The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Kirsty wrote:The Derren Brown show will be broadcast live while the lottery is also on, not pre-recorded, then how he did it will be revealed on the Friday show.
I appreciate that, but I am prophesying that the loophole being used is that there is a delay between the numbers being drawn and the "live" lottery show being broadcast. Anything above about 30 seconds delay would work fine. Most shows are broadcast "as live", I know most football matches are a good minute behind...
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.

professor science

Post by professor science » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 pm

He's going to get it wrong, then look all smug and tell some sickly "moral of the story" tale and someone in the audience will cry.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:18 pm

As long as there is a long enough gap to overcome the delay of the live feed. If you had a 12 second delay on the feed from the lottery draw and say a 5 second delay on the 'secret location' feed and some way to communicate then between them with minimal delay then it would be a fairly easy way to set the whole thing up (and also a very boring reveal). This would be the case both in more dull 'earpiece' methods and in more interesting 'reading the presenter' methods of communication. An even easier method, but one that doesn't have the live element of the other two, is to pre-record him saying the numbers '1' through '49' or however many numbers there are in the lottery, and then play it one by one as soon as the numbers are selected and with a reduced delay. There are other ways you can probably think of doing a 'number-by-number' prediction during the draw.

It would, however, be impressive if he managed to predict the whole set of numbers and air the full prediction 10-15 minutes in advance of the draw (obviously assuming no tinkering with the live draw itself).

Edit: Same point made by Tomasz basically :)

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Note: I assume it's also all six numbers needed. If it's any less then I can think of more fun ways of doing it (in the one-by-one method the obvious way to do it, as pointed out on another news article, is to just say the number that was selected previously and get at least 5 out of 6 correct and make it look like he has no idea about what's going on in the draw or something).

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:28 pm

The way to really impress everybody would be release the numbers today. Sure, we'd all win nothing as it'd be split 500,000 ways, but it'd be damn impressive to see that! World news, made for life stuff. But he's not, which makes me wonder why not, which leads me to my explanation...

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:28 pm

People still aren't addressing the BBC / Ch4 thing though - do you really think the BBC and Camelot would be complicit in helping Channel 4 rake in viewers? I don't see it.
frank wrote:Think of it like weight-lifting. High notes are heavy weights.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Amanda wrote:Note: I assume it's also all six numbers needed. If it's any less then I can think of more fun ways of doing it (in the one-by-one method the obvious way to do it, as pointed out on another news article, is to just say the number that was selected previously and get at least 5 out of 6 correct and make it look like he has no idea about what's going on in the draw or something).
He's said he's hoping to get "at least five out of six right", so if he gets the first one wrong and the others right then you could have it :)

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Tomasz wrote:The way to really impress everybody would be release the numbers today. Sure, we'd all win nothing as it'd be split 500,000 ways, but it'd be damn impressive to see that! World news, made for life stuff. But he's not, which makes me wonder why not, which leads me to my explanation...
Now that I could see being a camelot marketing ploy - imagine the ticket sales if he released what he thought would be 4 of the numbers and left the other 2 for people to guess. People are idiots and would lap it up.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Pete wrote:People still aren't addressing the BBC / Ch4 thing though - do you really think the BBC and Camelot would be complicit in helping Channel 4 rake in viewers? I don't see it.
Doesn't have to if there's a live audience...

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Tomasz wrote:
Pete wrote:People still aren't addressing the BBC / Ch4 thing though - do you really think the BBC and Camelot would be complicit in helping Channel 4 rake in viewers? I don't see it.
So you're hoping they have a plant in the audience? Very elaborate, would also expect the BBC make people sign some kind of non-disclosure type thing when they come into filming things like the lottery, not that anyone can impact the results at that point, just as a safety measure for things like this (well, people revealing the numbers prior to them being shown on telly, rather than someone claiming they are magic!)

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Tomasz wrote:
Took the words right out of my fingers.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Pete wrote:
Tomasz wrote:
So you're hoping they have a plant in the audience? Very elaborate, would also expect the BBC make people sign some kind of non-disclosure type thing when they come into filming things like the lottery, not that anyone can impact the results at that point, just as a safety measure for things like this (well, people revealing the numbers prior to them being shown on telly, rather than someone claiming they are magic!)
That's true in the sense that obviously he's announced in advance so either (a) someone violates this (I can't foresee that being too difficult), (b) the BBC are complicit or (c) the BBC are not complicit but he still gets an early feed.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Least he's succeeded in getting us talking about him!

Marta

Post by Marta » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:52 pm

That would be SO disappointing.
Too easy to work out.

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:08 pm

On the trailer for his new series there are some numbers attached to a lampost:

6, 10, 25, 32 and 47

If these come out on Wednesday I will probably vomit. I'm putting them on just in case, probably win a tenner :(

Let's keep this to ourselves though, just in case yeah ;)