The I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY Thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri May 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks for that. I think it is something I need to get into.

The question for me now is; Can I continue to get away with doing absolutely fuck all for the next 45 minutes? I am wagering "yes". Not entirely sure I have done a lick of work all day. No one seems to have noticed

martin

Post by martin » Fri May 28, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm quite looking forward to the satisfaction of turning up to summer parties/bbq's armed with a bottle of rum and being able to boast about having made it myself.

i'll be fighting the women off.
"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

skhmmi

Post by skhmmi » Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Distilling alcohol is also technically a civil offence unless you have a license, and if caught you could have your equipment seized and be hit with a fine plus the duty on the alcohol you should have paid if you'd been licensed.

It is, however, massively unlikely that HMRC will be breaking your door down, they have bigger fish to fry. I guess you guys can have the glory of turning up at parties with your moonshine and be all prohibition-era cool about it.

martin

Post by martin » Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 pm

well, yes, there is that....
"they cant even read what their selling, dirty bastards"

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm

skhmmi wrote:Distilling alcohol is also technically a civil offence unless you have a license, and if caught you could have your equipment seized and be hit with a fine plus the duty on the alcohol you should have paid if you'd been licensed.

It is, however, massively unlikely that HMRC will be breaking your door down, they have bigger fish to fry. I guess you guys can have the glory of turning up at parties with your moonshine and be all prohibition-era cool about it.
I had to work in Euston Tower with HMRC for a week and ended up spending the whole time chatting with this absolute man mountain who used to be personal security for Patrick Vieira and, later on, head of Arsenal player security. Biggest lad in the world...

...Except for, perhaps, our resident forum bellend Dead Pan. LAD.
Stu

newmy

Post by newmy » Fri May 28, 2010 5:26 pm

martin wrote:I'm quite looking forward to the satisfaction of turning up to summer parties/bbq's armed with a bottle of rum and being able to boast about having made it myself.

And sailors

tosh

Post by tosh » Fri May 28, 2010 5:53 pm

newmy wrote:
martin wrote:I'm quite looking forward to the satisfaction of turning up to summer parties/bbq's armed with a bottle of rum and being able to boast about having made it myself.

And sailors

on a combined note - when you get good enough at making your own rum Martin, can you have a crack at making the old sailer jerry's recipe? I miss the lime and vanilla. Cheers.
Aprils wrote:there is literally no hope
Barry wrote:
emma_jane wrote:my bf
I'm out

Norris

Post by Norris » Sun May 30, 2010 12:21 am

Caramac ice creams. That is all.

Wez

Post by Wez » Sun May 30, 2010 1:41 am

The home distilling/brewing discussion brings to mind a brief attempt I made at growing my own weed. My quite valiant efforts were crimped a bit when our next door neighbor (who worked with my then wife and gave her a lift in in the morning), asked why our top bedroom light was on all night... we were newly-weds so there was an obvious cover story, but I had months to go until I could change the light pattern, and it was going to be hard to keep a straight face if we 'suggested' this was the explanation for a phenomenon that was to persist for another 90 nights.... ;).

Anyway, going into homebase and buying all the shit, felt like I might as well be wearing a t-shirt which said, "Smile at me like you know *exactly* what I am up to!", and you occasionally get some clever cunt that wants to ask a load of horticultural questions.

Was more of an academic exercise anyway (and if you knew me, you know would know *exactly* what that means... :)).

One thing I did do is read up on the topic and anyone who hasn't would be amazed at the effort and expense applied to a great many British flats to pretty accurately simulate the tropics. Lots of 'genetic engineering' experiments too.

You do now how my interest piqued about home distilling, and I feel another academic exercise coming on. That said, if you read a headline, "Idiot dies after drinking badly fucked up home rum job", then you will know that this experiment went only slightly better than other attempts at similar activities. :)
"Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."
—Stephen Hawking

teamescape

Post by teamescape » Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 am

Norris wrote:Caramac ice creams. That is all.
Shit no.

Home made or purchased?
Stu

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Sun May 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Rose

Post by Rose » Sun May 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Poetofthedeed wrote:
About time. Gosh.
I love the comments people have of the picture. "I've seen bigger mosquito bites"... classic.

Poetofthedeed

Post by Poetofthedeed » Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 pm

I have to admit, they were a bit disappointing :(

Didn't stop me from appreciating them though.
Poetofthedeed wrote:he sounds exactly like beans on toast, except a bit more black.
rockface wrote:So Beans on Burnt Toast then?

Rose

Post by Rose » Sun May 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Poetofthedeed wrote:I have to admit, they were a bit disappointing :(

Didn't stop me from appreciating them though.
Hehe, I bet.

Norris

Post by Norris » Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 am

teamescape wrote:
Norris wrote:Caramac ice creams. That is all.
Shit no.

Home made or purchased?
Purchased. They seem to be quite rare though, I've only seen them in Asda, but they'e £1 for a pack of 4, or 4 packs for £3. Face-meltingly good ice cream.