Website Redesign

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

working claas

Re: Website Redesign

Post by working claas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am

setlist section came in my mind as well! that would be cool. dylan has this as well and it is nice to check out older sets and see the changes over the time.
Music and lyrics reflect ordinary people - but larger than life.

zigjim

Post by zigjim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

romain

Post by romain » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 am

Not sold on the live chat, who would "regulate" it? I think the forums are working pretty well.

A "Sleeping Souls" section or blog would definitely be great. Or even a blog for your roadies or other guests (like sound engineers, producers, somebody from the label, etc.).

They could provide "behind the scene" insights (and gossips ;)) on touring, recording, promoting, rehearsing, etc. The way I see it would be more like: "so here is how we rehearse before a tour starts: First, everybody rehearses the songs at home, then we play 22 hours a day until our fingers pour blood on the floor and Frank's throat breathes fire..." rather than "Hey guys! Check it out, a cool pic of Frank and us reharsing, see you soon".

My (French) two cents.
581, 832, 1151, 1209, 1462.
https://soundcloud.com/theescapistband

inca

Website Redesign

Post by inca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 am

Can i suggest something easy on the eyes? For those of us with conditions black on white is hard to read, white on black is almost impossible and red for me is no go.
Black on cream/ivory is much easier for many people, it cuts down on the glare and reflections from a white background.
No good for a website but my computer word programs are set to purple on lilac!

Fortunate Son

Post by Fortunate Son » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

How about some kind of members area, or subscription service ?

Not too expensive but enough of a commitment
Could provide a bit of a revenue stream
Help beat the touts - maybe with occasional membership only gigs.

Badlands in Cheltenham used to have a club for Bruce fans that eventually morphed into a ticket / concert package operation, and they ended up with close working relationships with the promotors etc.

I don't know if any other artists do something like this, I imagine that there must be......

Fortunate Son

Post by Fortunate Son » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

and, how about an area specifically for links to and discussion of, ahem, "fan based recordings"

Like the Webster Hall soundboard recording etc

Possibly a copyright minefield, or at least a grey area

But, certainly not advocating the misuse or otherwise of any "officially" released recordings, ie those that should be paid for via the usual channels etc

Oasisbobo

Post by Oasisbobo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm

I think your website is one of the best music websites. I find myself coming here alot more often then any other. I think it just needs to be tidied up a bit for example an updated discography page with an easy to use layout similarly with the lyrics have clickable links instead of every song on one page. I like the idea of having a setlist section like the Bob Dylan website. Making it easier to find the tabs would be great too. The giglist could also be updated? Maybe break it down into different years or even have a search feature on it. Maybe have a tour archive area where members could upload pictures to each gig and talk about the gig, although that could be done on the forum. An updated videography with all your videos in one place would be cool.

Tammy215

Post by Tammy215 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi
I'd like to be able to get back to the website when in the forum with a click. Also can the replys be reversed to show most recent at the top rather than having to go to page 33 of a post to see the latest reply. Not sure if this is how it works on a desktop , but I'm usually here on my phone .. So maybe a more user friendly phone ap.
I love the other ideas people are suggesting .. I also agree with changing the colors .. Maybe throw up some samples and we can all vote on color combinations that would make it easy on all eyes..
Thanks for asking for our input.
1263-Boston, 1281-NYC, 1350-Northhampton MA, 1351-Clifton Park NY, 1352-NYC, 1404-Asbury Park NJ

Tammy215

Post by Tammy215 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Oh and twitter and Instagram links, or live feeds , if that's what it's called .
1263-Boston, 1281-NYC, 1350-Northhampton MA, 1351-Clifton Park NY, 1352-NYC, 1404-Asbury Park NJ

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Tammy215 wrote:Also can the replys be reversed to show most recent at the top rather than having to go to page 33 of a post to see the latest reply.
Noooooooo. See the far right column on the forum? Where it says last post? Click the little box thing icon next to the username and voila you are taken straight to the last post in the thread
Tammy215 wrote:Not sure if this is how it works on a desktop , but I'm usually here on my phone .. So maybe a more user friendly phone ap.
There is an app called Tapatalk that you can use to browse the forum.

Fortunate Son

Post by Fortunate Son » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:19 pm

How about a thumbs up button, like the old Word Magazine blog, so we can show agreement or appreciation of a post, without necessarily having anything to add

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Fortunate Son wrote:How about a thumbs up button, like the old Word Magazine blog, so we can show agreement or appreciation of a post, without necessarily having anything to add
...or like on Facebook...

jazzyjools

Post by jazzyjools » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 am

Blonde wrote:
Tammy215 wrote:Also can the replys be reversed to show most recent at the top rather than having to go to page 33 of a post to see the latest reply.
Noooooooo. See the far right column on the forum? Where it says last post? Click the little box thing icon next to the username and voila you are taken straight to the last post in the thread
Tammy215 wrote:.
Thanks for that - learnt something today! After years of clicking on the number of the pages!

Tammy215

Post by Tammy215 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeah , thanks for that .. Now I'll check out taptalk