The Officially Unofficial FT Cover Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

For those who play FT songs live, which song do you play most?

Real Damage
27%
Fathers Day
No votes
Ballad of Me and My Friends
9%
Photosynthesis
9%
Reasons Not to be an Idiot
No votes
Long Live the Queen
9%
Other
45%

Total votes: 11

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:14 pm

You what? why must I be "lewis"?
Adam_Bennett wrote:..I'm a folk rock musician similar to Boucher and everyone else.

aza484

Post by aza484 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Gerry wrote:
EDIT: By the way Aza484. Do you have any music online?
I do, but after having become more involved around here I'm slightly scared to give it out, what with a seemingly quite anti-frank-cover attitude around here, and I have LOTS of Frank covers online. No seriously, lots. I really should probably stop doing them now. :P And yet I can't, because last week I was challenged by a mate to cover the whole of PotD, just cos he knows I can never turn down a challenge.... So yeah, I'm worried what you guys would say if you saw them. :?

aza484

Post by aza484 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 pm

PLUS this latest album seems to see Frank singing about 4 keys higher than on any previous solo record. With a couple of exceptions.

This makes covering them somewhat trickier... or just making them shit. :D Even if I tune down a tad.

Kilobyte

Post by Kilobyte » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:06 am

aza484 wrote:PLUS this latest album seems to see Frank singing about 4 keys higher than on any previous solo record. With a couple of exceptions.

This makes covering them somewhat trickier... or just making them shit. :D Even if I tune down a tad.
I find that it's the lower lyrics I can't quite do. I've played Isabel a few times, and singing along to that, I have to suddenly go up a whole octave just for the line "worse or better's hard to tell", or it sounds like I'm croaking. Seriously. Good thing nobody's around to hear me playing, since I mostly play for my own amusement in my room. The most "live" playing I've done is when recording a (fairly terrible) piece for a gcse music assessment a few years back.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:50 am

Kenny wrote:
Gerry wrote:genious
'lol'
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:59 am

I was playing about witht he video camera on my phne last night and did a wee cover of Love, Ire and Song.

That won't be getting put up.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:59 am

DaveHughes wrote:I was playing about witht he video camera on my phne last night and did a wee cover of Love, Ire and Song.

You tease
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:42 am

Pete wrote:
DaveHughes wrote:I was playing about witht he video camera on my phne last night and did a wee cover of Love, Ire and Song.

You tease
I did it around 11pm last night, and with the flat I'm in at the moment having paper thin walls, I did the whole "try to sound like you are shouting/emphasising without actually doing it" thing and it sounds fucking empty and monotonous. Almost a poetry reading with guitar chords under it.

aza484

Post by aza484 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 am

Kilobyte wrote:
aza484 wrote:PLUS this latest album seems to see Frank singing about 4 keys higher than on any previous solo record. With a couple of exceptions.

I find that it's the lower lyrics I can't quite do. I've played Isabel a few times, and singing along to that, I have to suddenly go up a whole octave just for the line "worse or better's hard to tell", or it sounds like I'm croaking. Seriously. Good thing nobody's around to hear me playing, since I mostly play for my own amusement in my room. The most "live" playing I've done is when recording a (fairly terrible) piece for a gcse music assessment a few years back.
I love that 'worse or better..' line, I think it's kinda what makes the chorus, but yeah it is a lot lower than the rest!

aza484

Post by aza484 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 am

Ok, I've added my profile website to be my youtube. I am very interested and simultaneously terrified to hear you guys' comments...

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am

Nice voice, Face only a mother could love :wink: , do you have any of your own stuff though?

aza484

Post by aza484 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:05 am

Pete wrote:Nice voice, Face only a mother could love :wink: , do you have any of your own stuff though?
Well yours sure did :P

There's a couple of my own up there, though the first original I put up does sound like somewhat of a St Christopher's rip-off. I frustratingly realised this after I'd written it. Bum.

I'll link you to one of them, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qmhtF2f1A

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:12 am

aza484 wrote:
Pete wrote:Nice voice, Face only a mother could love :wink: , do you have any of your own stuff though?

There's a couple of my own up there, though the first original I put up does sound like somewhat of a St Christopher's rip-off. I frustratingly realised this after I'd written it. Bum.

Excellent edit, I enjoyed that - touché

You've listened to Frank waaaaAAAAaaaaay too much, but not bad at all. Enjoyed it.

It's no Raw Meat though.

aza484

Post by aza484 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 am

Pete wrote:
aza484 wrote:

Excellent edit, I enjoyed that - touché
*bows*
You've listened to Frank waaaaAAAAaaaaay too much, but not bad at all. Enjoyed it.
I'm pleased to say I've been writing lyrics like that since before I heard Frank, although Frank has certainly encouraged me in that style more. My usual problem is musically - I end up writing songs that sound just too similar, though I guess its always difficult to be original when you're solo acoustic - there's only so many sounds you can create (without being an Andy McKee or something).
It's no Raw Meat though.
What is though... *sigh*

DaveHughes

Post by DaveHughes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

aza484 wrote:
It's no Raw Meat though.
What is though... *sigh*
Vagina, apparently.