best band you've seen this year??

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

MattDriversaur

Post by MattDriversaur » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Well 2012 is drawing to a close. There's been massive events in the uk with blur reforming for the olypics, a royal wedding, my 18th birthday (granted not so big), shit loads of good festivals and shit loads of mega gigs across the nation.

So what was the best band you've seen this year? Festival apperence or a single gig, but there must have been one that's stood out above the rest!!

Mine was probably pulled apart by horses at the dot to dot fest in nottingham. Probably just for the mosh pit. Everyone was going for it, and the band threw beer and wine out to us!! And I came out of it with a blood smattered face. Quality gig
11.11.2012 23.11.2012 rock out with your cock out

IrishFTFan

Re: best band you've seen this year??

Post by IrishFTFan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

It was my first time seeing them and quite frankly a dream come true so they were definitely the best band I've seen this year.

newmy

Post by newmy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Frank @ Wembley
Thrice "farewell show" @ The Forum
HIFH + Hundred Reasons @ The Coronet

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 am

Too easy...KISS at The Forum in Kentish Town.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

macca

Post by macca » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Foo Fighters at Leeds were unreal, they must have done the longest version of Monkey Wrench ever, went on for about 20 minutes. Even better than last time I saw them in Milton Keynes.
My 2nd best is tied between Frank and The Sleeping Souls at Wembley because that felt really special and was crazy how far they have come in a short space of time. And also Mick Jones and The Justice Tonight Band at Stummer Of Love, this was crazy, not so much the crowd or even the musical aspect of the performance but just the vibe around the stage that night, there will children around 9/10 years old in that crowd who knew every word to White Man in Hammersmith Palis, that is all that needs to be said. It was amazing.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm

macca wrote:Frank and The Sleeping Souls at Wembley because that felt really special and was crazy how far they have come in a short space of time.
I wouldn't consider 8 years to be all that short a space of time.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

emcetera

Post by emcetera » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

I think it was probably Japandroids at Heaven at the end of last month.

Slow Club in Bristol, Billy Bragg at Field Day and FT Wembley gig were all pretty great, too.

inca

Post by inca » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Well frank obviously.
I went to see the retrospective soundtrack players a few weeks back they were good but their local support band - one suspicious monkey - were amazing. I really hope they go far

macca

Post by macca » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Evan wrote:
macca wrote:Frank and The Sleeping Souls at Wembley because that felt really special and was crazy how far they have come in a short space of time.
I wouldn't consider 8 years to be all that short a space of time.
Probably should have put that in context, first time I saw Frank it was the Sugarmill in Stoke, holds about 400, then in less than a year next time I see them, they're playing Wembley Arena. It felt like a huge leap.

drinkthesunshinezine

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Not a band, but Joe Summers has been consistently brilliant and I've seen him a couple of times so far this year.
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

drew

Post by drew » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Frank in Boston or NY, Boston had a nicer crowd, less assholey. New York had a better setlist and had a good conversation with Frank and Matt afterwards.

Larry and his Flask at the Royale in Boston.

The Me in You at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Dismally small turnout, ~15 people. But the music was just incredible, check them out if you like mellowish stuff.

bobbyrooney

Post by bobbyrooney » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 am

I'd have said Tom Petty, but he was blown away 2 days later by Bruce Springsteen at Isle Of Wight, INCREDIBLE, couldnt believe how good it was, liked him alot beforehand, came out loving him!

top 5 of the year so far. (still 11 to go)

1 - Bruce Springsteen @ Isle Of Wight Festival
2 - Tom Petty @ Isle Of Wight Festival
3 - The Beach Boys - Wembley Arena
4 - Andrew W.K. - HMV Forum
5 - Paul McCartney @ Royal Albert Hall

Honourable mentions to Frank at Wembley, amazing time, less intimate, but amazing nonetheless. Pulp at Royal Albert hall. Noel Gallagher in Manchester, Beans On Toast at Scala and all of Franks shows i've been to on this current tour!

Looking back at this, it appears all my favourite gigs have been down south, and here's me complaining that all Southern shows are crap!

JohnWayneSwayze

Post by JohnWayneSwayze » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am

Roger Waters playing The Wall @ Fenway Park was the most mindblowing experience possible.
Co-host of The Noise Floor, uncensored internet punk radio. Check us out every Tuesday on UNregularRadio.com or find us at facebook.com/NoiseFloorRadio.

DaveK

Post by DaveK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Frank - Baltimore, MD.
The Used - Silver Spring, MD
Twin Atlantic - Baltimore

Tiber

Post by Tiber » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Direct Hit! at Fest
Atmosphere in Minneapolis on my Birthday
Masked Intruder also at Fest