Performers Wanted For Bristol Charity Gig 15/3

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

craigoc

Performers Wanted For Bristol Charity Gig 15/3

Post by craigoc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi,

I'm helping to organise a charity concert in Bristol on 15th March in support of organ donation charity Live Life, Then Give Life and we're looking for performers in the Bristol area who might be interested in playing.

First, a bit of background: Will Pope, a Bristol Uni student, spent the latter half of 2012 waiting for a heart transplant. His story featured in 'Tonight' on ITV and struck a chord with Bristol's student population. In an attempt to increase the number of young people signed up to the organ donor register, Will's friends began campaigning. I can't do his story justice but there's plenty of information over on the WillPower campaign site: http://www.willpope.co.uk/

I figured there's bound to be some people on here based local to Bristol who might know some brilliant performers. If you do know someone who would relish the opportunity to play in front of 250 people for a good cause, or you're interested yourself, please let us know. If you can give us a link to some music too, that would be great.

Any questions, fire away. Thank you.

js0412

Re: Performers Wanted For Bristol Charity Gig 15/3

Post by js0412 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Have you come across Chris Webb or Gaz Brookfield? Can't claim to know either of them personally but both good singer-songwriters you could get in touch with

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm

craigoc wrote:I'm helping to organise a charity concert in Bristol on 15th March in support of organ donation charity Live Life, Then Give Life......
Hi,

Obviously I can't help with the performing part of this, but I just wanted to commend your efforts to heighten the awareness for organ donation (a topic near and dear to my heart). I work at the University of Florida, and we offer many children with congenital heart disease treatment with palliation, surgical correction, and transplantation. We grow to know and love the kids while they are waiting for an organ to become available. This "gift of life" requires the selfless decision of others to become an organ donor. So hopefully, people will check out your link, and perhaps sign up on the organ donor registery.

And, best wishes for your concert. Sounds like an awesome event.

darlene
shows? 90 so far...

marky mark

Post by marky mark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 am

Oxygen Thief is the obvious one here.

Otherwise, Warren Mallia of The Attika State is absolutely incredible with his acoustic stuff. See here.

Ieuan Williams is always looking for shows in Bristol too and would be more than happy to play.

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Have you asked Ellen Cox? http://www.exitsounds.co.uk/ellencoxmusic/ I know she supported Jim Lockey a couple of weeks ago. I've listened to her stuff on soundcloud and she's good.
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

helentx

Post by helentx » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Unfortunately http://shemakeswar.com/about/ is playing in Totnes on 15th March. For future reference she is now Bristol based. I saw her last year supporting Chris TT.
darlenet. wrote:
craigoc wrote:I'm helping to organise a charity concert in Bristol on 15th March in support of organ donation charity Live Life, Then Give Life......
Obviously I can't help with the performing part of this, but I just wanted to commend your efforts to heighten the awareness for organ donation (a topic near and dear to my heart). I work at the University of Florida, and we offer many children with congenital heart disease treatment with palliation, surgical correction, and transplantation. We grow to know and love the kids while they are waiting for an organ to become available. This "gift of life" requires the selfless decision of others to become an organ donor. So hopefully, people will check out your link, and perhaps sign up on the organ donor registery. darlene
No better time to say that the tx in helentx stands for transplant. I've only just read your post properly, Craig, & seen the charity which I know very well. Thank you for putting on this gig to raise awareness. It's a good time for me to say something about this on the forum. We read about waiting lists in the NHS for treatment but the transplant waiting list is the one list that EVERYONE can do something about - it isn't about politicians or health administrators or expecting someone else to sort the problem. We could solve the waiting list if everyone who believes in organ donation actually signed the Organ Donor Register & talked about it with their families.

I've gone from feeling like I had a permanent 24 hour hangover, facing a brick wall in front of my face & not thinking any far into the future to living again. It really makes that kind of difference to those who are waiting now. Thanks for reading this.

PS I can do things like this now (from my facebook wall) Carpe Diem! I went to Spain on a whim. Took in a Goya exhibition at the Palacio Real. Been to Madrid before on business but not seen the Palace & it has full on wow factor in spades. Forgot that Madrid is on a hillside so 2.5 hrs walking in... the sunshine felt like a full work out. I don't do gym! Ended the day leaning against a barrier in front of a sound desk, drink in hand. Bed, excellent breakfast, & home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpwBgskZIA

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:00 pm

helentx wrote:I've gone from feeling like I had a permanent 24 hour hangover, facing a brick wall in front of my face & not thinking any far into the future to living again. It really makes that kind of difference to those who are waiting now. Thanks for reading this.

PS I can do things like this now (from my facebook wall) Carpe Diem! I went to Spain on a whim. Took in a Goya exhibition at the Palacio Real. Been to Madrid before on business but not seen the Palace & it has full on wow factor in spades. Forgot that Madrid is on a hillside so 2.5 hrs walking in... the sunshine felt like a full work out. I don't do gym! Ended the day leaning against a barrier in front of a sound desk, drink in hand. Bed, excellent breakfast, & home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpwBgskZIA
Congratulations, Helen!!!!!!!!! The "tx" on your user name stuck out at me instantly but I wanted to respect your privacy and not ask. (I always think people are as passionate about talking about organ transplantation as I am).

Thanks for taking the courage to share your story. It provides inspiration for those whose life's focus is waiting. Waiting for, well, basically everything. They can now see that a full life is possible. And hopefully people will be motivated to sign up on the Organ Register.

"We live to dance another day..."

Darlene
xx

PS. Funny, just saw DKM last night in Orlando, and they totally rocked that song. (Though I took a sharp elbow to the ribs during it that still hurts this morning).
shows? 90 so far...

helentx

Post by helentx » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks Darlene. Yes get me on the subject & I'm passionate about it with a capital P!

Sorry you got an elbow in the ribs - that's the thing I worry about. I can imagine going to the hospital & saying well I was at this gig......& I got thumped in the pelvis ..... not a good thing because that's where a transplanted kidney is put & contact sports are inadvisable! In Madrid I got thrown back against the sound desk barrier which was the kind of first I don't want to have. I am a lot fitter than I used to be though!

Shiney

Post by Shiney » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Craig - can you get in touch with Ellen Cox on either FB or Twitter or ellencoxmusic(at)hotmail(dot)com re this gig. Cheers :D
So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, tell him to go and fuck himself and tell his friends to do the same.
Gigs: Wembley, Oxford, London forum.

craigoc

Post by craigoc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 am

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. As it is we had an overwhelming response and the line-up's now completely full. We even managed to grab a sort of celebrity in Rory McGrath! Should the event go well there's a possibility of organising another so I'll bear these people in mind next time round.

Should anyone be from Bristol and fancy coming along, tickets are available here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5425951 ... ebtnebtckt

Thank you all again.