The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by SB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks, Sarah. I have loads of friends who are medics - well aware it's the hardest slog of all!

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by SB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Ah, I'm totally not up to it yet, physically, but I'll need to do at least a couple of years of pre-application stuff by which time I better bloody be better.

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Gleena » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:49 am

SB wrote:I have completely lost my mind.

After spending the last ten years forging out a career, building a business and actually succeeding, I am seriously considering giving it all up to train as a doctor.

God, writing it down makes it sound even more ridiculous!

Been on the phone to admissions tutors all day. It's complicated. And will be difficult. And I will probably be completely poor forever. But it was my dream when I was younger, life got in the way, but it's been all I've been able to think about for the last 9 months.

I've organised some volunteer placements in hospitals/hospices (although I've spent enough time in them to know how they are!) but I'm hoping that will cure my wanderlust, or confirm my madness.

My inability to be bored, to do nothing, will be the absolute death of me. I'm sure.
I did the same thing, only with law. Great career going on. Winning at life.

Do it. I have days where I'm all 'fuck I hate this fucking life why they fuck did I do this' but overall, aces.

Do it. Don't wonder what if. Make a plan, then jump. :)
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

halfpint
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 am
Location: Hampshire

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by halfpint » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:49 pm

SB wrote:Ah, I'm totally not up to it yet, physically, but I'll need to do at least a couple of years of pre-application stuff by which time I better bloody be better.
You will be!! :D

sarahg
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by sarahg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:44 pm

SB wrote:I have completely lost my mind.

After spending the last ten years forging out a career, building a business and actually succeeding, I am seriously considering giving it all up to train as a doctor.

God, writing it down makes it sound even more ridiculous!

Been on the phone to admissions tutors all day. It's complicated. And will be difficult. And I will probably be completely poor forever. But it was my dream when I was younger, life got in the way, but it's been all I've been able to think about for the last 9 months.

I've organised some volunteer placements in hospitals/hospices (although I've spent enough time in them to know how they are!) but I'm hoping that will cure my wanderlust, or confirm my madness.

My inability to be bored, to do nothing, will be the absolute death of me. I'm sure.
SB, what a fabulous goal! Do it! You are kind, compassionate, smart but above all you have life experience of overcoming adversity. Can't think of a better CV!

sarahg
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by sarahg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 pm

traci-ann wrote:i'm going to be 45 in a few days. forty-fucking-five. how did i get so old? what have i done? saw a lot of great bands, met a lot of great people, lived in the 4 corners of the US (seattle, LA, orlando and my home boston) hope to have made a difference in a few lives... so why i am freaking out? oh right, that's what i do. have done for my whole life. and i'm out of meds.

ok enough over sharing. i think i just need a kick in the ass.
Ha! Happy birthday! I know the feeling, I turn 47 in November, holy shit it feels weird, in my head I am 17.

traci-ann
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm
Location: boston
Contact:

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by traci-ann » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 pm

sarahg wrote:
traci-ann wrote:i I know the feeling, I turn 47 in November, holy shit it feels weird, in my head I am 17.

17? most days i feel like i'm 13!
traci-ann

But if ever I stray from the path I follow
Take me down to tBoston Harbor...

sarahg
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by sarahg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:08 pm

traci-ann wrote:
sarahg wrote:
traci-ann wrote:i I know the feeling, I turn 47 in November, holy shit it feels weird, in my head I am 17.

17? most days i feel like i'm 13!
Ha! Yup but I was a late developer! :wink:

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Gleena » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 am

My Corporations Law paper will not defeat me.

IT WILL NOT DEFEAT ME!!

Directors duties are a bitch, though. And I'm having trouble giving a shit. I'm also planning my sons' 18th birthday party this weekend, which will be fantastic. I raised an adult(ish) man. Go me!
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

Gleena
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am
Location: London, via America and Australia

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Gleena » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Lessons from an 18th birthday party:
  • It's all fun and games until someone buys the birthday boy some absinthe.

    Try not to have it somewhere that half the venue is a Hen's Night. If you do, try to rescue your son when they are pulling off his shirt, instead of laughing. (I'm a bad mom.)

    If you know the bar owners and they let you (finally) take over the music selection, remember that drunk hen's night women can turn on you on a dime and are scary in packs, and not everybody loves Black Flag as much as you do.

    Sit the socially awkward boy with the socially awkward girl, and watch a romance happen right before your eyes. (Awww...they are gorgeous, lovely kids, the both of them.)

    When your son can no longer pronounce the names of the drinks he's drinking, take him home. This is less altruism and more that you walked to the bar and he's too heavy to carry.
A good time was had by all, including my kid. Nothing got too far out of hand (except the hen's night women!) and it was great to see a lot of people I don't get to see much.

Now I have raised an adult human person. Weird. Very weird.
Yank at large, hiding in London
https://twitter.com/Gleena
Shows: 32 in five countries and on the ocean.

User avatar
moving pictures
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by moving pictures » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 pm

As a doctor, I can say I genuinely feel pride in my work (almost) every day. It's not always easy though. Bear in mind, if you have commitments, it can be difficult because you may end up having to move around a lot to achieve what you want.

Some of my friends in their 30s and 40s made the best medical students and doctors, but one in particular had to live in a different city to her 3 children for a year.

SB
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by SB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks MP. I'm looking to start training in 3 years, which will give me more freedom in terms of commitments at 'home'. I'm reading reading reading for now and volunteering at a local children's hospice (very interested in palliative care). Pretty certain I want to do it now, it's just if I can. Gulp.

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Bella » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:50 pm

sarahg wrote:
traci-ann wrote:i'm going to be 45 in a few days. forty-fucking-five. how did i get so old? what have i done? saw a lot of great bands, met a lot of great people, lived in the 4 corners of the US (seattle, LA, orlando and my home boston) hope to have made a difference in a few lives... so why i am freaking out? oh right, that's what i do. have done for my whole life. and i'm out of meds.

ok enough over sharing. i think i just need a kick in the ass.
Ha! Happy birthday! I know the feeling, I turn 47 in November, holy shit it feels weird, in my head I am 17.

I will be 41 in November! and feel like I'm still in my late teens too :-)

Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

User avatar
Bella
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by Bella » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:02 am

friend sent me this... thought I'd share :-)

LIFE TIP no 1

If you don’t want anyone to know – don’t post it on the internet!

LIFE TIP no 2

If you post something to the internet thinking no one will read it so it doesn’t matter it might surprise you to know that everything is searchable – see tip no 1

LIFE TIP no 3

If you mistakenly posted something to the internet and you delete it from wherever you posted it, it might surprise you to know that everything is on a server …. Somewhere…. It still exists – see tip no1 then refer to tip no 2

LIFE TIP no 4

If you lie, cheat, steal or engage in any other activities that will get you into trouble with the police/your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/family/co-workers etc….. see life tips 1 through to 3, read them again, now read and remember the following

What you post online is public somewhere, no matter how you edit your settings/friend lists etc. It can be used against you if what you have posted is wrong, or deemed to be wrong BY ANYONE.

SEE LIFE TIP 1



Bella
x
1084 Kilkenny, 1088 Dublin, 1139 Newport, 1255 Frome, 1301 Southampton, 1303 Bath, 1307 Cork, 1308 Galway, 1310 Dublin, 1324 Dublin. Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, Southampton, 2000 Trees Cave, 2000 Trees Main Stage...many...lots

moomin
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by moomin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 pm

got a book to help focus my mind back onto writing, called 642 Things to Write About
one of the prompts is Write a story starting with the line "my mother broke every plate in the house that day"
which reminded me of the time that did happen, back in the cottage in Hampshire, my dad wouldn't drop it, kept pecking at her until she snapped, unfortunately she was doing the washing up at the time whilst he stood at the window outside, with all the dinner plates in her hand to be packed away she crashed them over his head. Dazed he stepped back saying "right erm think I will come back later" but cleaned up first.
He never learnt though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests