The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

skhmmi
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by skhmmi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:21 am

Lars wrote:So this link is obviously mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphJsFQIHaI
macgyver line from nottingham.

Then look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQonMR3Yh4

Same video. Any logic behind someone downloading my video off youtube and putting it back up with their username?
I don't know why, but I have seen it done several times on there. As it's your video and you still hold copyright you could file an infringement notice with youtube if you wished.

User avatar
Sonofjellison
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:39 am
Location: London

Post by Sonofjellison » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:50 am

Well technically if you post a video on Youtube you basically forfeit the copyright and grant anyone a non-exclusive license to reuse the video.
As I learned when the Birmingham Mail stole one of my videos for the frontpage of their site and used the stills on page 3 of their print version.

skhmmi
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by skhmmi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:07 am

Sonofjellison wrote:Well technically if you post a video on Youtube you basically forfeit the copyright and grant anyone a non-exclusive license to reuse the video.
As I learned when the Birmingham Mail stole one of my videos for the frontpage of their site and used the stills on page 3 of their print version.
Not actually true. You grant youtube non-exclusive distribution rights to your material (which you have to do, otherwise they'd be breaching copyright and owing you royalties everytime someone watched your video), but the users of the site are only permitted to view your video, and certainly not download or capture it using external tools (which amounts to circumvention of copy-protection measures, and falls within the scope of piracy under the DMCA). You fully retain ownership rights to everything you submit. If you delete your video from the site, youtube's licence to distribute your material ceases. At no point do you release your ownership rights to anything you upload, nor do you grant exclusive distribution rights to youtube at any stage. Go read section 5B of the Ts&Cs if you don't believe me.

People used to circulate similar rumours about myspace, saying that in the licence uploading music to myspace meant they could do anything they wanted with it without crediting you or cutting you into the profits. Again, completely untrue. Agreeing to their licence very specifically permits them to distribute your work (again, otherwise they'd be owing you money and breaching copyright every time somebody played your track or added it to their myspace page), but does not transfer ownership rights to your work to them at all.

In the case you describe, if the Birmingham Mail linked or embedded the youtube video, it still falls under youtube's distribution as the video is sourced from their servers. If they downloaded it to their own site and distributed it directly, you have cause to take legal action against them if you wish, as you did not grant THEM access to distribute your video. The stills would potentially fall under the "fair use" section of copyright law if they depicted something in your video where no free equivalent exists, but that's a bit more complex.

skhmmi
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by skhmmi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:41 am

500 pages of the NOTHING TO SAY thread.

That's a lot of nothing. Congratulations. :)

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Foggy London Town
Contact:

Post by Ellie » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Yeah and the most popular thread, with loads more posts than any other, just to say nowt.

User avatar
Sonofjellison
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:39 am
Location: London

Post by Sonofjellison » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:37 pm

skhmmi wrote:
Sonofjellison wrote:Well technically if you post a video on Youtube you basically forfeit the copyright and grant anyone a non-exclusive license to reuse the video.
As I learned when the Birmingham Mail stole one of my videos for the frontpage of their site and used the stills on page 3 of their print version.
Ok, so "forfeit the copyright" is incorrect but you do grant users a licence to re-use or reproduce the video:

"You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service."

So Lars probably can't do anything except remove his video then report the infringement. But hey... it's only footage of MD.

Edit: Just seen this bit too:

"YouTube permits you to link to materials on the Website for personal, non-commercial purposes only"

So I probably could have got the Birmingham Mail to take it down. But again, it's not a massive deal to me.

skhmmi
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by skhmmi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Sonofjellison wrote:Ok, so "forfeit the copyright" is incorrect but you do grant users a licence to re-use or reproduce the video:

"You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service."

So Lars probably can't do anything except remove his video then report the infringement. But hey... it's only footage of MD.
There's nothing in the functionality of the website that permits you to take a copy of a video. You have to have your own tools to do that. As I highlight above, that's outside the licence you grant other users. That licence is, for the moment, to allow people to favourite your videos and play them in those video chatrooms. And presumably they've allowed scope for maybe creating some clip re-mixing features within the youtube website in the future. But I imagine that if they do they'll have percentage limitations to avoid people just block copying a clip. But that's speculation anyway.
Sonofjellison wrote:Edit: Just seen this bit too:

"YouTube permits you to link to materials on the Website for personal, non-commercial purposes only"

So I probably could have got the Birmingham Mail to take it down. But again, it's not a massive deal to me.
There is a sublicensing clause in what you grant to youtube, that allows youtube to grant other sites (like the Birmingham Mail) rights to embed youtube content for the purposes of promoting the youtube site and your content. That licence comes on the same terms you grant youtube, so they can't take payment for it without cutting you in (although indirectly they profit from the extra site traffic).

Anyway, this is dull. Point is: Lars can get that copycat uploader removed if he wants, and you're still the only person who's allowed to profit directly off your own video until you agree otherwise.

This conversation does have some relevance, though. Everyone is at the moment uploading their vids for frank's DVD to youtube to exhibit. If there was any implicit signing over of ownership rights to youtube, frank might have issues putting them on his DVD afterward. Thankfully, that's not the case with youtube. But be wary if you choose to upload them anywhere else.

User avatar
Sonofjellison
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:39 am
Location: London

Post by Sonofjellison » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeah, okay I guess so.
skhmmi wrote:
Sonofjellison wrote:Edit: Just seen this bit too:

"YouTube permits you to link to materials on the Website for personal, non-commercial purposes only"

So I probably could have got the Birmingham Mail to take it down. But again, it's not a massive deal to me.
There is a sublicensing clause in what you grant to youtube, that allows youtube to grant other sites (like the Birmingham Mail) rights to embed youtube content for the purposes of promoting the youtube site and your content. That licence comes on the same terms you grant youtube, so they can't take payment for it without cutting you in (although indirectly they profit from the extra site traffic).
I didn't make my point clear but I was saying that the Birmingham Mail used it for commericial gain; against the T&Cs.

But you're right - it is quite dull.

User avatar
jammus
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:44 am

Post by jammus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:45 am

skhmmi wrote:Anyway, this is dull
maybe. but it was nicely summed up. thank you.
I tend to get on with everyone, although I don't like all the chat from the Diana Circle - they say lots of nasty things about Camilla Parker Bowles, and talk about conspiracies, and play Candle In The Wind a lot.

User avatar
Lars
Posts: 1173
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:49 pm
Contact:

Post by Lars » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:10 pm

http://www.hippieburner.com - Frank audio / live vids

Ice cream eating mother fucker

User avatar
rock_midget
Posts: 1395
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:21 am
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Post by rock_midget » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Megalolz
***ROCK MIDGETS.COM***
...size matters...
http://www.rockmidgets.com
http://www.myspace.com/rockmidgets
BenMD wrote:Whoop de fucking do. I didn't rape anyone last night. Someone give me a biscuit.

Aprils
Posts: 3919
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:52 pm

Post by Aprils » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:45 pm

enormous lol

Mikey
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: County Durham, in England.
Contact:

Post by Mikey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:51 pm

I thought he was going to get his wang out there.
Nick wrote: carry on making those tunes eh
Image

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Foggy London Town
Contact:

Post by Ellie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Yeah, it looks like he's about to do his elephant impression.


I was at this gig, Del spattered his piss on my shoes, good times.

User avatar
teamescape
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:24 pm

Post by teamescape » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Someone from the London branch of the place I work in sent round an email selling 6 Barbra Streisand tickets for £600 each. Some people...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest