The I FUCKING LOVE COMPUTER GAMES/VIDEO GAMES Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Tue May 11, 2010 8:15 am

Monster Hunter Tri on Wii.

Absolutely blown away by this. Rapidly finding its way into my top 10 favourite games.

Poetofthedeed - you've got a Wii, yeah? If so buy this game and play online with me please?
Stu

Rose

Post by Rose » Wed May 12, 2010 6:15 am

teamescape wrote:Monster Hunter Tri on Wii.

Absolutely blown away by this. Rapidly finding its way into my top 10 favourite games.
Really now? I'm kind of surprised by this. If it isn't a Mario title or Wii Fit, it's usually complete trash when made for the Wii. I'll need to keep this title in mind of future reference.

marky mark

Post by marky mark » Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 am

Having finally played through the God Of War collection, I'm now well into GOW3.

Great game so far but simply stunning visually. Some of the levels are ridiculous and at times I find myself wondering whether I'm meant to be controlling the character or whether I'm still in a cut scene.

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

teamescape wrote:Monster Hunter Tri on Wii.

Poetofthedeed - you've got a Wii, yeah? If so buy this game and play online with me please?
I'll think about it. :P
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Rose

Post by Rose » Wed May 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Has anyone played Starcraft 2 yet, beta or release? I'm debating whether or not to bother buying it.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Rose wrote:Has anyone played Starcraft 2 yet, beta or release? I'm debating whether or not to bother buying it.
Played the beta, very enjoyable but got it off a friend and am 100% certain Blizzard would have never given me a beta key had they known my PC specs. Had to crank the graphics down so much it looked like Starcraft 1 and even then it was slightly laggy at times. Very, very impressed regardless. Although I was a bit disappointed that one of the easiest ways to win online still seems to be a massive army of Protoss Carriers which are nigh on invincible in hugee swarms.

If I can scrape together the money I may very well be buying Monster Hunter 3, it looks fantastic. I have 3 DS games I haven't played yet though which I've vowed not to touch until after my exams are done. I don't know why I randomly bought so many... was supposed to be for the car journey for holiday to France but I couldn't decide which game I wanted and ended up with 3 >_<

Rose

Post by Rose » Wed May 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Jethro wrote:
Rose wrote:Has anyone played Starcraft 2 yet, beta or release? I'm debating whether or not to bother buying it.
Played the beta, very enjoyable but got it off a friend and am 100% certain Blizzard would have never given me a beta key had they known my PC specs. Had to crank the graphics down so much it looked like Starcraft 1 and even then it was slightly laggy at times. Very, very impressed regardless. Although I was a bit disappointed that one of the easiest ways to win online still seems to be a massive army of Protoss Carriers which are nigh on invincible in hugee swarms.
Thanks for your input. I have a couple friends I played World of Warcraft with a while back that are playing Starcraft 2 now, but I think they're too biased, lol. I have a pretty decent desktop for gaming, so maybe that'll be my new game till I make new friends after my move to New York.

I really want a PS3 though... That Move accessory that comes out this autumn looks amaaaazingly entertaining. I wish I had more money to spend!

skhmmi

Post by skhmmi » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 am

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal

Portal, possibly one of the best games of all-time. On steam for free.

Bren_D

Post by Bren_D » Sat May 22, 2010 5:44 am

Football Manager.

I might well have got poorer GCSE grades than I was capable of thanks to falling in love with the music Steve Lamacq and Jo Whiley played on the Evening Session. My fault entirely, but why would I want to revise for exams when I knew I'd pass them anyway and could listen to Blur/Pulp/Suede/Oasis and play N64 games or settle down for CM sessions?

The final versions of CM did for the start of my time in HE and I'd be fucking amazing at playing the saxophone by now had FM05 not arrived on the same day as my lovely Yamaha.

I don't believe it's big or clever to have spunked my life away playing computer games, but I'm not sure I'd do things any differently given my time again :)

Deadpan

Post by Deadpan » Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm

I can't wait until exams are over so I can start to try and get good at Super Street Fighter 4, because achieving that seems like it'll take a while given how terrible I am at it.

benb

Post by benb » Mon May 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Three words: Red Dead Redemption.

OK, a few more words, I sunk 15 hours into this game over the weekend, mainly because I had to work the days and therefore missed out on the sunshine, boo. But seriously, what an amazing game.

Deadpan

Post by Deadpan » Mon May 24, 2010 4:21 pm

How does it compare to the GTA games? It looks so cool, but also kind of similar to GTA with horses replacing cars, and I've just never gotten along with those games. I get bored, and end up meandering, then giving up entirely.

benb

Post by benb » Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Well, it looks and plays very much like GTA IV, the radar in the bottom left was essentially lifted from that game and put in RDR, as is the map. Missions are similar; do a favour for someone because they will eventually help progress the story. But it looks and handles much better than GTA IV, the graphics are *really* good, I've often caught myself just staring as the sun sets. I've also had a lot of "I wonder if I can..." moments, and I've been able to do pretty much anything I've wanted to so far, no matter how unexpected that was.

There is also a lot to get distracted by, such as hunting animals, playing poker etc, so if you're easily distracted then it might not be for you, whereas I am one that can get easily distracted but then get back into the story, as it means a game lasts a lot longer than the standard 6-8hrs of this generation. Also there are a few almost-RPG elements to the game, such as the fame and honour ratings, which effect how people react to you (no-one will report crimes I commit anymore unless I murder someone)/how much they pay you for jobs, and there are quite a few different outfits that you can wear, most of which have special abilities (cheat at poker, become ignored by certain gangs, etc), so in that respect you have far more choice about how your character plays the story.

If you really hate GTA or GTA style games, you probably wont get on with it, maybe find someone to borrow it off of? It's gonna be probably the surprise game of the year for me, as I had no interest in it until last Thursday when I played it.

Deadpan

Post by Deadpan » Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Yeah, I'm just going to wait for my housemate to buy it instead, then borrow it off him/

The "handles much better than GTA IV" part does sound appealing though. I've always felt the way those games handle (aiming/shooting and steering wise) was kinda off, and after spoiling myself on Uncharted 2, I don't want to drop a load of cash on something that might not feel as fun.

On a similar note, I can't wait for Modnation Racers to get released. The demo was super fun, and I need some kind of Mario Kart replacement in my life.

benb

Post by benb » Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Yup, the main character walks better, the horses handle really well, and with shooting you get "Dead Eye" mode that allows you to enter slow mo and aim at certain areas on their body; head, legs, arm, etc and you can do it to multiple people at once too. The auto-aim is pretty similar to GTA IV, apart from the fact you can't move the stick up/down to aim at different parts of the body once you're locked on.