The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Pete wrote:I guess pasta is something a lot of people only truly discover at uni...
what about growing up?

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Did you get a spare copy for yourself too? I've never once read mine in the 5 years since i wrote it... A solid 60, was always my aim and exactly what i got!

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm

BenMD wrote:
Pete wrote:I guess pasta is something a lot of people only truly discover at uni...
what about growing up?
Ah, you BSBs (Boarding School Boys) obviously had to do stuff like that, I had mumsy to make me lovely varieties of traditional classics, the only pasta based regular occurrence was spaghetti, which got zoned out when my sister and I made up a fictional character named spaghetti wallace that amused us so much we couldn't eat without pissing ourselves laughing.

David

Post by David » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Pete wrote:Did you get a spare copy for yourself too? I've never once read mine in the 5 years since i wrote it... A solid 60, was always my aim and exactly what i got!
nah might get a copy for myself at some point. my parents might want to read it(!). need to get a copy done for my college library at some point. also in talks with my tutor to get parts of it published in a jointly authored article. :shock: i'm holding my breath on that one until I have finished my finals exams though.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Thesis... Fuck, don't know why i read dissertation! That's a completely different ball game! You going to stick with academia or move into something else?

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 pm

is it weird that my mum cooks pasta a lot? What? My whole idea of the world just turned on its head... were you eating chips your whole life or something?

David

Post by David » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Pete wrote:Thesis... Fuck, don't know why i read dissertation! That's a completely different ball game! You going to stick with academia or move into something else?
nah thesis here = dissertation. just two words used for the same thing. (is this different at other unis then? I have never understood the distinction). I am an undergrad, but may do a masters next year if I get the funding. might go into academia - but it doesn't seem massively appealing.

edit: on the pasta thing, my mum cooks a lot of pasta. staple food, innit.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Lots of toad in the hole, shepherds pie, liver (i fucking love pigs liver), bacon, egg and chips was a common one, faggots (Brains Faggots kick ass), roast dinners, pizza, reasonably cheap stuff, offal and entrails basically. Despite being incredibly posh and seemingly well educated, i was essentially raised as a chav, but a well meaning metal head chav!

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:08 pm

David wrote:
Pete wrote:Thesis... Fuck, don't know why i read dissertation! That's a completely different ball game! You going to stick with academia or move into something else?
nah thesis here = dissertation. just two words used for the same thing. (is this different at other unis then? I have never understood the distinction). I am an undergrad, but may do a masters next year if I get the funding. might go into academia - but it doesn't seem massively appealing.

edit: on the pasta thing, my mum cooks a lot of pasta. staple food, innit.
I thought Thesis would be the one after dissertation but appears not... what's that then?

David

Post by David » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:13 pm

erm I think it is just referred to as 'undergraduate thesis', 'masters thesis' and then 'doctoral thesis'. not really sure tbh.

liver is fucking disgusting.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:15 pm

David wrote:erm I think it is just referred to as 'undergraduate thesis', 'masters thesis' and then 'doctoral thesis'. not really sure tbh.

liver is fucking disgusting.
Everyone thinks liver is disgusting, but it has a bad name... If ever there is some kind of forum based 'Come Dine With Me' i'll happily cook everyone liver, bacon and sauteed potatoes and you'll change your mind, honestly!

Fezbob

Post by Fezbob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Kenny wrote:
Fezbob wrote:
Kenny wrote: HA!

My area manager (cock), said to me something along the lines of "Morrisons are fucking shit, they're the WORST supermarket to work for and are going nowhere!"

I'm very tempted to e-mail him that link.
Am I right in thinking you currently work for Somerfield? If so I remember my area manager being somewhat a cock, the management weren't much better either. I shake with fear whenever I hear anyone say the words "work" and "freezers" in the same sentence to this day.
No, I currently work for this company: http://www.stokesplc.com
I think I'm right in saying that they're the UK's largest independent Fruit and Veg retailer. They've been my only employer. I started there in May '99 at the age of 15.
Ah many apologies for suggesting you worked in said hell hole :wink:, just needed to get my supermarket related rant off my chest! I have to say from my experience of Morrisons at uni you've gone to the best place really, never had a bad experience and from what I hear they're performing better than a lot of supermarkets.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 pm

BenMD wrote:is it weird that my mum cooks pasta a lot? What? My whole idea of the world just turned on its head... were you eating chips your whole life or something?
Its not weird. We have pasta a lot. I can't even begin to understand how someone could have gone 18 years without eating any pasta.

That rice question wasn't serious, I'm not that blonde.

LeighAnn

Post by LeighAnn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Here in the states, it's a masters thesis, and doctoral dissertation. Very few universities here do an undergrad/senior/bachelors thesis. my undergrad did, but it was unusual in that respect. And in my high school, I had to spend a year doing a senior thesis, which I've never known anyone else at other schools doing (in the USA). you'd think, with all the fucking writing I've done, I could spell, but I'm lucky to string a couple words together these days.
[url=htthttp://www.last.fm/user/FendersRock]my ears[/url] ~ my eyes ~ myspaz ~ my biz

LeighAnn

Post by LeighAnn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Pasta has always been a staple in my family. hey, its cheap, and you can do so much with it. With7-8 people in the house (sometimes more when we had various other randoms living with us) it's helps spread the market budget.

At uni, the best birthday gift I got was when a friend gave me a whole case of ramen noodles. That was like my food budget for a month!
[url=htthttp://www.last.fm/user/FendersRock]my ears[/url] ~ my eyes ~ myspaz ~ my biz