No
38%

Total votes: 24

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Thu May 05, 2011 7:07 pm

No from me.

Clur

Post by Clur » Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 pm

If you remember my husband getting arrested last year at the General Election as there was dodgy stuff going on at our polling station... well he's decided to be difficult again this year as he was so pissed off at both campaigns being truly atrocious and has made another, this time somewhat more sedate protest.

clicky

As for me, I'm yet to actually see one reason why AV is actually 'better', other than the ultra vague and not really true "because its fairer". Ended up voting NO largely on this basis and all my friends on FB shouting YES and comparing AV to voting on 'Help I'm a Celebrity' and just generally annoying me.

If we are going for a voting system that is like voting on Big Brother then god help us. Everyone knows that this system means that the best contestants are voted out in the early rounds thus leaving the dull, dreary and boring as sin ones who fly under the radar rather than having a backbone and expressing an opinion. Need I say more... ?

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I fail to see how big brother's voting is anything but first past the post with multiple voting allowed?
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Clur wrote:If you remember my husband getting arrested last year at the General Election as there was dodgy stuff going on at our polling station... well he's decided to be difficult again this year as he was so pissed off at both campaigns being truly atrocious and has made another, this time somewhat more sedate protest.

clicky
Haha, I was very inclined to do exactly the same until I decided I really didn't want AV... a third "The manner in which we must choose between incompetent bastards A, B & C is really of little consequence to me" option would have been preferable. Alas.

Clur

Post by Clur » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Tomasz wrote:I fail to see how big brother's voting is anything but first past the post with multiple voting allowed?
Big Brother is vote to save for the early rounds. (The person/people who survive are the least offensive ones rather than the most popular). Week after week you effectively vote off the most offensive/least popular.

It only becomes vote to win (First Past the Post) for the final.

skhmmi

Post by skhmmi » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Clur wrote:
Tomasz wrote:I fail to see how big brother's voting is anything but first past the post with multiple voting allowed?
Big Brother is vote to save for the early rounds. (The person/people who survive are the least offensive ones rather than the most popular). Week after week you effectively vote off the most offensive/least popular.

It only becomes vote to win (First Past the Post) for the final.
I think Big Brother's voting system most closely resembles that known in politics as an "exhaustive ballot", where actual multiple rounds of voting occur, with campaigning in between, as each candidate has to figure out how to pick up the voters who chose eliminated candidates in previous rounds, until they claim a majority.
218,278,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,981,1000,next:Hammersmith 2011-11-27

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Rout

newmy

Post by newmy » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Pete wrote:Rout
People=shit.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 pm

newmy wrote:
Pete wrote:Rout
AV=shit.
FYP Corey

longlivethefrank

Post by longlivethefrank » Sat May 07, 2011 12:30 am

Clur wrote:If you remember my husband getting arrested last year at the General Election as there was dodgy stuff going on at our polling station... well he's decided to be difficult again this year as he was so pissed off at both campaigns being truly atrocious and has made another, this time somewhat more sedate protest.

clicky

As for me, I'm yet to actually see one reason why AV is actually 'better', other than the ultra vague and not really true "because its fairer". Ended up voting NO largely on this basis and all my friends on FB shouting YES and comparing AV to voting on 'Help I'm a Celebrity' and just generally annoying me.

If we are going for a voting system that is like voting on Big Brother then god help us. Everyone knows that this system means that the best contestants are voted out in the early rounds thus leaving the dull, dreary and boring as sin ones who fly under the radar rather than having a backbone and expressing an opinion. Need I say more... ?
Just to reiterate, the reasons why I think its fairer are because 1) you no longer need to vote tactically and 2) because MPs represent their whole constituency and not only those that vote for them, so 2nd choices are relevant. In my opinion.

But alas. Shouldve been AV+ anyway.