Your all time Top 10 Frank Turner songs???

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

drinkthesunshinezine

Re: Your all time Top 10 Frank Turner songs???

Post by drinkthesunshinezine » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

The top of mine are mostly earlier ones as that's when I got into his music and it reminds me more of travelling, going to FT gigs here there and everywhere, and watching his gradual rise from playing record shops to the Olympic Stadium (via the Oxford Wheatsheaf and places like that).

I just thought to myself - which are the songs I would want to hear live at a perfect gig?

1. The Ballad Of Me And My Friends.
2. Father's Day
3. I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous
4. The Real Damage
5. Long Live The Queen
6. Peggy Sang The Blues
7. Photosynthesis
8. Love, Ire & Song
9. If Ever I Stray
10. I Am Disappeared
Behind The Scene Gloucestershire - a free monthly online music fanzine http://issuu.com/gloszine

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:58 pm

*************************************************UPDATE***************************************

Updated position at 27th October 2012 as promised, after 61 votes:

1. I Am Disapeared - 264
2. I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous - 207
3 The Ballad of Me & My Friends - 169
4. Redemption - 166
5. Photosynthesis - 155
6. I Still Believe - 154
7. Father's Day - 153
8. Love, Ire & Song - 140
9. Balthazar Impressario - 138
10. Long Live The Queen - 129

They are the clear Top 10 actually, the next song being 40 points behind Long Live The Queen.

It's clear though that with just over a month to go there's plenty of room for movement amongst that Top 10, although I Am Disappeared (somewhat surprisingly to me) appears a sure thing to be crowned the All Time top Frank Turner tune (to date).

Tell Tale Signs continues to hold it's position just inside the Top 20, but just a few points for a couple of songs could relegate it outside the Top 20. Still, an amazing performance for an officially unreleased (as yet) song!

Mr Richards was a new entry this week with 3 points & currently tied bottom with a solitary point each are 'Must Try Harder' (Indeed) & This Town Ain't Big Enough For The One Of Me
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks, Mark! Very interesting. Other than a few favorites for personal reasons, I would agree that those 10 are some of Frank's best written songs.

Can't wait to hear him sing them tomorrow night!

Darlene
shows? 90 so far...

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Have a great show Darlene

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

tenaciousdazz

Post by tenaciousdazz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 am

Surprised to hear that 'this town...' only has 1 point - I considered including it in my top 10 at first as I can relate to its sentiment of growing up in small town mentality.
24/08/07, 14/09/07, 22/08/08, 10/12/08, 07/06/09, 30/08/09, 17/10/09, 15/03/10, 26/08/10, 03/12/10, 31/12/10, 09/05/11, 07/07/11, 06/08/11, 26/11/11, 07/07/12, 17/08/12, 17/11/12.
Twitter @tenaciousdazz

js0412

Post by js0412 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:06 pm

tenaciousdazz wrote:Surprised to hear that 'this town...' only has 1 point - I considered including it in my top 10 at first as I can relate to its sentiment of growing up in small town mentality.
It got 1 point from me, I'm surprised that's all it has too. It was the first solo FT song I ever heard, is a painfully accurate description of growing up in a small town, and is just really good fun. Maybe as it's not on any albums?

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 pm

js0412 wrote:
tenaciousdazz wrote:Surprised to hear that 'this town...' only has 1 point - I considered including it in my top 10 at first as I can relate to its sentiment of growing up in small town mentality.
It got 1 point from me, I'm surprised that's all it has too. It was the first solo FT song I ever heard, is a painfully accurate description of growing up in a small town, and is just really good fun. Maybe as it's not on any albums?

I believe it's on 'The First 3 Years'

I must check it out (tomorrow) given these comments. Maybe any new voters will include it. Just about a month to go.

I will publish the whole list after I've given Frank the spreadsheet.

Bossman

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Bossman66 wrote:
js0412 wrote:

I believe it's on 'The First 3 Years'

I must check it out (tomorrow) given these comments. Maybe any new voters will include it. Just about a month to go.

I will publish the whole list after I've given Frank the spreadsheet.

Bossman
It was on the first EP, which is indeed on The First Three Years
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

js0412

Post by js0412 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 pm

I have Campfire Punkrock but never got The First Three Years as nearly all the tracks on it I'd already acquired elsewhere... I just meant it wasn't on the studio albums so is perhaps a little less well known. An awesome song that I believe deserves more points!

Marty_j

Post by Marty_j » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

Not easy but here goes:
1 Redemption - just a perfect song
2 Love Ire & Song - love the lyrics and the way Frank delivers it - especially "well thats a fucking cop out!"
3 This Town Ain't Big Enough.... - Nice bluesy feel, cracking lyrics.
4 Hold Your Tongue - Just sounds very differentt o what you'd expect from Frank and like the tuning and pitch.
5 Try This At Home - 2 and half minutes of jumping around
6 I am disappeared - for all the reasons others have stated, my daughters favourite song too!
7 The Real Damage - awesome live
8 Glory Hallelujah - Great lyrics fabulous live, and being a rank atheist can totally relate to it. "The finger pointed justified by phantoms up above"
9 The Road - Frank always delivers great songs when singing about being out on tour - again fabulous live
10 Balthazar Impresario - Excellent song kind of wasted as a bonus track on England... deserves more exposure.

The above changes daily however and depending on mood I would have had Ballad..., Wisdom Teeth, Thatcher, Prufrock, Subsitute, Casanova Lament, Jet Lag & Outdor Type somewhere. Jeez you forget how many Frank songs have a place in my heart

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am

3 weeks to go guys. 29th Nov is the realistic closing date if I'm gonna give the resultant spreadsheet to Mr Turner on 1st December at Bath.

He's seen this thread (see the ask me forum), so if you want him to see your Top 10, you need to start getting them in.

I plan on leaving any more results announcements until the end now as voting has slowed & to keep it a little more interesting when it's over.

Bossman

CharlotteTheHarlot28

Post by CharlotteTheHarlot28 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm

This is not an easy task but I like a challenge so here goes nothing!:

1. A Love Worth Keeping - The first Frank Turner song I ever heard. I connected with it and his music immediately afterwards; number 1 will never be replaced.
2. Redemption - The way this song builds up makes me anticipate it all the more more each time I hear it; such a powerful song.
3. Love Ire & Song - Lyrical genius.
4. Worse Things Happen At Sea - Every time I hear this song I think that Frank is going to explode when he sings it because there's so much aggression in his voice. It's amazing!
5. Heartless Bastard Motherfucker - Such an upbeat, 'fuck you' sort of song! Makes me feel all warm inside :)
6. The Road - I just love this song. It's inspirational.
7. Poetry Of The Deed - For me, this song defines Frank Turner as an artist. If someone asked me to recommend a song of his I would pick this one. Frank at his best in my opinion!
8. Imperfect Tense - When I sing this song I feel triumphant! Love, love, LOVE IT!
9. My Kingdom For A Horse - 'Don't you ever kind of wish that the world would just stop?' - A feeling many of us can relate to I'm sure; it's a very easy song to connect with.
10. A Decent Cup Of Tea - Frank stripped down. A beautiful, original masterpiece.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure the list would be different but right now these are my top 10. If I could've picked a cover to add to my list it would've been 'The Quiet One'. A very, very sexy song!!

Dave-Ex

Post by Dave-Ex » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Bossman

After speaking to you in work this morning ive been racking my brains to come up with a top10
ive got 15 so far, will cut it down to 10 in the next couple of days & post it on Wednesday.

Great thread by the way.

wakingsleep

Post by wakingsleep » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:19 pm

1. Redemption. It's so full of feeling and really powerful. I love how it starts quieter but builds up to this...despair, then comes back to the quiet end verse. It's so beautiful and I think it'll always be my favourite song by anyone, let alone Frank. Also, East of Eden is one of my favourite books and I was reading it when I heard the song for the first time. It was slightly surreal and I thought I'd misheard the "Adam Trask" lyric at first.
2. Father's Day. I thought I related to this song, then I saw it performed live and now I don't think I'll ever find something I relate to as much as this. It's really powerful, particularly the end section.
3. Substitute. It's so beautifully sad and understated. And it's a lyrical masterpiece, in my opinion.
4. Jet Lag. I can't even put a finger on why I love this one...I just do.
5. Reasons Not to Be An Idiot. This was the first of his songs I fell in love with. I love how it just states what you really want to yell at people sometimes. It's not that bad, so get up. And get down. And get outside. Etc.
6. I Am Disappeared. Everyone's favourite, apparently! Ha. It's a brilliant track in basically every way.
7. Photosynthesis. Love how upbeat it is, and there could surely be no better show closer!
8. Richard Devine. I loved the sound of this song before I really sat down and listened to what the lyrics are saying. I wasn't expecting it to be so...tragic, and hard-hitting, and...how it is. But if anything I love it more now. It says important things.
9. If Ever I Stray. I just love it. It's ridiculously fun to sing along to once you've mastered the verses, which took me longer than it should. xD
10. The Fastest Way Back Home.

Ah, got them in a playlist of their own now, so that's my listening material sorted for the next...many days! Long Live the Queen and Wisdom Teeth missed the cut by such a tiny amount. 10's never felt like so small a number!

SpyKi

Post by SpyKi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 pm

1. I Am Disappeared
2. I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous
3. Redemption
4. A Love Worth Keeping
5. Worse Things Happen at Sea
6. Wanderlust
7. Love, Ire & Song
8. Long Live the Queen
9. Father's Day
10. Hold Your Tongue