Your all time Top 10 Frank Turner songs???

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

macca182

Re: Your all time Top 10 Frank Turner songs???

Post by macca182 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 am

1. Ballad Of Me & My Friends. My first FT song. I love the line "we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell."
2. I Am Disappeared. I love this song, beautifully written and the bridge gives me goosebumps
3. Redemption. You can feel the emotion when Frank is singing, obviously means a lot to him. A good song to drive to :)
4. Balthazar, Impresario (specifically the live at wembley version recorded for NME). I thought about putting this number 1 but having "emotional ties" to the first 3, it comes in at 4. Love playing this on guitar too.
5. St. Christopher is coming home. Reminds me of when i was travelling.
6. Substitute. "Ive had many different girls inside my bed, but only one or two inside my head."
7. Eulogy. My girlfriend got my a birthday card last year with the opening lyrics to this inside. Makes me smile when i hear it.
8. To Take You Home. Great guitar riff, the female singer backs it up perfectly. I remember this and Ballad... specifically from the first time i saw FT live.
9. Faithful Son. No other reason other then its a bloody good song :)
10. Love Ire & Song. Always makes me feel good when i hear it!

Surprisingly hard to narrow it down to 10!!

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:26 am

Nice list and comments Macca.

Please keep them coming.

Update tomorrow if I can.

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

Timoth

Post by Timoth » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 am

My all time favorite Top 10 Frank Turner songs are followings

(1) The Next Round
(2) Tell Tale Signs
(3) I Am Disappeared
(4) Redemption
(5) I Knew Prufrock
(6) Wisdom Teeth
(7) Reasons Not To Be An Idiot
(8) Sunday Nights
(9) Eulogy
(10) The Road

inbarigami

Post by inbarigami » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 pm

The numbering is pretty random:

1 - I am disappeared - I sleep with my passport, waiting for that morning.
2 - Love Ire & Song - I love everything about it. It inspires me.
3 - Long live the queen - It moves me. Lately I haven't been able to play/sing it.. My dad's been sick and now I find it a bit upsetting to sing it. Still love that song though.
4 - My kingdom for a horse - One of my favourites. Just brilliant. If/when I'll get a tattoo I'll probably take a line or two off it.
5 - Wanderlust - The distance keeps calling me on.
6 - Photosynthesis - First Frank song. Has a special place in my heart, mainly because of "no one's yet explained to me exactly what's so great about slaving 50 years away on something that you hate".
7 - Try this at home - Happiest most inspiring song ever.
8 - If I ever stray - I think the idea behind this song is really important for one to be happy with his life.
9 - Dan's song - Makes me think of a good friend, we pretty much follow that song. :P
10 - St Christopher is coming home - I sort of feel like that half the time. Also love the melody.

KangarooAlice

Post by KangarooAlice » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm

It's so hard to choose! Ok, here goes...
1. Reasons Not To Be An Idiot - Last year I found it incredibly difficult to go anywhere on my own - it literally encouraged me to 'get up and get down and get outside'!
2. I Still Believe - Sometimes music is the only thing that makes sense.
3. I Am Disappeared - The idea behind the song, and the descending scale thing in the chorus (sorry, haven't studied music in a while!)
4. Balthazar, Impresario (the one recorded in an empty Wembley) - It's just beautiful. I like playing it on guitar too.
5. Photosynthesis - It's just fun to listen to. (and sing along to until you realise you're on a train, not at home on your own..) :P
6. Try This At Home - Same as above.
7. Father's Day - Personal experiences really. It 'get' it. (cliche' of the week - check!) :P
8. A Decent Cup Of Tea - I'm not sure whether I love it this song, or hate it. Before I got that album, someone said about this song, and how sad it was. Within about 20 seconds, I understood!
9. The Road - I live in a town that is so indescribably dull, run down and familiar, I make sure I visit different places as much as I can. I guess The Road sort of matches that.
10. Our Lady of the Campfire - It's just, well, a nice tune! Lyrics too. It reminds me of Champagne Supernova a little bit, not quite sure why.
"I'm not hungover, I have the Booze Blues!!"

timkelly

Post by timkelly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Couldnt possibly order them...

-I still believe
-isabel
-live fast die old
-richard devine
-balthazar impresario
-substitute
-four simple words
-i am disappeared
-hold your tongue
-the ballad of me and my friends
I want to dance.

"You've got food on your back, you've got clothes in your mouth. You should be f*cking happy."

helentx

Post by helentx » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:24 pm

before you get your wrists slapped (see above) !!! bossman isn't doing halves or ties. but if you pick one for 10 points & give the rest 5 points that would sort it for 55 points in total. just a suggestion.

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks Helen, I need help policing it cos I'm getting weighed down by the Springsteen vote on my 'other' site where we have 350 votes to contend with!

timkelly - I'd really like you to try & rank 'em. We all know these lists are 'fluid' & favourites change & come & go & get replaced by new songs sometimes.

It'd be neater to allocate them scores of 10 (for your favourite) down to 1 for your 1oth favourite, especially as I now hope to present Frank with the resultant spreadsheet at Bath.

Will do an update when you respond

Bossman
Amy worked in a bar in Exeter, Springsteen came clear in my headphones - Frank, did you write these lyrics for me?

DaveK

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 am

1. Photosynthesis
2. One Foot Before The Other
3. Redemption
4. Love Ire & Song
5. Long Live The Queen
6. I Still Believe
7. Peggy Sang The Blues
8. Live Fast Die Old
9. If Ever I Stray
10. Once We Were Anarchists

(Sorry Prufrock, Balthazar, Rivers, Front Crawl.... love you too!)

timkelly

Post by timkelly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Oops - sorry! I guess I kinda missed the whole point of the thread :P (serves me right for skimming the original post I suppose!)
Good god this is difficult, but here they are!

10 - balthazar impresario
9 - I still believe
8 - the ballad of me and my friends
7 - i am disappeared
6 - live fast die old
5 - richard divine
4 - substitute
3 - isabel
2 - four simple words
1 - hold your tongue
I want to dance.

"You've got food on your back, you've got clothes in your mouth. You should be f*cking happy."

bobbyrooney

Post by bobbyrooney » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 pm

1 - Photosynthesis - Its been his closer for every show i've seen him in (late started, but turning vet!), so it's always been great song for me! Great to sing along to!
2 - I Still Believe - The 1st song i listened to by Frank, I Bloody Love it
3 - The Real Damage - I can just relate to it, just a cracker, one of his best.
3 = The Road - Forgot to Put it in!
4 - St Christopher Is Coming Home - Love it, he did it first time i saw him and now im 10 and waiting for him to do it again!
5 - Ballad Of Me And My Friends - Weirdly i used to hate this, but love it now, it shows an amazing bond between frank and his hardcore imo!
6 - Pass It Along - Just a great great track
7 - Back In The Day - Happy, Cheery Song, Epitome of why i love watching Frank.
8 - Wessex Boy - It's great in it's own modern way
9 - Love, Ire & Song - I love it, such a great song.
Then it really is a toss up of Sons of Liberty, Reasons, Pruffock but i think it has to be
10 - Live Fast, Die Old - GREAT!

Roll on November and December then hopefully a Glastonbury appearance next year!

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:31 pm

I posted my top 10 already, so this is not to be counted again, but Bossman asked me to add reasons. Here they are:

10. St Christopher is coming home.
I love the melody of this song, especially the chorus. Nice words too. About the only one that I don't have specific reasons for. I heard it played last Sunday in New York, which was great.

9. I still believe.
I completely agree with the sentiment of this one. I am a total music nut, and have been for as long as I can remember. I started buying records when I was six. One thing that annoys me no end is music fans who whinge that everything was better in the 60's and 70's. It is as good today if you are prepared to listen and to me that is what 'I still believe' is about.
This song is full of cool phrases. I am a sucker for lines with good rhyme and rhythm ("A cold and wet September day, I touched the ground in JFK"; perhaps my favourite opening line ever) and I love the 'Elvis brings his children home / you never have to feel alone / teenage kicks and gramophones' part.
Also loved the pantomime part when Frank used to say at concerts that of course it was a competition which audience shouts the loudest. And nice to have all these different people doing the harmonica solo live.

8. Sailor's boots.
My favourite Frank-songs tend to be the fast and furious ones and the slower melodic ones, rather than mid tempo ones. I am a folk fan too so this song fits into that vein. A lovely song. I like the video too, with the "B side.." mumbling at the end.

7. If ever I stray.
This was immediately one of my favourites when I got 'England keep my bones'. Again there is a part of the lyrics that I totally identify with: As long as I got a place to sleep, some clothes on my back and some food to eat then I can't ask for anything more.
People want too much stuff these days. I spend my money on the things I love most (music and travel) and that's it (alongside rent and food, of course). We don't need much else really.
Also love the really heavy bit following 'One two three four'. It is amazing live. I am still reeling from the two New York shows. For the second New York show 'If ever I stray' was played as the second encore. A great slot for it.
Also like the Mr Darcy look in the video..

6. Cowboy chords.
My favourite of the new songs (alongside 'Four simple words' actually). I think this is absolutely beautiful and I very much hope it will make it onto the album proper so that as many people as possible get to hear it. Beautiful tune, great words and a very cool title. If only T-Bone Burnett would produce this suddenly the world would sit up and listen. I requested this song back in February when I attended two shows back to back and was overjoyed when Frank played it.

5. Try this at home.
A highlight at every concert. It is so exhilarating to be near the front with everybody jumping, singing, dancing around you. I imagine that when I am old and reminisce about what it was like to be young(ish), I would think back of being at the front at a Frank Turner concert with this being played.

4. Long live the queen.
The one that got me. I had a ticket for Glastonbury 2010 and was checking out bands beforehand, as with the smaller stages the festival program only has a list of names; no descriptions of the acts. On i-Tunes I discovered that Frank had recorded 'Thunder Road' (I am first and foremost a Bruce fan). I then went to his Myspace site and heard 'Long live the queen'. Wow…
My mum died at a young age from an incurable disease, I had a health scare myself and I work as a care assistant in a home for the elderly, so mortality is something I am always aware of. Awareness is good, but there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, so we may as well get on with things and enjoy ourselves as much as possible whilst here. This song describes that better than anything else I can think of.
I am chuffed that it is precisely during this song that I am in the 'Live from Wembley' DVD, although I prefer the heavy guitar version to the acoustic one.

3. Back in the day.
This is getting repetitive: Great tune, great words. Another one with great rhyme. And I like the raggle taggle vibe and the fiddle. Particularly like the lines 'Punk rock's in the ink that's in my skin, attitudes to every song I sing'. I came on board relatively late so have not heard this live very often. I wish Frank would bring it back.

2. Balthazar impressario.
A masterpiece that unexplicably got left off the standard album. Why oh why??! This is something that Ray Davies could have written, in my opinion. Lovely descriptive lyrics: 'I smooth my thinning hair in a gilded mirror' etc. I also like the old-fashioned subject matter.
Frank is an old-fashioned artist anyway and I mean that as a great compliment, the way he got to where he is by constant touring, word of mouth, the way he puts on an evening of entertainment and always brings class support acts. Long may it continue.
I only discovered the NME solo version from Wembley the other day, after reading through this thread. An amazing version.

1. Photosynthesis.
Frank's 'Born to run'. Much as I would be in favour of more set list variation (with Springsteen 50% of the set can very from one day to the next….) I can't imagine and wouldn't want this song ever to be dropped. It is such a joyous celebration, absolutely perfect.
I very much identified with the line about slaving years away on something that you hate (I worked in a call centre but was saved by redundancy). Honourable mention has to go to Tarrant. I love watching him during this song. Have never seen a bass player throw shapes like that!
Last edited by Watergirl on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
872 1064/84/87/88 1133/34/84/85 1216/57/81/82 1307/08/09/10 1364 1444/45/46/63 1527/29/30/43/45 1621/22/23/97/98 1700/04/82/84/85/86 1808/29/30/31/76/77 1958/77/97/99 2000/76/87 2153/54 2174/75/76/77/78 2254/55 2339/40/41/42/43/55/58/76 2425/32/66/67/73

Tammy215

Post by Tammy215 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 pm

This list changes with my moods, lol , so difficult to choose, but right here, right now
(1) To Take You Home
(2) Redemption
(3) I am disappeared
(4) Peggy Sang the Blues
(5)Long Live the Queen
(6)I Knew Prufrock
(7) Rivers
(8) Isabel
(9) Dan's Song
(10) Richard Divine
1263-Boston, 1281-NYC, 1350-Northhampton MA, 1351-Clifton Park NY, 1352-NYC, 1404-Asbury Park NJ

Me!!!

Post by Me!!! » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm

1 ) Father's Day
2 ) Long Live The Queen
3 ) Four Simple Words
4 ) Glory Hallelujah
5 ) Casanova Lament
6 ) I Still Believe
7 ) I Am Disappeared
8 ) Dan's Song
9 ) The Ballad Of Me And My Friends
10 ) Try This At Home

Bossman66

Post by Bossman66 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am

Sorry Guys, I'm gonna try & do the update this afternoon!

Helen (watergirl) - Think you misunderstood me maybe. I wanted reasons for your Bruce list on btx, but I love what you've written

Bossman