Page 1 of 2

Where is Amy?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm
by Unorthadox1080
Firstly, amy is mentioned in at least 3 songs
Reasons not to be an idiot
I am Disappeared
???

Do you also think it's the same person or is just fits in easily

Thanks

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 pm
by marzi
The third one is
Tell-Tale Signs - This one goes bloody deep under my skin - shivers all over me - ahh this needs to be on the new record!
And yep it's definitly the same Amy! Tell-tale signs is the end of that trilogy!

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 pm
by minidazzler
It is one person, Frank has said as much, he's also said IIRC that her name isn't really Amy.

That said, as for where she is, probably at some bar in Exeter? :)

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 am
by Evan
I wouldn't read too much into it all.

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:45 am
by Unorthadox1080
marzi wrote:The third one is
Tell-Tale Signs - This one goes bloody deep under my skin - shivers all over me - ahh this needs to be on the new record!
And yep it's definitly the same Amy! Tell-tale signs is the end of that trilogy!
Ahhh thanks, kept thinking it was in a compilation album for some reason. I agree definately the best of the new songs i've heard!

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm
by skhmmxi
Was I the only person listening at Wembley? frank basically explained who Amy was right before he played Reasons. Enough for the majority of people there who probably don't know her, anyway.

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm
by moomin
skhmmxi wrote:Was I the only person listening at Wembley? frank basically explained who Amy was right before he played Reasons. Enough for the majority of people there who probably don't know her, anyway.
did he?

what did he say I cannot remember that at all and reading this has made me curious

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 pm
by SanDimas1988
On the Wembley dvd, before Reasons Not to Be An Idiot he stated the song is about his friend's ex-girlfriend. He's also using this as an intro before he plays it at US shows on this tour,

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 am
by DaveHughes
Winehouse, innit?

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 am
by newmy
DaveHughes wrote:Winehouse, innit?
I always heard she was big on the Exeter bar scene.

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 pm
by Kat
The fact I may have walked past her before, because Exeter's my hometown, freaks me out.

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:29 am
by Bossman66
That's at least 4 of us in Exeter.

We'll have a sub group soon....lol

Bossman

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 am
by NovembersStorms
I think this is personal stuff we shouldn't be delving into. Yes Frank reveals a lot about his personal life in his songs (which I love) but I think that's as far as it should go. It's not for us to pry further.

And someone said earlier about Amy and Reasons Not to be an Idiot. That song was written about a totally different girl.

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 pm
by Unorthadox1080
NovembersStorms wrote:I think this is personal stuff we shouldn't be delving into. Yes Frank reveals a lot about his personal life in his songs (which I love) but I think that's as far as it should go. It's not for us to pry further.

And someone said earlier about Amy and Reasons Not to be an Idiot. That song was written about a totally different girl.
i agree on both accounts, the stories don't match

Re: Where is Amy?

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 pm
by thecosmickid
I'd just like to comment on a few things that have been said in this thread.

First, several people are mentioned in Reasons Not to be an Idiot. Frank's friend's ex is the first one mentioned while Amy is the last one, so Amy is clearly not the friend's ex.

Just before (or just after) England Keep my Bones was released Frank stated, in some interview, that I am Disappeared is fictional. This makes me think that Amy herself is fictional, or perhaps at most inspired by a real person.

Finally, I think you should be able to discuss an artist's personal life. As long as it is relevant to his/her art. For example, do you think it's unethical when scholars analyse every single piece of a poets very personal love letter or his/her diary? Knowing where something came from greatly enhances your understanding of it. So, if you're trying to understand a song you should definitely discuss the writer's personal life because it's a great tool for understanding. If you're doing it purely to satisfy your need for gossip, then it's of course not OK. But we're all fans trying to understand songs we love and that's a good thing! :)