Introduce Yourself

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

DejaBlue

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by DejaBlue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Hello and a friendly wave from a fan located in Virginia, USA.

I discovered Frank's music as I took the first steps off a well-worn path and struck out on my own, metaphorically speaking. I'll keep a long story short, since it's only interesting to me (unless you're high, but then you'll be amused because you think my head is floating above me like a balloon).

Several years ago I began making changes to what had become a painfully ordinary life. I struggled to revive the part of me that used to dream. For months I packed my bags daily, took the top, sides & doors off my Jeep and drove as far as I could in every direction (literally, not metaphorically this time) before returning home. I kept my camera and sketch pads handy and actively sought the inspiration to be more. My day trips got longer, my travels took me farther. I pushed through.

I found my inspiration shortly before Social Distortion hit the stage at the 9:30 Club in DC and an English singer I'd never heard of sang about Poetry of the Deed. When I got home I looked this up this man's music and he gave me plenty of reasons not to be an idiot. I took his advice. After a while I wasn't pushing through, I was dancing through. Yeah, here's the old Kellie! Come with me or get out of my way, I have places to go.

I can't say that Frank Turner gave me my smile back, or performed CPR on my dying dreams, but his music is the soundtrack to the last year of my life.

The horizon is MY home.

And, that is me.
Hello.
"Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

ntgrl

Post by ntgrl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 am

Oooo...look, it's another newbie!

Dropping by to introduce myself and say hello. I'm Heather. What's up?

*waves*

Jables
Location: Pontyclun, South Wales, Land of Sheep Lovers and Drunks

Post by Jables » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 am

Hello all, my name is Jables (lovingly named after JB in Tenacious D by my friends).
I hail from Pontyclun in South Wales although I plan to move somewhere much more interesting and sunny when I can.
I love Frank's music cos it contains much of my own thoughts and feelings, only he makes them sound better :mrgreen:

seamiedev

Post by seamiedev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:28 am

Hi all
new to the FT sound. Being discovering more & more thru some gigs I managed to download, & bought myself copies of EKMBs & Second 3 Yrs at the weekend. Other than the recently discovered FT my tastes are pretty varied, though favourites are Weller, OCS, Charlatans, Bad Religion, Oasis, kasabian, etc etc the list goes on !!!!
:D

ArmandoG

Post by ArmandoG » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Helo All,

Armando from Southen California.

Cheers!!

Alienmotives

Post by Alienmotives » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 am

Hello! My name is Bill Lindblad and I'm a book dealer and techie from Plano, TX (just north of Dallas). I just got back from the Dropkick Murphys show. A friend and I saw the Mahones, and I enjoyed them although I did think their desire to add a minute of flourishes to the end of not just one, but every song was a bad decision. My friend bought their album, and I understand why. DM was as bold and loud as you'd expect them to be, although I must admit the volume of their guitar work in the live songs tends to overshadow the other instruments, which is always a minor disappointment. Then there was Frank.

After the first two songs, I turned to my friend and said that if the rest of the songs weren't repetitive, I was going to buy the album. By the end of the set I had revised my assessment. Instead I was saying, "This band should be headlining." I was out of cash on hand, so I couldn't get any swag; instead my friend grabbed the new album and I committed the artist's name to memory.

I see now that he is headlining, just not often in America. That's good to see, because I'm going to be purchasing all of the albums.

Cheese'thans

Post by Cheese'thans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi,

Pals call me Cheese.

birmingham, AL USA

PS, Get to See Frank for 4th time in Atlanta, Ga in a week. So Psyched, the last concert was amazing. :P

Skuzafan

Post by Skuzafan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 am

Hey Bill,

I'm from Tyler and was at the show Monday night. The first time I saw Frank was in 2010 when he opened for Social Distortion. I'd actually told the people I was going with that I didn't care if we made it for the opening act since we had reserved seats. Boy am I glad we made it on time! I've been a Frank fan ever since! He headlined in Dallas last fall at The Loft, it was amazing! Hopefully we'll get another headline show soon!
~Susan

I dance for Cam and Bradley

Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

My names kent

Frank opened for flogging Molly when they came to Detroit 2 years ago so I checked him out on pandora and really liked him so I purchased love and ire song and the first 3 years and then he got the flu and had to cancel. The replacement band was terrible! Either way, I went through a really rough time in my life around then and St. Christopher is Coming Home Was a big help during that time. I missed him AGAIN when he came to Detroit this year and am eagerly anticipating his return!

iansbit

Post by iansbit » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 am

Ian. Originally from Wigan but now live in Perth, Western Australia.

Looking forward to the 9th May !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SedentaryVagabond

Post by SedentaryVagabond » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey ladies and gents!

Name's Chris and I started listening to Turner's songs a few days before a Dropkick Murphy's concert he was one of the opening acts for. I didn't actually realize he'd be there (shame on me for not checking out who the openers would be) and Frank totally stole the show! Been listening to his songs on Spotify and I'm absolutely loving it!

bladegrl3

Post by bladegrl3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Howdy - name's Joni from Houston, TX. I've had several friends nagging me to check this Frank Turner chap out since last year and I'm kicking myself for not following their advice then! Saw the show in Houston at House of Blues with DKM and bought the 3 cds on sale at the merch table then and have been listening to them ever since.

Adding FT & SS to the short list of bands I'd roadtrip for to see in multiple cities! (Iron Maiden and Gaelic Storm being the other two on that short list. :D )
give blood...play hockey

Cheese'thans

Post by Cheese'thans » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 am

welcome Joni!

Good to have another hockey loving southerner hanging out here in the good ole' Frank Turner forums!

RobinDC

Post by RobinDC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 am

Hi guys,

I'm Robin from Belgium.
Discovered Frank a few years ago when he opened for The Gaslight Anthem (at that time, also still pretty unknown in these parts).
Loving him ever since.

Other likes: The Revival Tour, Chuck Ragan, The Gaslight Anthem, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Tom Waits, Polar Bear Club, Bob Dylan, Dave Hause, Elbow, Bruce Springsteen, ...

JLT_CFC

Post by JLT_CFC » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Hello all, Joshua Thompson here. I come from Atlanta, first saw Frank when he was opening for Flogging Molly (2009 I believe) and have been a fan ever since. Pleasure to be on here and feel free to contact me if you're going to an upcoming Atlanta show and we'll have a beer.

Other information incase you're curious, I've been a fan of Chelsea FC since I was about 7, so 11 years now. Also play fifa on the ps3 incase any of you lot would like a match or two. Cheers everyone, glad to be part of the community.
"Movebusty? Yes, I've played it in scrabble many times."