The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

User avatar
newmy
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: London

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by newmy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 am

I've been having a bit of a Frank renaissance after a fairly long period of not really being interested in listening to his music.

Wrote a bit of a gushing paragraph here initially but I'll just leave a "good work" instead.

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Bella » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Gleena wrote:I got my new tattoo, see? http://i.imgur.com/60q8aEg.jpg?1 She is Justitia, the Lady Justice. Down the side of my (ample) left thigh.

She's awesome and I love my artist.

The groin pull from holding a weird position (and possibly tensing up like all hell cause it hurt)? That's worse than the the pain from the tattoo itself. Ow.

wow - Love that!!

hope the groin pull has healed!

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Bella » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 pm

thanks for the sickly support :D
had some lovely messages from some people on here - Thank you

here is the update




So off I trek to the doctors again
Through the epic wind and rain
Good news is the chest x-ray’s clear
But coughing still, maybe more tests in the New Year
We will see how things go
Keeping up the current meds and asthma flow
Steam, eucalyptus and the heating on
When will this thing ever be gone?

Still trying to sleep sitting up
Rolled in the duvet not a lot of luck
Doc had no advice to get more sleep
Pills won’t help, I’m allergic
I’m doing all the things I’m supposed to do
Restful sleep evades, and coughs and snuffles rule
I going through honey like you wouldn’t believe
And don’t ask how many tissues I need
Ginger drinks and garlic in my food
I’m fighting it, I think I’ve proved

So if you haven’t heard from me
It’s because I’m coughing fitfully
My voice is squeaky and horse
There’s always the internet of course…
Pass the remote and tv guide
I’m huddling here for a while
In my duvet den of warmth
Conserving strength of body and thought
Kettles on for another steam and a drink
I think my body’s on the blink

So if you can smell menthol, it’s only me
Trying to breath and trying to sleep

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Gleena » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 am

Hope you feel better soon, Bella.

Here's something to help you Northern Hemispherians dream of summer as you freeze. An Enchanted BBQ. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elwood/b ... 1035043823

I can get there to pick it up if anybody is interested. (No, seriously, go look!)
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Venomous_Bear » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Is there any way to incorporate how good I am at sleeping into my CV? I feel like it's a sought-after skill that I excel at, and that people should know. I sleep at all the right times, but I'm not like an addict or anything. I'm just amazing at things like.... Staying asleep, and not being a sleep nuisance (e.g. stealing blankets and shit). And I'm not a sleep diva. If we have to sleep in the same room (or, *gasp*, the same bed) and you need music, don't even worry about it! I'm fine with or without.

Thoughts?
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

lareinedeslames
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by lareinedeslames » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:Is there any way to incorporate how good I am at sleeping into my CV?
I'd hire you. I'm horrible at sleeping. Teach me your secrets!

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Venomous_Bear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:37 pm

lareinedeslames wrote:
Venomous_Bear wrote:Is there any way to incorporate how good I am at sleeping into my CV?
I'd hire you. I'm horrible at sleeping. Teach me your secrets!
OMG. Are you seated? With a steno pad?

Ready?

HOW TO MAKE A SLEEP

Step 1: put on PJs.
Or don't. *shifty eyes* *raises eyebrows suggestively*

Step 2: exfoliate, cleanse, tone and moisturize yo' face!!! It makes you feel like a snake. It's almost the best part of the day :D see you later, old skin! Thanks for the memories!

Step 3: brush your teeth AND FLOSS. Recommendation: get a water flosser...it's insane. It's like going to the dentist every goddamn night. This is the thing I miss most when I travel. *stares off into distance*
Dear Warwick... I promise you'll see the world someday. Mark my words.

Step 4: get in the covers!! NOT under them. IN them. Your bed is an envelope and you are the letter.
Now, this is the tricky part. See, I'm a sheet person m'self, (obviously the fitted sheet on the mattress is a given, but that extra wee liner sheet is what I mean) but my ex was a strictly duvet only person. If you have a sleeping partner (HIGH FIVE), I recommend only duvet, so you don't get tangled and afraid. OR get separate blankets. It is my firm belief that this is a huge contributor to insomniac tendencies; no one wants to be trapped anywhere, let alone in woven cotton when you're trying to rest (regardless of the sexy thread count).

Step 5: close your eyes!! Stop looking at shit. Turn off the light. Stop thinking and worrying about stuff you can't control. You're not thirsty or hungry. Just keep saying "sleep" in your head, and then it happens, and it's FUCKING magical. You know what it's like?! It's like time travel, you guys. You close your eyes and it's one time, and you open them, and it's LATER even though you were just laying there, serene and motionless.

Step 6: give yourself a pat on the back, you hero! You did it :) Great work!

[NOTE: if you have kids, or a restless partner, or a cat who thinks it's hilarious to stand on your chest (I actually have this problem, so I sleep on my SIDE, and he smacks me in the face when it's time to get up instead), none of the above will help you. You should probably implement sensory deprivation and/or sedatives, but that's a little intense for this forum.]
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Rubber_Soul
Posts: 1715
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Hythe

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Rubber_Soul » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Venomous_Bear wrote:
lareinedeslames wrote:
Venomous_Bear wrote:Is there any way to incorporate how good I am at sleeping into my CV?
I'd hire you. I'm horrible at sleeping. Teach me your secrets!
OMG. Are you seated? With a steno pad?

Ready?

HOW TO MAKE A SLEEP

Step 1: put on PJs.
Or don't. *shifty eyes* *raises eyebrows suggestively*

Step 2: exfoliate, cleanse, tone and moisturize yo' face!!! It makes you feel like a snake. It's almost the best part of the day :D see you later, old skin! Thanks for the memories!

Step 3: brush your teeth AND FLOSS. Recommendation: get a water flosser...it's insane. It's like going to the dentist every goddamn night. This is the thing I miss most when I travel. *stares off into distance*
Dear Warwick... I promise you'll see the world someday. Mark my words.

Step 4: get in the covers!! NOT under them. IN them. Your bed is an envelope and you are the letter.
Now, this is the tricky part. See, I'm a sheet person m'self, (obviously the fitted sheet on the mattress is a given, but that extra wee liner sheet is what I mean) but my ex was a strictly duvet only person. If you have a sleeping partner (HIGH FIVE), I recommend only duvet, so you don't get tangled and afraid. OR get separate blankets. It is my firm belief that this is a huge contributor to insomniac tendencies; no one wants to be trapped anywhere, let alone in woven cotton when you're trying to rest (regardless of the sexy thread count).

Step 5: close your eyes!! Stop looking at shit. Turn off the light. Stop thinking and worrying about stuff you can't control. You're not thirsty or hungry. Just keep saying "sleep" in your head, and then it happens, and it's FUCKING magical. You know what it's like?! It's like time travel, you guys. You close your eyes and it's one time, and you open them, and it's LATER even though you were just laying there, serene and motionless.

Step 6: give yourself a pat on the back, you hero! You did it :) Great work!

[NOTE: if you have kids, or a restless partner, or a cat who thinks it's hilarious to stand on your chest (I actually have this problem, so I sleep on my SIDE, and he smacks me in the face when it's time to get up instead), none of the above will help you. You should probably implement sensory deprivation and/or sedatives, but that's a little intense for this forum.]

I think it's the 'stop thinking and worrying' part most people have difficulty with.
My acoustic sessions and history of Addistock gigs etc... - http://addistock.wordpress.com/

Find Addistock on facebook and twitter here - - http://www.facebook.com/AddistockSessions or http://twitter.com/addistock

lareinedeslames
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by lareinedeslames » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Yeah, I have trouble falling asleep, and then I also wake up multiple times per night; there's this sweet spot between like 2am and 4am when I am dead to the world, but according to my lovely new fitness tracker, I get "restless" between five and fifteen times per night. And usually wake up completely at least once.

Though when I went to bed at 2am, I was apparently able to sleep relatively soundly until 9am. So now to find a job that I can work from like 11-7.

I do the cleansing/toning/exfoliating bit, for sure, and the in the covers bit. I only wear pajamas to sleep when it's cold (which is not frequently in Florida), because--did you know--folks supposedly sleep better when they don't wear pajamas?

I think I just have too much going on in my brain to sleep well. *sigh* oh well. I'll just have to be content with my ability to go 30+ hours with no sleep and still function.

User avatar
Blonde
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Blonde » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 pm

When my brain is too full of stuff, I find putting some music on (either the radio or quieter stuff, not heavy metal or frank) at the lowest volume possible. I find trying to concentrate on listening to the music empties my brain and I'm not awake all night thinking about stuff. It helps that my radio has a sleep function so it isn't on all night.

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:35 am

I agree with Blonde! But the reason I wrote what I wrote is that ritualism prepares your mind to rest. Even if you don't go to bed at the same time, doing the same things in the same way makes you ready for some good resting times.
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

Venomous_Bear
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Venomous_Bear » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 am

In other news, it's snowing in Canada.

But seriously. Blizzard conditions + driving + night = near-death experiences galore.

Yaaaay
Toronto (x3), Hatfield, Derry, London (x2), Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston (x4), Ottawa, Fake London, Nottingham, Manchester, Portsmouth

sarahg
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by sarahg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 pm

After my Dad died last year I wore earphones and listened to FT when I went to bed, it helped me get to sleep, I even woke up to FT who was playing on loop. Will always be grateful for the comfort I got from his music.
VB, that is some weather you guys are having right now! Stay safe!

lareinedeslames
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by lareinedeslames » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:11 pm

I do definitely have a ritual around getting ready for bed, and that does help.

The only problem with listening to music is that I have synaesthesia--so listening to music is too stimulating most of the time, if I'm trying to sleep. I'll lay in bed watching the colors and patterns, feeling the heat and cold, and not be able to sleep. Every once in a while when I've been utterly overtired it helps, but for day-to-day "my brain is full of things" stuff it's too stimulating.

I guess I'm just a naturally light sleeper, nothing to do about it!

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Gleena » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am

I have two ways that I sleep.

1. Fall in bed, sleep. Wake up, don't even remember you went to bed.

2. Stare at the ceiling, do that thing were you're asleep enough not to move but awake enough to realise you aren't actually asleep.

Every night is like Satan's fucking lottery.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests