Politics / Current Affairs / Blog thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

longlivethefrank

Post by longlivethefrank » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Emitime wrote:I was just reading that Guardian article thinking "this is fucking genius". Then I got to the "The online campaign was started by @christt" line.

Amazing.
Bit poor show that he was only referred to as "@christt" rather than 'acclaimed folk singer, Chris T-T'.

devilsadvocat

Post by devilsadvocat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

I found this interesting if anyones particularly bored.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... em-schools

TheGrimReaper

Post by TheGrimReaper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I found that very interesting.
I always it was mostly just the American schools that were bad, and that the other school systems were better and the kids were less violent.

From hearing that, I have to say, none of the bad schools in my area could even compare to some of the schools that guy went to.

It's rather sad how violent young kids are these days. :?
I ain't got nobody, ain't nobody got me. I'm just like a little apple, swingin' in the tree. (Guthrie)

devilsadvocat

Post by devilsadvocat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 pm

If I wasn't so lazy I'd print off a load of these and hand them out to everyone protesting tomorrow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... university

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:30 am

devilsadvocat wrote:If I wasn't so lazy I'd print off a load of these and hand them out to everyone protesting tomorrow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... university
Continually agreeing with DA on politics... Mind can't compute... Head going to explode...

longlivethefrank

Post by longlivethefrank » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm

While I disagree with parts of that article(as a recipient myself of EMA, while it is well-intentioned it is very unfairly organised in many cases...getting a part-time job outside of college isnt that hard) and myself have been protesting(I believe in fully nationalised higher education, that's just me) there were a fair few chants I stayed quiet on.

Worst thing was the bloke with the red ribbon and 'Vote Labour' banner giving out leaflets, clearly exploiting the anger of students who aren't generally interested in politics and are very much a free vote on a single issues like this. Wanted to twat him.

BigEgg

Post by BigEgg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdUHbs-x5sc

I think Milton Friedman says it best. Good series of videos, this one is probably most relevant to HE.

Hatter

Post by Hatter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:39 pm

After today's riots I'm dreading work at the weekend.
Another excuse for older customers to shout at me.

Emitime

Post by Emitime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 pm

'riots' pff.

How soft is this country.... anyway where do you work?

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm

I for one am pretty pleased with what happened, has nicely tarred students as petulant idiots and meant the silent majority are actually pleased to see fees increased. Good news all around.

devilsadvocat

Post by devilsadvocat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

On an unrelated note, what a surprise!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11930168

longlivethefrank

Post by longlivethefrank » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Pete wrote:I for one am pretty pleased with what happened, has nicely tarred students as petulant idiots and meant the silent majority are actually pleased to see fees increased. Good news all around.
Which is quite demoralising for me and the peaceful majority.
Thing is, I reckon 90% of the violent ones don't have good enough grades to go to uni anyway.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm particularly enjoying Cambridge history undergrad and Pink Floyd founder's adopted son claiming 'i didn't know it was the cenotaph'. A fucking history student at cambridge didn't know what the cenotaph was? Really?

Hatter

Post by Hatter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Emitime: Sports Direct :/
I don't really care about the fee's any more.
What's bothering me is how bad the riot's got in the end, as if teenagers didn't have a bad enough reputation anyway.
It's also really stupid, they put up fee's in part, because we are not doing great financially, so they decide its a good idea to riot and rake up huge bills in damages.
I really don't see why they turned to violence.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Hatter wrote:Emitime: Sports Direct :/
I don't really care about the fee's any more.
What's bothering me is how bad the riot's got in the end, as if teenagers didn't have a bad enough reputation anyway.
It's also really stupid, they put up fee's in part, because we are not doing great financially, so they decide its a good idea to riot and rake up huge bills in damages.
I really don't see why they turned to violence.
You work for Sports Direct? Fucking sinner! Far more important than student issues is that you represent the evil empire. Bring me the head of your boss and I will reward you handsomely.