The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

frank
Site Admin

Post by frank » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Fezbob wrote:Head like an egg and punchlines full of grunts and tits/other "manly" jokes....sorry Frank. Actually, second thoughts retract the sorry.

In other news disaster strikes at the Emirates where my Fantasy Football captain for the week gets harshly sent off. This is a disaster!
..thereby demonstrating that you haven't actually watched much of his standup. he's actually really intelligent with his humour, just in a subtle way. i dismissed him casually when i'd basically not seen any of his standup, and was humbled when i actually took the time. very, very funny. also, possibly the best ad-libber ever.

Fezbob

Post by Fezbob » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Haha touché admittedly I only have The Pub Landlord on tv to go by, but it lead me to dislike him.

Blair

Post by Blair » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:32 pm

frank wrote:
Fezbob wrote:Head like an egg and punchlines full of grunts and tits/other "manly" jokes....sorry Frank. Actually, second thoughts retract the sorry.

In other news disaster strikes at the Emirates where my Fantasy Football captain for the week gets harshly sent off. This is a disaster!
..thereby demonstrating that you haven't actually watched much of his standup. he's actually really intelligent with his humour, just in a subtle way. i dismissed him casually when i'd basically not seen any of his standup, and was humbled when i actually took the time. very, very funny. also, possibly the best ad-libber ever.
does it help that I've seen a fair amount of his stand up and still think he's pretty wank?

his banter with the front row is sooooo by the numbers. "Whats your name? ... Great English name that ... GRUNT" and the whole "What do you do for a living?" routine, even stevie wonder can see the jokes coming a mile off.

I'm not hugely into character based stand up comedy though, and I think you'd really have to be English to find a lot of it funny. Dont really find the jokes that funny when a lot of the time its "i hate the french" and "god bless the queen" stuff. obviously its tongue in cheek, but its not really lol worthy in the first place.

Blair's List of Good Comedians:
Tim Vine
Michael McIntyre
Eddie Izzard (just his early stuff though. saw some stuff from later on in his career and was a bit disappointed)
Patrice O'neal
Mitch Hedburg
Peter Kay
Ricky Gervais
Lee Mack
Lee Evans
Sean Lock
Jimmy Carr (in small doses. a whole show of stand up is a bit tiring)
Tony Law
Omid Dajilil
Harry Hill

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Dylan Moran is my favourite.
thepriceofreality wrote:i have absolutely no idea who nick oakden is unfortunately, sorry.

Blair

Post by Blair » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 pm

shit! i forgot him, yeah he's deffo on the list as well. and bill bailey.

tosh

Post by tosh » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Simon Amstell is pretty awesome too, don't think he's been mentioned yet.
Aprils wrote:there is literally no hope
Barry wrote:
emma_jane wrote:my bf
I'm out

benb

Post by benb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Very true, Never Mind The Buzzcocks got much better once he took over.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah Lee Evans is great, saw him live once but missed out the second time due to having the flu. Also really like Ross Noble, seen him quite a few times and going to see him again next year. Saw Michael McIntyre on TV recently, Live at the Apollo, didn't rate him before that but found him really funny. I think the only other more well known one I've seen is Jo Brand, she was okay, but not all that funny. There are many others who I would like to see live as well.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:50 pm

benb wrote:Very true, Never Mind The Buzzcocks got much better once he took over.
I really like Amstell, but I still prefer Mark Lamarr.
Stu

newmy

Post by newmy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:05 pm

teamescape wrote:
benb wrote:Very true, Never Mind The Buzzcocks got much better once he took over.
I really like Amstell, but I still prefer Mark Lamarr.
I always thought Lamarr was unbelievably boring, and totally and utterly up himself. Amstell is up himself, but in a different, and infinitely more likeable way.

I agree with Blair about Murray, his banter just struck me as rubbish, consisting mainly of commenting on people's "lovely English names".

I also agree about character based stand up, it just doesn't work for me either. I happen to find Steve Coogan one of the most hilarious men ever, with Alan Partridge being one of the best things ever. However, I own a stand up dvd of his and thought it was beyond terrible, as the characters were so so weak, and it all just felt so wrong. Even the bits as Partridge were totally lame.

Also, somone mentioned earlier about not laughing out loud at The Office, this is probably because it's not really laugh out loud humour, unlike Father Ted* which was also mentioned. The humour comes from the horribly uncomfortable and painful situations that make you cringe.

*I find this show one of the most overrated comedies ever. It's all just so painfully obvious.

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:25 pm

frank wrote:

I find him really painful to watch/listen to. The "subtle" humour that makes him hilarious is obviously so subtle that it only gets picked up by a certain class of people. In this case; benders.

Yeah, you heard, Turner :D
Stu

newmy

Post by newmy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:55 pm

teamescape wrote:
frank wrote:

I find him really painful to watch/listen to. The "subtle" humour that makes him hilarious is obviously so subtle that it only gets picked up by a certain class of people. In this case; benders.

Yeah, you heard, Turner :D
I'd have thought "benders" as you so delicately put it would be one of the last groups of people to find his lad-infused stella-fuelled oh so english oh so fucking straight you wouldn't believe humour in the least bit funny.

skhmmi

Post by skhmmi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Does Al Murray ever tour as himself rather than Pub Landlord?

dave-monk

Post by dave-monk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 am

skhmmi wrote:Does Al Murray ever tour as himself rather than Pub Landlord?
Hes an ex-Cambridge student and a fairly good drummer.

How on gods green eat has no-one mentioned Jarred Christmas!

Fucking amazing. Massively under-rated!
"Last night was an A1, tip top clubbing jam fare, it was a sandwich of fun, on extasy bread, wrapped up in a big bag like disco fudge, it does get much better than that, i just wish i could CONTROL THESE FUCKING MOOD SWINGS!"

benb

Post by benb » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:06 am

newmy wrote:Also, somone mentioned earlier about not laughing out loud at The Office, this is probably because it's not really laugh out loud humour, unlike Father Ted* which was also mentioned.
Both of these were me, in the same post in fact, I guess we're just in to different things. Apart from Amstell > Lamarr, good call man.

Oh, someone*.
dave-monk wrote:
skhmmi wrote:Does Al Murray ever tour as himself rather than Pub Landlord?
Hes an ex-Cambridge student and a fairly good drummer.

How on gods green eat has no-one mentioned Jarred Christmas!

Fucking amazing. Massively under-rated!
earth* :P