The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Venomous_Bear

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Venomous_Bear » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Danlechief wrote:It's so quiet on here when there's not a uk tour
...I've been hamboning quietly in the background for like five days; you guys just haven't noticed. My resentment hath overflown.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu May 08, 2014 1:03 pm

I don't really "get" spam. Like the kitten stuff. Who's that for? What's the point? Genuine question from a computer illiterate.
"Age is no object if you're in love.

Oh shit what have I just said?"

frank turner, Birmingham, 18th November 2015

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Danlechief wrote:I don't really "get" spam. Like the kitten stuff. Who's that for? What's the point? Genuine question from a computer illiterate.
It's to get you to click on the link. The link will then report back any number of things to a database of some description. There could be any number of reasons they want you to click that link, such as to generate traffic through a number of hops to boost advertising revenues, or to try and capture things like your IP address, or to install spyware or blah blah blah. I don't really understand the full ins and outs, but it's rarely a good thing.

Clicking a spam link from email will reveal that it is a valid email address, which in turn will then be sold out to further spammers.
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Oh yeah, and the kitten stuff is to get past the spam filters, like spelling fluffy kitten, k*i*t*c*h*e*n, etc
Beverley, Birmingham, Blackheath, Boston, Cheltenham, Dublin, Donington, Guildford, Hatfield, Hoboken, Knebworth, Latitude, Leamington Spa, London, Manchester, New York, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sayreville, Sheffield, Southend, Wembley, Wolverhampton.

darlenet.

Post by darlenet. » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Evan wrote:Oh yeah, and the kitten stuff is to get past the spam filters, like spelling fluffy kitten, k*i*t*c*h*e*n, etc
Rat bastards.
shows? 64 so far

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu May 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Wow. The internets a weird place.

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu May 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Hang on. I'm probably about to sound silly but if we've blocked the word "fluffy kitten" why not block "kitten" too?

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu May 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Whoa. Mindfuck.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu May 08, 2014 6:13 pm

I meant fluffy kitten by the way…k*i*etc…oops

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 pm

What happens if i decide to tell everyone that's just had a new "microwave and washing machine room" fitted?

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

OOOOOOkay.

So, I'm tolerant, patient, and usually can find the humour in any sort of situation, but I am annoyed.

My boss (a power-hungry one) demanded passive aggressively that we help...my boss...assemble binders for a huge board meeting on Monday. No worries, right? Not a problem. My boss invited 10 people to accomplish this, all of whom are well-versed in strategic analysis (and are determined to demonstrate this at every opportunity).

We were all expecting several hours of work. My boss then told us we would be rewarded with coffee for staying and helping...which...it's kind of our job to just do whatever needs to be done, so we were all perplexed. But we were then obligated to remain, because...Starbuckian protocol requires it, or something. I don't know.

The job: 25 binders with four tabs; 100 pages in total.

AKA work for one person. MAYBE two people (one to do QAQC). Only...my boss...didn't print everything until the "meeting" was about to start, so we stood around watching the hypnotic tango of the feed tray for 2.5 hours.

I am all for streamlining procedures, and finding the most efficient ways to accomplish tasks. But holy motherfucking JESUS, if I ever have to spend that long in a room with ANALysts EVER AGAIN, I will promptly insert myself into the vacancy I have created in the glass with 25 partially-filled binders of bullshit.

Happy Friday, my boss can go fuck my boss' self, etc.

What a waste of resources. At least I got free coffee.

Now to finish everything I could have done in that time...
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Fri May 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Fuck, hold on

**EDIT: The feed tray was actually a waltz, not a tango. Forgive my ignorance

Gleena

Post by Gleena » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 am

FIGJAM - high distinctions on three papers. Aww yeah.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Venomous_Bear

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Way to go, m'lady!!! ;)

Danlechief

Post by Danlechief » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:47 am

Hello everyone. Hope you're all well. It's a bit quiet on here at the moment.