The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Sport Monkey

Post by Sport Monkey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am

The annoying thing is we don't need vigilantism, we just need people on streets. Massively outnumber the looters. There wouldn't be any need for violence. Thing is that the people most willing to get on the streets at thugs spoiling for a fight.

Violence begets violence. I spent last night arguing about the use of tear-gas and violence by police as apparently that is now OK. Let's stop giving the government carte blanche to strengthen draconian police powers.

moomin

Post by moomin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 am

I dont suppose anyone in London today with a car is looking for a nice from Battersea to Hoxton is there?

there is a donation drop off for the people affected, we have stuff to give like crockery, steamers toys and books which we just can't get there

Clur

Post by Clur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Pete wrote:Link to footage?
Can't find the one I had, it was *somewhere* on my twitter feed.

However I have found this which does confirm it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeX8y0JQ ... ture=share
At end, chanting "E E E EDL"

Nick Griffin himself also said the same himself on this twitter feed yesterday:
"In Eltham hundreds walking down the road earlier shouting "B B BNP"."

His feed is just horrendous.
His gems of the day include:
"Filming with our Internet TV operation in Liverpool. Leftist student trash kicked off the trouble here although blacks & wiggers then ran riot"

And from an hour ago:
"Don't get mad - GET EVEN - Text DONATE to 60777 to give £3 to the BNP."

I've just heard that he's been in Salford night, getting television airtime too.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Clur wrote:
Pete wrote:Link to footage?
Can't find the one I had, it was *somewhere* on my twitter feed.

However I have found this which does confirm it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeX8y0JQ ... ture=share
At end, chanting "E E E EDL"

Nick Griffin himself also said the same himself on this twitter feed yesterday:
"In Eltham hundreds walking down the road earlier shouting "B B BNP"."

His feed is just horrendous.
His gems of the day include:
"Filming with our Internet TV operation in Liverpool. Leftist student trash kicked off the trouble here although blacks & wiggers then ran riot"

And from an hour ago:
"Don't get mad - GET EVEN - Text DONATE to 60777 to give £3 to the BNP."

I've just heard that he's been in Salford night, getting television airtime too.
The video under the description "Police chasing vigilantes chasing looters" definitely has an element of the former saying of the latter "they're black, lets get them"

This is exactly what I meant first of all though, taking London back to the fucking 80s.

Clur

Post by Clur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Worrying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqvJgUxg ... e=youtu.be

This is troubling too...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... dents.html

I don't believe ALL the people are racist by any means, but certainly a definite and deliberate and very cynical move to gain support by the EDL.

Certainly nothing in this last one to suggest racial overtones and does look very much like its just locals out to defend their area. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2011 ... ice-videos

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Clur

Post by Clur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I was literally just about to post that link after reading Evan's comment about Tom Morello, and the speculation of the 'causes' of the riot.
Evan wrote:Tom Morello has his say on the riots; utterly missing the point
http://www.rocksound.tv/news/article/to ... =rocksound
I can't help but feel, it hasn't a massive under lying 'cause' (such as poverty, social alienation, race or deprivation) other than greed and cos they felt they could get away with it because of the mob mentality.

Which when you listen to that interview with the scallies, really does seem to be the case, rather the "poverty, lack of opportunity/jobs, deprived background" argument.

Given the spread of who seems to have been involved (various ages, races, religions, socio-economic groups, professionals, known offenders etc) this really is pretty much the best comment I've seen today:
"The power of the crowd. Shakespeare knew the power of being in a crowd. A pschological profile, which is what this says it is, needs to discuss it. It is a strange sensation, and one I have only felt at football games. You can indeed be carried along by the crowd, and that seems to have happened here.The mistake the police initially made was in thinking this was a race riot, like Brixton or Broadwater Farm, requiring dispersal. It was not and is not. It was a crowd discovering their power to steal. It required arrests and force. It much more closely resembles the football violence of the 70s and 80s, which was similarly stupid and without rational justification, than Broadwater Farm. Once the crowd melts away its power is gone."
Which makes the EDL thing even more scary in a way too.

Put into context with this study on why people behave in an anti-social manner and I can't help but think it makes even more sense:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... t-cleanup/

I'm very wary about a 'cause' or a more political 'cuts caused this' line and having a reaction based on that alone. Sure there's contributing factors, such as lack of respect or fear of punishment which should be looked at, but there are way too many people trying to get political mileage out of it.
I also really don't think we should be making excuses or justifying the actions of looters in any way shape or form.

Plenty of people took a moral choice not to join in, when they had the opportunity. People who had similar backgrounds or grievances and yet they managed not to act like total ****heads...

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 am

considering dusting out the cv and applying for a new job for the first time in 5 years... strange feeling

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Pete wrote:considering dusting out the cv and applying for a new job for the first time in 5 years... strange feeling
Are you wishing to change your role, change your employer, or change your location?

I'm probably doing all three.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Looking at COO roles. Same industry. Fancy a change as few things I'm not too happy with and think I'm ready for a bit of a step up.

Another Round

Post by Another Round » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Night shift last night 22.30 - 07.30 ... home for 3 and a bit hours sleep ... back in work at 13.30 for another 9 hours. Keep telling myself I am not tired. I am not tired.
Kingston - 680, SBE - 730, Union Chapel - 770, Kingston 10 - 772, Glastonbury 2010 (Queens Head - 870 / Strummerville - 871), Roundhouse (iTunes 2010) - 881, Strummerville - 1000, Kingston 11 - 1031.

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Being from Croydon it's been quite an eventful week as you'd imagine. Reeves being set ablaze is totally devestating but luckily they've caught the main culprit.

Rockbottom, as some of you may now is a music shop and studios in Croydon. That was totally looted and smashed to bits on the nights of the riots, luckily it escaped fire, unlike a few shops a few doors down.

Someone apparently stole a Stratrocaster, only to use it as a weapon a few doors down to gain access to another shop. :roll:

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Pete wrote:Looking at COO roles. Same industry. Fancy a change as few things I'm not too happy with and think I'm ready for a bit of a step up.
I had no idea you were within reach of such a post. Good work. That sports car may yet be yours.

I have literally no idea what to do next. The failsafe is to move to London (preferably one of the bits not on fire), simply because it's where the largest concentration of employment options in my sector will be, but beyond that I have no firm plan yet.

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Pete (from a different thread) wrote:Ta... Drop us an email if london becomes a plan and you need any assistance
Given you're obviously suddenly enjoying a rocketing career, you're doubtless too busy to have time to ensure replies land in the right thread, so I'll forgive you on this occasion.

Thanks. I think the main issue is just to actually get to London and look at flats to rent. Once that's sorted it's a case of move all my stuff, sell my car, get broadband connected and find a job. Easy. :)

newmy

Post by newmy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 pm

skhmmxi wrote:
Pete (from a different thread) wrote:Ta... Drop us an email if london becomes a plan and you need any assistance
I think the main issue is just to actually get to London and look at flats to rent. Once that's sorted it's a case of move all my stuff, sell my car, get broadband connected and find a job. Easy. :)
HA! Enjoy this.