Heavy metal help

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

BigEgg

Re: Heavy metal help

Post by BigEgg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

I dunno if they're exactly what you're looking for (and these bands vary in sound fairly dramatically) but for a more 'punk' thing try

The Bronx
Refused
Desaparecidos
Braid
Far
Rites of Spring
Titus Andronicus

A lot of this isn't that HEAVY though all of these bands utalise screaming to a certain extent. Refused are by far the heaviest band out of that selection, and well worth checking out (especially for the amazing drumming).
Lets not settle for satisfaction, we are women and men of action.

Syracusepunk

Post by Syracusepunk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm

From Ashes Rise
Tragedy
Toxic Narcotic
9 Shocks Terror

:)

Not metal but heavy and awesome.

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

wow thank you guys!

going to have plenty of time on my hands this week to check them out
:D

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:13 pm

A new High On Fire track is online, and worth a listen: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/132 ... ame=tracks
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

moomin

Post by moomin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:01 pm

tenaciousdazz wrote: Kyuss
Them Crooked Vultures

had Kyuss in my album collection for ages and never listened to them so rectified that this week on my way to work
not bad and really have no idea why I have not listened to them before as they are quite relaxing

TCV
I love Queens of the Stone age and have for years so in honesty to me TCV sound like b sides to the last two albums

Slayer however I have really enjoyed
the rest I am working through at much slower pace as previously hoped as a return love has been taking my free time
namely Superbike racing

CharlotteTheHarlot28

Post by CharlotteTheHarlot28 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 pm

FelipeS wrote:These may not be metal per say, but Defeater is easily one of the best Hardcore bands I have heard in the last year. If you love lyrics and very loud music then they are great. And their entire discography tells a complete story. :D
Defeater are brilliant. Good shout.

May I also recommend Protest The Hero and The Dillinger Escape Plan? Top stuff.

Cheese'thans

Post by Cheese'thans » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

took a quick scan and I would add the following:

If you have not yet looked at the transitional/progressive metal I would suggest:

Animals as Leaders (my favorite cause its all instrumental, they also do instructional youtube vids)
Between the buried and me (the genre staple currently)
Tesseract (they're British I believe)

On the more punk/hardcore side of metal if you like killswitch engage you might enjoy August Burns Red as well, you could maybe make a case for Rise Against as well

Hajamo

Post by Hajamo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 pm

The first 3/4 Metallica albums are good, after the 4th it all goes a bit pear shaped. Have a go with:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Electric Wizard - really nicely heavy doom metal
Municipal Waste - Crossover thrash so quite punkish, Waste 'em all and Massive Aggressive lean more towards punk than metal I think
Megadeth - I'd say try Rust in Peace/Peace sells... first
Evile
Mutant - unsigned but one of the best live acts I've seen
Bloodbath - Not sure if you were after death metal but they're a great example of the best of it
Opeth

Have a go with these, should tide you over for at least a few minutes!

KillerShrimp

Post by KillerShrimp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Try "Funeral For A Friend", especially their latest "Welcome Home Armageddon".
Very good for a bit of healthy headbanging. :!:

Iwillnotgrowup

Post by Iwillnotgrowup » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:47 pm

I love metal and hard rock. Off the top of my head, here are some bands that I would recommend a listen to. Not everyones cup of tea but I like it all. Probably missed loads off but these instantly popped into my head.

Some Heavy, some not so heavy, some good old fashioned rock n roll.

Guns N Roses
The Little Angels
Def Leppard
Pantera
Faith No More
Down
Soulfly
System of A Down
Therapy?
Killswitch Engage
The Cult
Thunder
Chickenfoot
Slipknot
Motley Crue
Five Finger Death Punch
Korn
Marilyn Manson
Poison
Whitesnake
Van Halen
Limp Bizkit
AC/DC
Alice in Chains
Kiss
Black Stone Cherry
Machine Head
Judas Priest
Motley Crue
Black Sabbath
Buckcherry

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Hey Moomin, remind me to bring you the Incinery EP on Friday.

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:39 pm

sooo finally got some money together and have gotten myself De Vermis Mysteriis by High On Fire
also fallen for a band called Hawk Eyes (previously known as Chickenhawk) not as heavy by any means but plenty of lovely screaming material

Now I just need a more steady income to get more, also after listening more to the likes of Maiden and Slayer, Metallica have pretty much lost all appeal
although Bullet I still listen to as some easy listening screamy singalong stuff
really good for doing housework to as you don't really miss anything when you pop the hoover on :lol:

also have been listening to GnR since I was 15 and recently been rinsing Appetite as it sounded awesome in the sun

metalyellowman

Post by metalyellowman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:49 pm

I know I'm a bit late with this, but check out
36 crazy fists song Slit wrist theory,
Suicidal Tendencies greatest hits CD prime cuts,
you wouldn't go far wrong with Attica Rage road dog album from last year its a real mix,
and Black stone cherry between the devil...
Steel panther for a bit of fun
and the latest Van Halen album is worth a shot.
Good luck
Wem Stad,Regal Ox,Borderline,Hippodrome(solo),Roadmender,Hammy O,Paradisio Amst,WemArena,Roundhouse(Solo),Hexagon,LeamSpa,02 Oxford, Pavill Bath,HMV Forum,2000 Trees(Solo),Forum Hatfield,02 Arena,Ynot,St Albans, Oxford,Cecil Sharpe house (book tour)

stevefrench

Post by stevefrench » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 pm

if you want some good, new thrashy stuff, check out bands like Gama Bomb, Evile, Municipal Waste. They are good. its very debatable but I think Trivium is a really good band, their last 2 albums being really, really well put together. newer one In Waves is much more slick than Shogun, but both are great.

if you want some really heavy shit you can check out Opeth, Emperor, Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity (these guys are amazing), Gojira, Meshuggah, Edge of Sanity, Death, Strapping Young Lad, Nevermore (very underrated band). All these guys are personal favorites and can really do no wrong in my book.

Then you have stuff like...american heavy rock/metal stuff. Megadeth, Lamb of God (didn't care for their last 2 but the newest one is pretty good), Mastodon, The Sword, Slayer, Death Angel, Suicidal Tendencies, Shadows Fall

the singer from Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, does amazing solo stuff. a good album to start with would be Addicted by Devin Townsend Project. it's pretty catchy, really heavy, has a great guest vocalist (the old singer from The Gathering, another really good band) and its definitely worth listening to. youtubes is your hero