Tape Deck Heart

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

NovembersStorms

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by NovembersStorms » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:09 am

justdip wrote:My review. I've tried to angle it differently, would like to know what you think.
http://justdip.co.uk/2013/04/24/review- ... eck-heart/
I loved it! Gave a whole new insight to the album :)
part time gigger , full time waster, twitter, founder of the Tarrant Anderson Fan Club (@StephenEamonn)

Newtoooooon!

Post by Newtoooooon! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm

This is the first album I've bought for about a year. It's still not come through my door yet but the songs are already etched into my mind. I think Spotify are becoming a bit pissed at the amount of wear I'm getting out of their TDH tracks.

I love it. At first, I wasn't sure - I couldn't quite grasp the juxtaposition of the happy-go-lucky melodies of the start of the album and the plain hurt of some of the later tracks. But it's just an incredible album.

LI&S will probably always be my favourite Frank Turner LP but this has forced its way right up the list, possibly into second place, and it moves closer to the top spot every time I listen to it. I feel there's more depth to this album. I loved EKMB for its patriotism and its uplifting spirit (and I'm from Scotland!) but TDH is a real package of songs which relate to each other in more ways than just how they sound.

But aside from how fucking catchy the songs are (standard), the wonderful songwriting and the music, the thing I love most about the album is this: it's powerful without forcing that on you. I feel like Frank's saying: "Here's a snapshot of what I've been up to lately, but don't let that get you down." It doesn't pull you down into the gutter and say: "Here's how shit things have been going for me. Feel that?"

You can't help but be moved by some of the songs - Anymore and Broken Piano for starters - but there's always a feeling that, this is Frank Turner, he'll bounce back. And that's reflected elsewhere on the album, Four Simple Words being the perfect example.

It never ceases to amaze me how inane some music these days is. What are the popular artists actually singing about? Who are they representing? Whose lives are they reflecting?

On the other hand, there isn't one Frank Turner song you aren't able to take some kind of meaning from, or relate to in some way, even if it's just about spending nights down the pub drinking your life away. That's real life. That juxtaposition of highs and lows I referred to: that's real life. Frank Turner puts real life on a CD and that's why TDH simply does the job perfectly.

It's so close to being 10/10, but right now, it's a nine. Nice work sir.

tobefrank

Post by tobefrank » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:13 am

Newtoooooon! wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how inane some music these days is. What are the popular artists actually singing about? Who are they representing? Whose lives are they reflecting?
That's a good point actually. Slightly aside from talking about Tape Deck Heart, it kind of makes me realise that you become 'spoilt' by artists like Frank. I'm so out of touch with the charts now and what the big hits are, who the stars are, I don't pay attention to it. Every so often you'll catch snapshots on the TV or radio, but it was only last night I accidentally caught a couple and paid attention.

You've got multi-millionaire artists like Nelly singing about a flash car and making a pre-teen metaphor to him driving a car e.g. riding a woman (!!) and then I caught another song by who I can't remember the name of but I knew it was a big hit at the moment because you can't avoid it... it's basically something like 'in the crowd, the music's loud, but i'll find you... i like your face, do you like my song'.

Is this what modern music has come to??

On the other hand, it did make me feel better about the songs I write at home on my guitar which are heavily influenced by Frank but to which I'd also always painfully compared them to!
...about finding that trail that leads away from everyone.

Opinionated Brit

Post by Opinionated Brit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:09 am

I have to say, I was in love with this album from the first listen. I grinned through Recovery, was taken aback by Plain Sailing Weather (Fixed), shivered through Tell Tale Signs and these feelings repeated themselves throughout the rest of the album. 1 week on and the feelings haven't changed in the slightest.

I like that we're seeing a very personal side on this album, it feels just that much more raw (and this is coming from someone who considers EKMB to be their favourite album of all time). I was the show in Birmingham on Wednesday night and that emotion came right through in the live performances too with songs like Anymore making a huge impact on the crowd.

I'm glad I bought the Deluxe Edition as well, it was worth it just for 'Time Machine' (although the other tracks are great too). Really great track. Clever, fun and would have loved to see it on the main album (although I'm not sure I'd want to actually drop any of the current songs).

I'm completely sold on this album. It's moved on without losing the sound that I love, something that can rarely be said for me with most releases recently.
Last edited by Opinionated Brit on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stothy862

Post by stothy862 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Opinionated Brit wrote: Plain Simple words.
Eh? Not heard this one...

Opinionated Brit

Post by Opinionated Brit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 pm

stothy862 wrote:
Opinionated Brit wrote: Plain Simple words.
Eh? Not heard this one...
Haha! I meant to write something about Four Simple Words and Plain Sailing Weather and somehow joined the two. I can see how I did it though, Plain Simple Words sounds like a viable song title!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 pm

My biggest issue with TDH is this:

"I believe in the album as an art form in itself and one can have albums that are too long. I wanted something that was coherent whole that had twelve songs on it." - Frank

Which would be fine if the deluxe edition had the bonus tracks on a separate disc. But they aren't, making the album 18 tracks long, which is too long and I find myself switching it off halfway through the bonus tracks. I'm not always nearby to be able to pause it after the twelve songs.

3 bonus songs at the end of an album is fine, 5 or more would be a lot better on a separate disc.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Tue May 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Blonde wrote:My biggest issue with TDH is this:

"I believe in the album as an art form in itself and one can have albums that are too long. I wanted something that was coherent whole that had twelve songs on it." - Frank

Which would be fine if the deluxe edition had the bonus tracks on a separate disc. But they aren't, making the album 18 tracks long, which is too long and I find myself switching it off halfway through the bonus tracks. I'm not always nearby to be able to pause it after the twelve songs.

3 bonus songs at the end of an album is fine, 5 or more would be a lot better on a separate disc.
Whack them in a different playlist or album name on itunes, that'll sort it for whilst you are on the move.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue May 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Rubber_Soul wrote:

Whack them in a different playlist or album name on itunes, that'll sort it for whilst you are on the move.
I've done that, it's more when I'm listening to the actual CD at home.

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Tue May 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Can't help you with that, unless you employ a small child to stop the CD for you when you aren't capable of doing it yourself.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue May 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Is Latham available?

Rubber_Soul

Post by Rubber_Soul » Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Child not dwarf!

Helium

Post by Helium » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Rubber_Soul wrote:Child not dwarf!
Dougie?
10: 18/03, 27/08, 04/12, 31/12
11: 17/2, 21/4, 13/5 16/5, 7/7, 26/8 (x2), 24/11, 26/11, 27/11
12: 13/4, 7/7, 12/11, 13/11, 17/11
13: 17/4, 19/4, 11/7, 12/7
14: 7/2, 9/2, 12/2, 28/9
15: 24/3, 27/8, 15/11, 23/11
16: 23/11, 13/12, 15/12
18: 8/5, 13/5

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 am

Blonde wrote:
Rubber_Soul wrote:

I've done that, it's more when I'm listening to the actual CD at home.
First world problems ;)
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am

In a way I am with Blonde on this one. I listen to actual CDs at home, rather than having the iPod plugged into the stereo. When you are doing something else at the same time you don't think of stopping the CD when the bonus tracks start. This is particularly annoying with reissues with instrumental versions tagged onto the end.
I regard EKMB as a 15-track album and have never paused it after 'Glory hallelujah'. I shall experiment with this though once I finally get to listen to TDH! (am still travelling..).
I would imagine there is a cost issue though, if it were to be two CDs.
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 *1216* 1257/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 *1700* 1704/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 *2000* 2076/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76