The I FUCKING LOVE COMPUTER GAMES/VIDEO GAMES Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Gordi

Post by Gordi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Nick wrote:
Gordi wrote:The fact that she is singing the theme to the US & EU version is almost enough to make me get the Japanese version and learn the language

日本語を習いなさい! 英語より最高。
Yeah you're right I should learn Japanese because it's better than English... admittedly I learnt it for a year but couldn't afford to continue my studies :(

aza484

Post by aza484 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I just know rudimentary anime Japanese. Which is by and large completely wrong. hehe.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Kilobyte wrote:Not sure if that helps, I kept losing track of what I was saying so it might be a little disjointed. But if you do decide to do it and need any help picking parts, I'll be glad to give some advice.
Kilobyte,

I've spent the last month or so trying to pick components/find the best deals and it turns out that dabs.com seem to be the best bet. I haven't built a PC in about 5 or 6 years so I'm a bit 'out of the loop' when it comes to what's decent or not. Here's a break down of the main components:

Processor:
AMD Phenom 965 - 3.4 ghz quad core

http://www.dabs.com/products/amd-phenom ... -6B0X.html

For the price I think it's an incredible processor. It has also dropped in price by £15 since yesterday which may be down to an error. I might just buy it now just in case.

GPU:

Radeon 4890

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-ra ... -64TS.html

Better than the new Radeon 5700 series and a very similar price.

Motherboard:

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-a ... -5LPR.html

Standard ATX affair. Not much wrong with it, not much great about it apart from the price.

Memory:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prod ... 4GBRL.html

Rapid DDR3/1666mhz RAM. Cheaper than some of the other 'big' memory brands.

Case:

http://www.dabs.com/products/antec-thre ... -6252.html

A lot of people recommend this case - spacious and has 2 inbuilt fans. What's not to like?

Other than that I'm going to get a HDD for around £40 and the rest of the stuff for cheap.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts on this PSU -

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value ... -5HN8.html

I was going to go for a Corsair one but it's literally triple the price. Can I get away with a cheap PSU?

I'm looking to order it all by the end of the week so I can spend next weekend building it.

Oh, and I've got a monitor already.

All in all it should be £550.

Cheers.
Stu

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Fuck it. Ordered.

Grand total - £541
Stu

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Nice choices on most of the parts I'd say, quite an impressive machine for the price. Surprised about the price on pretty much all of it, actually. But then I haven't actively shopped for components for a while, so I suppose they've dropped further than I'd guess.

With regards to a PSU, generally it's a good idea to pay that bit extra, because a good PSU generally means your system will be more stable. Reading the reviews on that though, I'd say it'll do fine. Oh, and congratulations on getting a new PC :P

On an unrelated note, played through the fourth campaign on Left 4 Dead 2 (still have to do The Parish too, keep getting sidetracked with other things), and annoyingly got stuck on the last chapter when a Charger hit me into a wall and I glitched into it. Couldn't get free and had to restart. Also happened on Swamp Fever. I can see that Valve put the game out fairly quickly, but the Chargers are pretty much bug-tastic. The game so far has been equal parts fun and frustration.

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:58 pm

marky mark

Re: The I FUCKING LOVE COMPUTER GAMES/VIDEO GAMES Thread

Post by marky mark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:14 pm

If anybody's interested, Steam's sales are popping up some amazing deals on games, and they're changing each day till Tomorrow.

They also have deals on some of their game-packs, which last till Monday. I'm definitely getting http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2539/ . Too much gaming awesome for such a low price. Hell, I would've probably got Red Faction: Guerilla alone at the reduced price. But THIS many games for £26?

Irresistable. I really do love Valve.

"So Kilobyte, did you ever have a teen love?"...."I did, yeah. It was a games production company."

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Kilobyte wrote:If anybody's interested, Steam's sales are popping up some amazing deals on games, and they're changing each day till Tomorrow.

They also have deals on some of their game-packs, which last till Monday. I'm definitely getting http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2539/ . Too much gaming awesome for such a low price. Hell, I would've probably got Red Faction: Guerilla alone at the reduced price. But THIS many games for £26?

Irresistable. I really do love Valve.

"So Kilobyte, did you ever have a teen love?"...."I did, yeah. It was a games production company."
Shitting crikey. As it's steam I assume they're download only as opposed to physical/delivered copies?

If it's the former I'll pass but if it's the latter they're getting bought now.

Right now.

Kilobyte?
Stu

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Yup, download only, in that the games get tied to your account to download and play as and when you want.

If it's physical copies you're looking for, it'll be costing you a whole lot more, I'm afraid.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:03 pm

They were selling something similar to this in Game a few weeks back. I think it was called a 'THQ Mega pack' for about £30. I know it had all the DoW + CoH sets so even that was worth paying £30 for.
Stu

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 pm

i just started a new game on metroid prime, on friday
i've been playing non-stop (kinda)
and i just beat the omega pirate

proud much
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:36 pm

just beat it, in four days, :P

and no one cares?

:(
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Never played it, so can't really comment on how impressive a feat that is.

Bought the THQ complete pack, so a lot of extra gaming to go through. Red Faction: Guerilla is shaping up to be a lot of fun, and Saints Row 2 seems pretty good too, although I've only played about half an hour of it so far.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Kilobyte wrote:Never played it, so can't really comment on how impressive a feat that is.

Bought the THQ complete pack, so a lot of extra gaming to go through. Red Faction: Guerilla is shaping up to be a lot of fun, and Saints Row 2 seems pretty good too, although I've only played about half an hour of it so far.
My issue is that I would have to download each and every one of the games. It's horrific effort and I find steam to be quite slow on the downloading front.

On the other hand - on a 500gig hard disk I could hold all those games and never need to uninstall them.

Gah.

Decisions.
Stu