to think so. Maybe someone in a band could say which they would rather prefer - a gig-goer or a cd buyer? Obviously, both would be perfect, but we're not in 1998 anymore...
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

minidazzler

Post by minidazzler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Granty2k12 wrote:I can see where Russ is coming from, the people who have pre-ordered the album are the 'real' fans, who supposedly respect Frnak and enjoy his music, but they'd still do this to him. Rather than just random people who were never going to buy it anyway.
But it's not about respect. Whether Frank feels disrespected by people who paid for the album then got it early is beside the point, because if disrespect is not intended then it's not malicious, it's just people love his music so much they don't wanna wait. They likely respect him a lot.

Frank has said on occasion he doesn't like that Youtube allows his songs to be seen by the masses before they are necessarily ready for mass consumption.... look at Rod Stewart... is it disrespectful of us to search out these songs? Is it disrespectful to tab them? They aren't in their intended medium (i.e. Live or on an Album) and some aren't even finished!

I'd rather albums didn't leak personally, and I hope the cunts who leaked it get a cut on the roof of their mouth that won't heal, but downloading something early AFTER paying for it, not disrespectful... though I can see why Frank would be annoyed, there is no reason for his fans to white knight...

(I hate rambling on, but tipsyness and tiredness.... :D )
I'd rather be the one who loves than to be loved and never even know.

Granty2k12

Post by Granty2k12 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:58 pm

I wasn't agreeing with Russ, just trying to put accross the 'why' of his statement.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 am

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:. But here's the thing - I don't have the money to spend on cd's like I did when I was 14-20. I've got a mortgage, bills to pay etc. .

sorry to sound a little harsh but not being able to afford to buy music doesn't mean it's ok to download it for free. If I cannot afford to eat I can't walk into Tesco and help myself.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:58 am

Rubber_Soul wrote:
drinkthesunshinezine wrote:. But here's the thing - I don't have the money to spend on cd's like I did when I was 14-20. I've got a mortgage, bills to pay etc. .

sorry to sound a little harsh but not being able to afford to buy music doesn't mean it's ok to download it for free. If I cannot afford to eat I can't walk into Tesco and help myself.
It doesn't sound harsh - I know where you're coming from but these analogies don't stack up purely because music is so freely available now. There's no going back. I don't stick to 70mph on the motorway because I know I can get away with it. I don't steal from Tesco because I'll get caught. If I couldn't afford to eat but there was a table full of food just outside my house with 0.0001% chance of getting caught for it then of course I'd take some. I'll download Johnny Cash's umpteenth album from 1987 because I can, I suppose.

The two periods in my life that I've been to most gigs have been 1998-2003 and 2009-2013. The first period because it was all about discovery, the second because the internet has opened up music like never before. I went to see some local bands last night and there were nearly 100 people there in a back room of a pub. That wouldn't have happened here 10 years ago. The mix of people was astonishing.

Maybe I shouldn't have swapped those mixtapes with people in the late 90's, but then, would I be still going to gigs now like a bloody teenager?
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:19 am

drinkthesunshinezine wrote:
Rubber_Soul wrote:

It doesn't sound harsh - I know where you're coming from but these analogies don't stack up purely because music is so freely available now. There's no going back. I don't stick to 70mph on the motorway because I know I can get away with it. I don't steal from Tesco because I'll get caught. If I couldn't afford to eat but there was a table full of food just outside my house with 0.0001% chance of getting caught for it then of course I'd take some. I'll download Johnny Cash's umpteenth album from 1987 because I can, I suppose.

The two periods in my life that I've been to most gigs have been 1998-2003 and 2009-2013. The first period because it was all about discovery, the second because the internet has opened up music like never before. I went to see some local bands last night and there were nearly 100 people there in a back room of a pub. That wouldn't have happened here 10 years ago. The mix of people was astonishing.

Maybe I shouldn't have swapped those mixtapes with people in the late 90's, but then, would I be still going to gigs now like a bloody teenager?
The sharing of mixtapes isn't quite the same though, unless of course you knew the world and were able to give everyone a copy. The lending of music, books, film, etc... isn't what is hurting the industry, it's the people that feel like they are ok to download things for free as long as they can justify it (and nine times out of ten those justifications are a load of balls).

At the end of the day if you cannot afford something, wait! Whether that's music, a car, sofa etc.. save up and buy it, you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more when you have earnt it.

I sound like an old man but what the hell.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 am

Rubber_Soul wrote:...............it's the people that feel like they are ok to download things for free as long as they can justify it (and nine times out of ten those justifications are a load of balls)
So is downloading the leak (having pre-ordered the cd, been to the gigs & going to more, buying the merch., etc etc etc., one of the 9 or the valid 1 :?:
:D

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 am

See I'm not sure where I sit on that one. If you've pre-ordered but just can't wait I don't see that as bad as someone who decides to download it and then decide if it's worth the money or not.