The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

greg

Re: The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Post by greg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:15 am

appear to have entered into a relationship with an australian girl i've known for a month. sacking off going to south america in the new year and going to live with her on the gold coast instead. lol

martin

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am

Lol.

Sounds somewhat familiar.

where have you been so far, greg?
"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

greg

Post by greg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

cairns, airlie beach, whitsundays, mission beach, fraser island, brisbane, surfers paradise, byron bay, melbourne, sydney. now back in England, going back to Oz in the new year (surfers specifically, which is where she lives). Really could do with getting some sort of job when I'm back out there given that (a) she'll be out at work all day, (b) Australia is disgustingly expensive. Any tips?

pretty annoying that i've met this brilliant girl from half way across the world but she's due to move to the UK in May/June so should hopefully only have to do three months of the 'LTR' thing. Aussies are on the whole fucking quality, you can rip the piss out of them to a disgraceful extent and they simply don't get upset by it.

martin

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 am

Australia IS expensive, but you can also make a ridiculous amount of money working here. If it's only for three months then surely pretty much any job will do, within reason? What happened with surfers's's apostrophe? How are you set for visas? Have you already had a 'WHV' or can you get one for when you come back out here? When were you 'down my way'?

Christmas in 30 degree weather still feels a bit odd.

greg

Post by greg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am

it's actually only going to be about seven weeks because this bird doesn't get back to Australia (she's on holiday atm) until the 9th of January. I have to leave pretty smartish at the end of February because my job in London starts right at the beginning of March. My concern is that places won't be interested in me given that i'm around for such a short period of time, but yeah i'm prepared to do pretty much anything except work nights (regularly) as that would mean we'd never see each other which would sort of defeat the purpose of the venture. Any thoughts?

Haven't had a WHV yet so hopefully shouldn't have any problems getting one. Where do you live again?

martin

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 am

Gisborne, about 40 minutes north of Melbourne.

You won't have any trouble getting a WHV - it can all be done online and takes about ten minutes. If it's short term then just register with an agency and they'll get you in somewhere pretty quick-sharp. It won't be glamorous but you'll meet plenty of characters.

As much as I agree with you re: australians being fucking good people, they also do 'complete fucking bogan bellend' better than any other country in the world.

greg

Post by greg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Good to hear. any suggestions for agencies?

Melbourne was probably the nicest place I went in Australia. Despite the fact that we had to call the police because there was some utter lunatic woman charging around a busy crossroads trying to stop cars screaming 'HEEEEELLPPP MEEEEE!' and then the ambulance three hours later as we walked past some bloke with a smashed up head having a massive epileptic fit on the floor.

martin

Post by martin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:48 pm

A lot of the better agencies tend to be regional, what with Austraya being rather a large country, so i can't help much with stuff on the gold coast. Sorry.

Melbourne was recently voted the most livable city in the world. I certainly could've ended up in worse places. Whereabouts did you stay?

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Several hours spent watching videos on Ted.com is time well spent. I'd no clue re-capchta was being used to transcribe books as well as protect security. Next time you buy gig tickets from seetickets you'll be helping figure out some scanned text. One word is the security & another from the scanned text. Brilliant. Genuinlý in awe.

Emitime

Post by Emitime » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Was sat on Facebook being utterly bored as you do when I started idly typing the lyrics to the song I was listening to (Sea Legs) then this happened:
Her: Nice song
Her: Got quite a talent there

Me: thanks
Me: it was frank turner...

Her: Oh
Her: Lame
Her: He broke my friends arm
Her: My friend used to be friends with him and his band
Her: Go to their gigs and everything
Her: and then one day they were having an arm wrestle, and he managed to break his arm in a couple of places

Me: wow
Me: you know that guy?
Me: i've heard that story...

Her: So my friend was in hospital for a couple of months
Her: Haha yes that was my friend

Me: i think it was actually Ben that did that
Me: used to play drums with frank

Her: Thats was it!
Her: The drummer!
So there you go, have a good week everyone!
335, 411, 449, 460, 498, 500, 522, 623, 719, 980, 982, 990, 1000, 1021, 1079, 1080, 1142, 1216, 1377, 1419, 1423, 1564, 1623, 1719, 1792, 1889, 1922, 1998-ish, 2000
MH: 2, 7

skhmmxi

Post by skhmmxi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 am

Dougie wrote:Several hours spent watching videos on Ted.com is time well spent. I'd no clue re-capchta was being used to transcribe books as well as protect security. Next time you buy gig tickets from seetickets you'll be helping figure out some scanned text. One word is the security & another from the scanned text. Brilliant. Genuinlý in awe.
Do you remember when we originally upgraded the forum a few months ago (it was down for a full week, you might remember enjoying a hugely productive week in your life) and the place got flooded with spammers for a couple of days? Well, that was the might of reCAPTCHA keeping them out. It used to be good but the spambots got better at reading them and it's now ineffective. We had to stop using it.

Which raises two important points: firstly, at least people who still use reCAPTCHA and are besieged by spambots can be assured those spambots are helping to digitise books. Secondly, if the spambots can do that, why do we need humans to do it, again? :)
218,278,284,419,500,533,558,617-620,710,718,970,980,1000,1143,1216,1303,1321,1384,1441,1464,1518,1527,1545,1595,1611,next:RAH 29/03

ntgrl

Post by ntgrl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Is anyone watching the Grammy's? I turned on the pre-show...the energy is really bad due to the Whitney thing but if they would just stop talking about it for three seconds the energy might bounce back!

Jables
Location: Pontyclun, South Wales, Land of Sheep Lovers and Drunks

Post by Jables » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 pm

ntgrl wrote:Is anyone watching the Grammy's? I turned on the pre-show...the energy is really bad due to the Whitney thing but if they would just stop talking about it for three seconds the energy might bounce back!
I didn't watch them, but I was gutted the Sums didn't win :cry:

ntgrl

Post by ntgrl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Jables wrote:
ntgrl wrote:Is anyone watching the Grammy's? I turned on the pre-show...the energy is really bad due to the Whitney thing but if they would just stop talking about it for three seconds the energy might bounce back!
I didn't watch them, but I was gutted the Sums didn't win :cry:
I'm not typcially into awards shows but the night was interesting. The people watching was so very interesting..seems like for a night that is supposed to be about the music, there are some who feel compelled to make it about theatrics (i.e., who can out weird whom). I'm glad Adele won AoTY and the Foo's won (sorry about your Sums). Overall, interesting night.

_amy_

Post by _amy_ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 am

speaking of the grammys.. i got sent this yesterday after an entire day of peeing from my bum due to moving to india last week. it managed to make me laugh, which is saying something. it's now wednesday afternoon and i haven't eaten anything since sunday. ugh.

http://who-is-bon-iver.tumblr.com/

anything bon iver related always makes me smile though. i wish i could marry him. that would be nice.