The I FUCKING LOVE COMPUTER GAMES/VIDEO GAMES Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

marky mark

Post by marky mark » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 pm

My housemate said that they're going to carry on making updates for the original L4D which surprised me slightly..

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Gerry wrote:I made a promise to myself that if I ever found out who it was, I would break their knees and proceed to rape them :twisted:
If they're a man and you do as you've just suggested you'll be playing right into their hands and proving their claims of homosexuality. Live burial instead of rape, perhaps?
Stu

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:16 pm

aza484 wrote:
Kilobyte wrote:So, on a completely unrelated-to-the-current-discussion note, but a quite-related-to-the-thread-topic one, my WoW account has been hacked.

Haven't played it in a few months now, but it's still active (till early December), and just got an email notifying me the password had been changed. I swiftly changed it. And several minutes later, they'd changed it once again.

Long story short, I'm waiting on a reply from Blizzard, my two main characters have most of their gear gone, and I'm breathing fire.

I don't even play it anymore. But these hackers have gone and messed with MY property. And there will be vengeance. Oh, yes.
I was so proud of myself for kicking the WoW habit a few years back. Soul-sucking life-destroying awesomeness that it is.

Nevertheless, kill all hackers. Revenge must be served (straight out the freezer).

I'm going to hate myself for posting this but...

In a few months time does anyone want to start (or restart) playing an MMO?

More specifically Champions online or WoW.

I say a few months time because I've got to build a new PC and I'm waiting for components prices to drop.

Yep. I'm cool.
Stu

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:22 pm

teamescape wrote:
aza484 wrote:
Kilobyte wrote:So, on a completely unrelated-to-the-current-discussion note, but a quite-related-to-the-thread-topic one, my WoW account has been hacked.

Haven't played it in a few months now, but it's still active (till early December), and just got an email notifying me the password had been changed. I swiftly changed it. And several minutes later, they'd changed it once again.

Long story short, I'm waiting on a reply from Blizzard, my two main characters have most of their gear gone, and I'm breathing fire.

I don't even play it anymore. But these hackers have gone and messed with MY property. And there will be vengeance. Oh, yes.
I was so proud of myself for kicking the WoW habit a few years back. Soul-sucking life-destroying awesomeness that it is.

Nevertheless, kill all hackers. Revenge must be served (straight out the freezer).

I'm going to hate myself for posting this but...

In a few months time does anyone want to start (or restart) playing an MMO?

More specifically Champions online or WoW.

I say a few months time because I've got to build a new PC and I'm waiting for components prices to drop.

Yep. I'm cool.
I'll probably be restarting WoW when the next expansion comes out, but not really playing it too much recently. Although logging on to retrieve all my lost items/gold kind of made me want to.

Only played the first campaign of Left 4 Dead 2 (Dead Center) so far, and it was OK I guess, more personality and interaction between the characters, and more to do than just one safehouse to the next (gauntlet events and such). Nothing too exciting about it though, after having done that campaign. The AI is slightly better (I saw Lewis glitch himself onto a flaming barrel and end up dying of burns in the first), but the enemy AI Director seems to throw the special Infected at you too often. It's not rare to go down some stairs to find both a hunter and a charger waiting for you, or to be attacked by 3 or so special infected at once.

Still, it's good fun, so I'm not complaining.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:02 pm

teamescape wrote:
Gerry wrote:I made a promise to myself that if I ever found out who it was, I would break their knees and proceed to rape them :twisted:
If they're a man and you do as you've just suggested you'll be playing right into their hands and proving their claims of homosexuality. Live burial instead of rape, perhaps?
Hmm... Just as brutal and effective. Might be a better solution.

Thanks Teamescape
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

marky mark

Post by marky mark » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 am

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Gerry wrote:
teamescape wrote:

Thanks Teamescape
. I bet it was teamescape who hacked it
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Chris Twat

Post by Chris Twat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

Kilobyte wrote:It's not rare to go down some stairs to find both a hunter and a charger waiting for you, or to be attacked by 3 or so special infected at once.

Still, it's good fun, so I'm not complaining.
I found that chargers and jockeys seem to occur most frequently, as in every 2 minutes or so. It gets to be a bit of a pain as jockeys are right fucks to get off. I'm quite disappointed with how easy the achievements are on the old xbox, I've already got 22/50 of them.

The bridge ending for the Parish campaign is bloody ridiculous. I couldn't comprehend a moving finale, in a similar way the Dead Center finale is really simple. One time we played it and managed to get all the gas tanks and load up the car before the first tank arrived.

My favourite feature of the game is the chainsaw, that is fucking brutal. I especially like how you can use it to cut a smoker's tongue if you get caught so you don't have to rely on team mates or spastic AI.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Poetofthedeed wrote:
Gerry wrote:
teamescape wrote: If they're a man and you do as you've just suggested you'll be playing right into their hands and proving their claims of homosexuality. Live burial instead of rape, perhaps?

Thanks Teamescape
. I bet it was teamescape who hacked it
Couldn't have been. Was around the time MD split up and I wasn't a forumer
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:01 pm

....i was joking
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Chris Twat wrote:My favourite feature of the game is the chainsaw, that is fucking brutal. I especially like how you can use it to cut a smoker's tongue if you get caught so you don't have to rely on team mates or spastic AI.
I take back what I said earlier about the AI having improved. I've had to restart sections several times over, sometimes to the point of annoyance where I've quit the campaigns, because the AI in the game is, well... atrocious.

They tend to rely on the first weapon they pick up, so instead of switching main weapon to get more ammo when they're out, they just use their melee weapon till you reach an ammo pile. They often refuse to pick up medkits when they don't have one currently, and the biggest peeve: if you're caught by a special infected, helping you is low on their priority list. In the first, if this happened, their priority would be to help you, unless they were literally unable to move themselves due to zombies. In this, I've seen them fighting off small amounts of zombies while I get pummelled by a charger, and when they finally do realise (i.e. when I'm on knockdown-health), they'll try to stop him using their melee weapon, which usually means them running over to help. Seriously big problem, which I'm hoping Valve fix soon, because it's seriously affecting the Single Player experience.

Ok, rant over. Have yet to experience Hard Rain and The Parish because I haven't had enough time over the weekend. I've heard Hard Rain is excellent though, so much looking forward to playing it.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Kilobyte wrote:
Chris Twat wrote:My favourite feature of the game is the chainsaw, that is fucking brutal. I especially like how you can use it to cut a smoker's tongue if you get caught so you don't have to rely on team mates or spastic AI.
I take back what I said earlier about the AI having improved. I've had to restart sections several times over, sometimes to the point of annoyance where I've quit the campaigns, because the AI in the game is, well... atrocious.

They tend to rely on the first weapon they pick up, so instead of switching main weapon to get more ammo when they're out, they just use their melee weapon till you reach an ammo pile. They often refuse to pick up medkits when they don't have one currently, and the biggest peeve: if you're caught by a special infected, helping you is low on their priority list. In the first, if this happened, their priority would be to help you, unless they were literally unable to move themselves due to zombies. In this, I've seen them fighting off small amounts of zombies while I get pummelled by a charger, and when they finally do realise (i.e. when I'm on knockdown-health), they'll try to stop him using their melee weapon, which usually means them running over to help. Seriously big problem, which I'm hoping Valve fix soon, because it's seriously affecting the Single Player experience.

Ok, rant over. Have yet to experience Hard Rain and The Parish because I haven't had enough time over the weekend. I've heard Hard Rain is excellent though, so much looking forward to playing it.
Fuck I'm jealous. I absolutely loved L4D and I'm contemplating building a totally new PC just to play L4D 2, Empire: Total War and Fallout 3 (on higher graphics).

Speaking of which -

Would I be justified in paying £550 for a new PC? I mean, is this too much money? I've been obsessing over the idea of building a new gaming PC for the last month or so and I'm trying to figure out whether I can justify it or not.
Stu

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 pm

teamescape wrote:Fuck I'm jealous. I absolutely loved L4D and I'm contemplating building a totally new PC just to play L4D 2, Empire: Total War and Fallout 3 (on higher graphics).

Speaking of which -

Would I be justified in paying £550 for a new PC? I mean, is this too much money? I've been obsessing over the idea of building a new gaming PC for the last month or so and I'm trying to figure out whether I can justify it or not.
At current prices, £550 will be enough to get you a PC that'll run most high-level games at medium or high settings. It depends on how much use you're planning to get out of it. What you've got to remember is that, while it's more than a console, you'll be using it for other things (internet, work etc.), have many more capabilities (mods, keyboard + mouse etc.) and games on the whole are released £10 or so cheaper.

If you're looking for a PC that can run any game out at high to highest settings, you can get everything (monitor, mouse, keyboard and all hardware) for under a grand as laid out by PC Gamer, who have managed this month to fit a DirectX 11 graphics card in and still stay under that limit.

£550 is mid-range for a PC, and if you shop right, you can get yourself a nice gaming machine that'll easily run L4D2, Fallout 3 and any other games at high settings (although maybe with a few details such as AA or texture details turned down a notch).

Those are the facts, now for my opinion: go for it. Building your own gaming PC is an awesome experience as it is, as you'll have your own customised machine that can run better than what most other people will have, will last you a long while if you buy the right hardware and (this is where it truly is my opinion) is the best gaming platform out there.

Not sure if that helps, I kept losing track of what I was saying so it might be a little disjointed. But if you do decide to do it and need any help picking parts, I'll be glad to give some advice.

Gordi

Post by Gordi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:42 am

marky mark wrote:Video announcement of the Final Fantasy XIII including news of the inclusion of the music of Reona Rewis.. http://bit.ly/1t0zlK
The fact that she is singing the theme to the US & EU version is almost enough to make me get the Japanese version and learn the language

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Gordi wrote:The fact that she is singing the theme to the US & EU version is almost enough to make me get the Japanese version and learn the language

日本語を習いなさい! 英語より最高。
thepriceofreality wrote:i have absolutely no idea who nick oakden is unfortunately, sorry.