The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

moomin

Post by moomin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 pm

nadsoliver wrote:Everything down my end is fine despite my stupid school mates claiming Kilburn is getting rowdy when the shops just closed early.

My sister went home today after being on holiday with us and she lives in Brixton down cold harbor lane and she said it's completely messed up down there, everything is broken.

I am just at loss for words, I am so angry and frustrated at the stupidity, particularly as it seems like kids who are mainly in my age group.
yeah my colleague lives down there and said the same
Clapham Junction isnt looking pretty and apparently its hitting Kings Road now

I am not Londons biggest fan but you live somewhere for long enough and it will get under your skin, if its true that my favourite venues are being smashed up in Camden then I will offer them myself to help with the clean up

I dont think I can really explain how I feel right now
even worse its a kind of resignation and acceptance that this is happening
finding it hard to feel shocked or anything else
looks like my immediate area is being skipped over for the more lucrative shopping areas
like being caught in a bubble with everything happening all around

nadsoliver

Post by nadsoliver » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 pm

moomin wrote:
nadsoliver wrote:Everything down my end is fine despite my stupid school mates claiming Kilburn is getting rowdy when the shops just closed early.

My sister went home today after being on holiday with us and she lives in Brixton down cold harbor lane and she said it's completely messed up down there, everything is broken.

I am just at loss for words, I am so angry and frustrated at the stupidity, particularly as it seems like kids who are mainly in my age group.
yeah my colleague lives down there and said the same
Clapham Junction isnt looking pretty and apparently its hitting Kings Road now

I am not Londons biggest fan but you live somewhere for long enough and it will get under your skin, if its true that my favourite venues are being smashed up in Camden then I will offer them myself to help with the clean up

I dont think I can really explain how I feel right now
even worse its a kind of resignation and acceptance that this is happening
finding it hard to feel shocked or anything else
looks like my immediate area is being skipped over for the more lucrative shopping areas
like being caught in a bubble with everything happening all around
I know what you mean, I'm not quite shocked but there are a lot of emotions.

Camden isn't far from me, I love that place it's really really upsetting to hear the Electric Ballroom has been smashed up. And what for?
29/06/10, 10/12/10, 21/04/11, 26/05/11, 28/08/11

Clur

Post by Clur » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 pm

nadsoliver wrote: And what for?
So a bunch of people can feel hard and like they have 'beaten the police and government'. I love the people saying they are taking their taxes back... as if its not going to actually going to cost everyone a fortune.

All the pro-rioters on twitter are barely literate. Just imagine if these rioters were actually intelligent how dangerous they'd be.

Being angry and feeling injustice is one thing, but expressing it like this is another. It achieves nothing. Except that tomorrow, there may be water cannons, curfews or army on streets. Except that tomorrow, theres going to be a whole bunch of innocent people out of work and homeless. Except theres kids terrified tonight.

How long before people die?

Just unspeakable what these people are doing. Pure selfishness. Nothing more.

I can't sleep. Its just horrible watching it unfold.

The only people going to benefit from this are emergency glazers!

newmy

Post by newmy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 am

Clur wrote:
nadsoliver wrote: And what for?
So a bunch of people can feel hard and like they have 'beaten the police and government'. I love the people saying they are taking their taxes back... as if its not going to actually going to cost everyone a fortune.
This is also laughable considering the percentage of the rioters who've ever paid tax is probably somewhere around the big fat 0% mark.

Living in London is kinda...scary right now. Saw a couple of police chases up my road, which is a fairly quiet residential street. Gang of kids on bikes being chased by a couple of police cars. One of the kids was knocked off his bike but sadly still got away. The police didn't appear to catch any of them from what I could see in fact. It was a mixture of exciting but terrifying to see it unfurling on my doorstep.

Clur

Post by Clur » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:57 am

newmy wrote:
This is also laughable considering the percentage of the rioters who've ever paid tax is probably somewhere around the big fat 0% mark.
I would say that, but I am cautious about making sweeping generalisations and trying to avoid the obvious stereotypes that they are merely reinforcing in a great many cases.

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 am

Apparently the PIAS warehouse burnt down. They hold the stock for a ton of indie labels, including Xtra Mile. This is bad.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:11 pm

They're actually writing a BNP manifesto as they go. I realise it's not all a particular ethnicity or group but we all know how easy things are to twist.

Desperately depressing, I've never ever felt genuinely scared in London before last night.

Clur

Post by Clur » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Pete wrote:They're actually writing a BNP manifesto as they go. I realise it's not all a particular ethnicity or group but we all know how easy things are to twist.

Desperately depressing, I've never ever felt genuinely scared in London before last night.
I've seen reports and photos that include all races, various ages and both males and females and I really think that point needs to be stressed rather than the widely reported 'young black male' stereotype. There were reports of organised EDL attacks last night for example.

To be truthful, some of the most uplifting stuff I've read has been about jewish and muslim communities uniting to protect a synagogue last night, the turkish community protecting hackney and the riotwombles today.

As one friend put it on facebook, "They come over here and protect our community"...

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Clur wrote:
Pete wrote:They're actually writing a BNP manifesto as they go. I realise it's not all a particular ethnicity or group but we all know how easy things are to twist.

I've seen reports and photos that include all races, various ages and both males and females and I really think that point needs to be stressed rather than the widely reported 'young black male' stereotype. There were reports of organised EDL attacks last night for example.

To be truthful, some of the most uplifting stuff I've read has been about jewish and muslim communities uniting to protect a synagogue last night, the turkish community protecting hackney and the riotwombles today.

As one friend put it on facebook, "They come over here and protect our community"...
Pretty sure I made that point. Doesn't stop the fact we all know how it can and will be painted.

And your friend didn't put it like that, the person they nicked it from on twitter did ;)

Clur

Post by Clur » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Pete wrote:
Clur wrote:

Pretty sure I made that point. Doesn't stop the fact we all know how it can and will be painted.

And your friend didn't put it like that, the person they nicked it from on twitter did ;)
Haha he probably did. But the point is there, doesn't really matter who made it.

And yeah I know you made the point too... I dunno, I'm just afraid that its too easy for people to make a casual remark without realising what they are saying sometimes (like friends did after Norway shooting). I wish I agreed with you when you say that we 'all know how it can and will be painted'. If that was the case, then we wouldn't need to make the point in the first place and it wouldn't be reported like that anyway, as it is deliberately trying to pander to certain parts of British Society which are still essentially racist.

I apologise that I'm sometimes in the camp of perhaps trying to hammer the point home too much! Its just its important to me, and I get frustrated by what is being reported badly and the fact that even educated people and people I respect and know to be very much liberal, still fall into the trap and still come out with very, very ignorant comments which they should know better about.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm

No need to apologise, just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to point at a race responsible. Although I certainly would point the finger at an age range.

Ealing is already under attack again. Ugh.

Sport Monkey

Post by Sport Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Surely the EDL should be defending us?

/twittertheft

nadsoliver

Post by nadsoliver » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Pete wrote:No need to apologise, just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to point at a race responsible. Although I certainly would point the finger at an age range.

So early? here I was thinking "at least if I go out in the day I'll feel safer" guess if we're going doing things in the evening it's best to travel in groups and go to each other houses, I was enjoying going out and feeling reasonably safe too but thats thrown out the window now.

As much as I hate to, I'd point the finger at an age range too, one that I unfortunately fall into.
29/06/10, 10/12/10, 21/04/11, 26/05/11, 28/08/11

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

nadsoliver wrote:
Pete wrote:No need to apologise, just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to point at a race responsible. Although I certainly would point the finger at an age range.

So early? here I was thinking "at least if I go out in the day I'll feel safer" guess if we're going doing things in the evening it's best to travel in groups and go to each other houses, I was enjoying going out and feeling reasonably safe too but thats thrown out the window now.

As much as I hate to, I'd point the finger at an age range too, one that I unfortunately fall into.
According to Twitter, it's just locked down and riot police are there, but nothing as yet.

Just been down hatton garden, which is all shut up. Some dude got arrested, and loads of bystanders started shouting abuse at the coppers. I was convinced it was going to kick off but all seemed fine after a couple of minutes. I didnt hang around though.

I would like to go home now.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Ditto. My boss just accused me of being part the cause:

"People like you, consumers of mass media who are desperate for the next photo, stopping the police doing their job". Yep... Me, hiding in my fucking flat watching the news, definitely my doing.