The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:19 pm

KatyS wrote: what evan said about CVs is so true, I read some that had been handed into my work and they were just embarrassing..
I have seen some appalling CVs in my time. An old boss used to keep a collection of the very worst. It is incredible what people think is relevant for job hunting. For instance, writing "I one day hope to make a career as a DJ, but need a job in the meantime" is not a good plan (Honestly, someone actually thought that wise to put on their CV)

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:23 pm

When i worked for a rather infamous london estate agents many moons ago, you got a grand if you referred someone and they got a job... A friend asked me to refer a girl from the year below me at uni who i did not know too well but i thought it'd be worth it as she could end up getting me a grand. Safe to say the personnel lady who came round looking rather pissed off was very quick to inform me that it is not a good response, when asked 'where do you see yourself in a year from now', to say 'working for UBS or another big bank'... For someone who was supposed to be smart...

David

Post by David » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Evan wrote:
KatyS wrote: what evan said about CVs is so true, I read some that had been handed into my work and they were just embarrassing..
I have seen some appalling CVs in my time. An old boss used to keep a collection of the very worst. It is incredible what people think is relevant for job hunting. For instance, writing "I one day hope to make a career as a DJ, but need a job in the meantime" is not a good plan (Honestly, someone actually thought that wise to put on their CV)
back when i worked in homebase during sixth form i used to occassionally have a look at the application forms that came in. lots of them were filled in by people who were applying to jobs just so that they would fill the requirement for getting the dole - so they attempted to seem so bad that there is no way they would be employed. many even wrote in 'why do you want this job' box that they didn't actually want the job.
DanIrelle wrote:LAWLZ DAVID eek

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:27 pm

Ahhh the dole...I remember all that crappy jobs I had to apply for so they wouldnt stop my benefit...awful times

chris_159

Post by chris_159 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

For anyone who happens to be based in the Cardiff area (mainly near Pontypridd)...

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I used to read through the CV's given in at work to assign them to potential dept. managers. Best one was some Mongolian kid who listed his languages: Russian: Fluent, English: Good, Chinese: Bad.

My chinese is also bad, that's why I don't put it on my CV. I remember Tom MD telling me about a guy who'd filled in the "reasons for leaving last job" section as "rebel invasion." Now the guy was from some African country so in reality it's a harsh reason, but out of context it's amazing...

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Finally got my voice back after a week of hardly being able to speak.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:58 pm

(double post)
Last edited by Kirsty on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tosh

Post by tosh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

good to see you're making the most of it :wink:
Last edited by tosh on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aprils wrote:there is literally no hope
Barry wrote:
emma_jane wrote:my bf
I'm out

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm

so much so you chose to say it twice. Welcome back.

Talking of which, who gets the fear that maybe they can't speak anymore when you get those mornings when you spend ages getting up and you realise you've been alive for five hours that day and haven't spoken to anyone or made any noise from your voice and then you get an important call or something?

anyone?

no?

right.... yeah me neither..... :roll:

tosh

Post by tosh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:12 pm

BenMD wrote:so much so you chose to say it twice. Welcome back.
thanks for spelling out my joke (Y)
Aprils wrote:there is literally no hope
Barry wrote:
emma_jane wrote:my bf
I'm out

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:18 pm

Heh yeah, sorry, net keeps going off so didn't realise it had worked the first time.

BenMD

Post by BenMD » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm

tosh wrote:
BenMD wrote:so much so you chose to say it twice. Welcome back.
thanks for spelling out my joke (Y)
I started typing it when you're post wasn't there...wanna fight about it?

newmy

Post by newmy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Talking of which, who gets the fear that maybe they can't speak anymore when you get those mornings when you spend ages getting up and you realise you've been alive for five hours that day and haven't spoken to anyone or made any noise from your voice and then you get an important call or something?
I don't get that specifically, but I do sometimes realise that I haven't made a vocal noise for many hours and I just become really really aware of that fact. I usually then blurt out loud the first thing that's in my head as if to break the silence.

DanIrelle

Post by DanIrelle » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Mini Me is gorgeous :)
Aprils wrote:Now we've just got DaniEreEllle