Introduce Yourself

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

kavi

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by kavi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi, I'm Karina and I live in London.

I guess I'm probably one of the older (if not one of the more mature) people on here. I was introduced to Frank's music by my daughter who is at uni. Her older brother encourages me in my need to go to Frank's shows and jump around as vigorously and as near to the stage as possible. Recently, my (long-suffering) son played 'I am Disappeared' on his guitar from one sofa in our living room while I sang along at full throttle from the other sofa, getting most of the lyrics right - if not much of the timing! The cat has since put himself up for re-adoption.

I think Frank's songs are superb and admire his openness and honesty. Being at one of Frank's shows can knock you from whatever edge you might be on right back into the centre of life.

Third Rate Les

Post by Third Rate Les » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am

I'm Pete.

I downloaded some of Frank's music earlier this year when I was preparing an Olympic-theme quiz. Then a week later I was walking between meetings, heard "Love Ire and Song" on my phone, got severe shivers down my spine and realised I needed to drop everything and listen to the whole lot, which is pretty much what I've been doing since then. If the only legacy of London 2012 is that single moment, it is still in my view £8 billion very well spent.

I am an Embarrassing Gig Dad and I've taken my older two teenagers to see some of my faves this year - we've seen Bruce Springsteen, the Stone Roses, the Wedding Present, Art Brut, and Half Man Half Biscuit, and am about to go and jump around with them to Johnny Marr at Reading with my Queen Is Dead t-shirt on. I also have a teenage daughter which means I also get to see things like N-Dubz too, although luckily she was old enough to see One Direction by herself. If I could have seen any gig ever I'd have seen Boris Vian in a smoky Rive Gauche café, or Jacques Brel.

KayTheMagnificent

Post by KayTheMagnificent » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 am

My name's Kayleigh. been listening to Frank since 05/06, Sleep Is For The Week and Love, Ire & Song got me through my later teen years. I sort of went off Frank's music for a few years with Poetry For The Deed but I heard 'Recovery' back when it came out and fell in love with it, and bought Tape Deck Heart. discovering how fantastic the record was I went back and also fell for England Keep My Bones. still not a big fan of PotD though haha.

I've met frank twice, and he's been a massive influence on me and my song writing. One of my dreams is for Frank to hear (and like) some of my own stuff. despite being 24 now I apparently cannot shake these childish aspirations.

The first time I saw him live (seen him three times, once in 06, twice in 07) he was playing solo in Cardiff at Clwb Ifor Bach. it was an extremely emotional show but it's the best performance I've ever seen anyone do.

So yeah, as I rediscovered his awesomeness, I figured I'd join this forum. I'm a welsh singer songwriter who is lost and aimless and yeah. that's about it.

Hi all.

Candycane_child

Post by Candycane_child » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Okay I went to Leeds for the Saturday to see Green day only really but saw Frank waiting as I just stayed near the main stage and was super impressed with his performance knowing very little about him I thought I'd come to a place were i Can find out a bit more and maybe make some new friends :lol:

ScarletPlanetMoon

Post by ScarletPlanetMoon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello!

I'm Sally, I'm 22 and I live in a village about 8 miles south of Leeds. Two years ago today, I first heard this guy called Frank Turner. I was stood in the pouring rain at Leeds Festival and I had no idea what to expect. Since, I have seen him another 5 times, including at this years Leeds festival (it poured with rain then, too). I'm intending on going to both the Manchester and London shows in February. I've met him 4 times and I was lucky enough to get to see Mongol Horde live too.

Also, a little shameless self promotion here, but I run a fansite for the wonderful Jim Lockey and The Solemn Sun (if you haven't checked them out... do it - you wont regret it, I promise). It's here: http://www.weheartjlandtss.tumblr.com if you want to come over and join me.

That's something else, since first hearing Frank's music, I have also heard (and come to love) so much more music I probably wouldn't really have given the time of day to before. It's wonderful, and long may it continue :)
I'm no good at thinking of something funny enough for these things.
http://www.hellyeahjlandtss.tumblr.com

beckysnewtimemachine

Post by beckysnewtimemachine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

My name is Becky and I am suffering from post-festival withdrawal symptoms. Frank was a hoot - but 3 days later my only souvenir is the non shower stink.
I live in Andover, go to college in Winchester, and am so excited to see Frank for my second ever time on his tour!

Let's be friends.

liljan98

Post by liljan98 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi there,

my name's Susanne, I'm 38 years old (older than a lot of folks around here?) and I'm from Germany. Even though I loved the London 2012 opening ceremony, I admit I have no recollection of Frank's part in it. I was kind of baffled when a I read that he was in it in it a few weeks ago.

I was channelsurfing some Sunday afternoon in June and I caught some live footage of the Hurricane (or Southside) festival. Frank was doing "I Still Believe" and I was hooked right away. I bought all his music on iTunes the next day and 2 days later a ticket to the show in Cologne :D I'll also be at the show in Bremen next week, because after watching a lot of live clips and other stuff online + listening to his music almost constantly over the last few weeks, I knew I needed to see more than one show before Frank is off to his US/CAN tour .

It took me a while to sign up for the forum, but here I am :)

SonsofLibertyLI

Post by SonsofLibertyLI » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Hello Everyone,
My name is Brandon, I'm from Long Island NY, a member of the Frank Turner cover band, Sons of Liberty. I was introduced to Frank Turner in Atlantic City House of Blues on the Social Distortion tour and have been forever changed.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm

SonsofLibertyLI wrote:Hello Everyone,
My name is Brandon, I'm from Long Island NY, a member of the Frank Turner cover band, Sons of Liberty. I was introduced to Frank Turner in Atlantic City House of Blues on the Social Distortion tour and have been forever changed.
There's a Frank Turner covers band?!
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

SonsofLibertyLI

Post by SonsofLibertyLI » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm

We're still slow out of the gates, but we've been doing open mics and some benefits. We started in April 2012 at a cancer benefit in Port Jefferson. Long Live the Queen and St. Christopher is coming home. We have a bakers dozen of tracks learned at the moment.

wolkennixe

Post by wolkennixe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 am

Hi everyone,
I'm Anna, 23, and I'm German. I currently live in Berlin for my practical training, but I've been studying in Finland and the Netherlands for the last three years.
I discovered Frank when EKMB first came out and haven't really stopped listening to him since. Saw him live a few times as well and I'm already quite excited for the gig on Sunday :D

Actually, I've been lurking around the forum for quite some time now, and today seemed like a good time to register for some reason. So, yeah. Here I am. :wink:

ak2689

Post by ak2689 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:17 pm

My names Andy , i'm from ellesmere port, just discovered franks music after seeing him at reading so just thought i'd say hello to everyone, looking forward to seeing you in Manchester next year Frank

astroboy99

Re: Introduce Yourself, you Texan, you!

Post by astroboy99 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 am

Hi. I'm Marc, from Austin, Texas, USA. Don't worry, Austin isn't like Dallas -- the city or the TV show -- at all. We're "the Live Music Capital of the World." It even says so in our airport. And FT can attest to the yearly three-chords-and-the-truth mayhem that is the South By Southwest music, film, and tech festival. Glorious chaos, indeed. Which is, naturally, where I first found FT, in March of 2009, serenading passerby in the middle of Sixth Street, a mere 15-20 feet from my door. I was and remain entranced and inspired. Thanks, Frank. You helped me to return to a state of hopelessly romantic punk rocker. (And that's a *good* thing.)

-- m.

Image Hmmmm..."Open image in new window..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGI9QnfuTUk

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 am

I am Peter from NY, brother of valderie.

I see there's a user here named 'Pete' which will probably make things confusing, oops.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 am

Welcome, Pete(r) !!
shows? 90 so far...