Tape Deck Heart

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

skhmmxi
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by skhmmxi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 pm

I've just had a first listen through the main album. In accordance with the Nigel Powell Officially Recommended FT Album Listening Strategy, I stopped it after Broken Piano and I'll be listening to the bonus tracks a bit later on, after I've had a bit of time to soak up the main album,

So far, I like it, but as others have said I think it needs a few repeat listens before it really starts to sink in deep. It'll be the soundtrack to my commute, and during my workouts, for the next few days.
218,278,284,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,980,1000,1143,1216,1303,1321,1384,1441,1464,1518,1527,1545,1595,1611,next:RAH 29/03

KangarooAlice
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by KangarooAlice » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 pm

"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

User avatar
Blonde
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Blonde » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Rubber_Soul wrote:
I'm going to guess by the end of this tour you'll love them, I said the same to Latham earlier today.
That's probably a bit too soon. It took me two years to realise what an amazing album LIS is!

User avatar
Tomasz
Posts: 1546
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:05 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Tomasz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 am

KangarooAlice wrote:I just listened to it through for the first time. I like it, but I don't love it, I'll be honest. The lyrics are good, but nothing really grabs me 'musically'. If you compare it to previous albums, it just doesn't seem to be at same standard? The way it's been produced doesn't really appeal, its missing the voice cracks, quirks etc. There aren't any FT songs I've ever really not liked, so I'm surprised I'm finding quite a few on this one! I want to love the album, I really do! I won't give up on it just yet, but I haven't been blown away on the first listen. :(
I must admit, I had similar thoughts first time through, but its really grown on me in subsequent listens. I'd listen to just the album, not the bonus tracks, a lot more times and see what happens
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

User avatar
Tomasz
Posts: 1546
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:05 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Tomasz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 am

SB wrote:The sound seems more like a high-production LIS than EKMB which is a good thing for me.
I thought that the first three albums work well as a sort of trilogy, and the new album is on a level stylistically with EKMB and could form another trilogy with album six, perhaps, unless Frank goes drum and bass for album six, we all know it's on the cards...
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by SB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:58 am

Tomasz wrote:
SB wrote:The sound seems more like a high-production LIS than EKMB which is a good thing for me.
I thought that the first three albums work well as a sort of trilogy, and the new album is on a level stylistically with EKMB and could form another trilogy with album six, perhaps, unless Frank goes drum and bass for album six, we all know it's on the cards...
That's an interesting view. I can see where you're coming from, I just hear it as very different to EKMB. Production wise it's more similar to that than any others, but emotionally and thematically it resonates more with me than EKMB which makes me think it's more similar to others.

It's completely fascinating seeing how everybody hears it differently.

Russ67
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Russ67 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

On first listening a few tracks in I thought, ooh, Frank's made a country album. I was bearing in mind a recent interview where he described himself as an "English country singer" and the dropping of the whole FTHC thing. Let me be clear, in my book this is a good thing as it's one of my favourite genres and I listen to a lot, but from the perspective of someone, say from the hc scene, I can imagine that Frank seems to be sailing off into the distance and leaving them behind. If Frank can hook even a very small percentage of the US Country market then a secure future is guaranteed. I'm not so cynical to say this was done on purpose though.

Anyone know what the 43 take vocal was?

The vocals on Anymore are sublime and perfectly sum up the emotional rawness of the whole concept.
Never let the things that go without saying remain unsaid

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by frank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Russ67 wrote:On first listening a few tracks in I thought, ooh, Frank's made a country album. I was bearing in mind a recent interview where he described himself as an "English country singer" and the dropping of the whole FTHC thing. Let me be clear, in my book this is a good thing as it's one of my favourite genres and I listen to a lot, but from the perspective of someone, say from the hc scene, I can imagine that Frank seems to be sailing off into the distance and leaving them behind. If Frank can hook even a very small percentage of the US Country market then a secure future is guaranteed. I'm not so cynical to say this was done on purpose though.

Anyone know what the 43 take vocal was?

The vocals on Anymore are sublime and perfectly sum up the emotional rawness of the whole concept.
I'm not sure I'm "dropping the whole FTHC thing" - I changed my twitter handle (to *my own name*) and people have been choosing to read into that. Barmy. Incidentally, I've considered what I do to be closer to country than folk for a long time, after some long, illuminating and slightly heated discussions with my buddy Chris T-T.

Not, of course, having a go. Interesting to read people's thoughts on here.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Russ67
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Russ67 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm

sorry, badly worded second sentence thunk up after heated debate with luddite hc types, after all you can't be dropping anything if Mongol Horde still exist. Which I hope they do.

Nothing but love and respect from my side.
Never let the things that go without saying remain unsaid

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by frank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Russ67 wrote:sorry, badly worded second sentence thunk up after heated debate with luddite hc types, after all you can't be dropping anything if Mongol Horde still exist. Which I hope they do.

Nothing but love and respect from my side.
hugs and all that, haha.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

Sherlock
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Sherlock » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all, slightly strange question but what songs on the album swear? Got the vinyl and download waiting for me at home and just wondered what tracks were ok to play with my 3 year old around? She loves franks other albums so hopefully will like this too!

User avatar
frank
Site Admin
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by frank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Sherlock wrote:Hi all, slightly strange question but what songs on the album swear? Got the vinyl and download waiting for me at home and just wondered what tracks were ok to play with my 3 year old around? She loves franks other albums so hopefully will like this too!
off the top of my head, Plain Sailing Weather, Good & Gone, Four Simple Words..
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by SB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

There's swearing on:
Plain Sailing Weather
Four Simple Words
Good & Gone
(Tell Tale Sings has "God Dammit" if that counts!)
I think that's all.

KangarooAlice
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by KangarooAlice » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Obviously it's your call, but I'd be careful with some of the songs, like Tell Tale Signs, the themes are quite heavy for a 3 year old to hear? I definitely won't be playing this album when I'm babysitting my 2 year old cousin.
"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

Sherlock
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Tape Deck Heart

Post by Sherlock » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks a lot, I haven't heard it yet and just wanted a heads up. Will probably wait till she is in bed then to listen first if some of the stuff is a bit heavy. At least only 3 or 4 songs out of the 18 swear so I can still listen to most in the car. Thanks a lot!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests