annoying cunt
100%

Total votes: 28

denis

Post by denis » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:33 pm

absolute comedy genius.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:02 pm

Like I said on the other thread his 6music shows are brilliant. I also really enjoyed him on BBBM with his ball bag updates and the news on the womanising circuit.
Even though he did drugs in the past, the stories aren't all doom and gloom, theres a fucking funny story about climbing on top of a camper van fucked off his face and demanding they drive with him on it.

DO download the 6music podcasts.

Marta

Post by Marta » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:03 pm

'annoying cunt'.

David

Post by David » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:00 pm

yeah, i think he is pretty annoying. haven't seen that much of him though, apart from a bit of coverage from the edinburgh festival.
DanIrelle wrote:LAWLZ DAVID eek

greg

Post by greg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:35 pm

russell brand could never rape anyone, who would ever turn him down?

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:43 pm

Well you obviously fucking wouldn't.

greg

Post by greg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:47 pm

not a chance. although if the great man specifically wanted to rape me, i'd at least try and make it look like i was fighting back.

tosh

Post by tosh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 pm

'inside info' led one of my friends to knowing the exact flat Russel was staying in during the Fringe 8)
Aprils wrote:there is literally no hope
Barry wrote:
emma_jane wrote:my bf
I'm out

jammus

Post by jammus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:04 am

the thing with russell brand is that he is shit.

and the reason for his shitness will be explained thusly...

well, in that sentence really. he's quite good at telling stories by dressing them up with seemingly quirkly phrases and when he's riffing you do get caught up in it and more often than not laugh at the correct points. when in good flow he's quite adept at the building of tension and it's subsequent release. however that's only one half of what it takes to be a good comic - the second being the actual content. while the delivery might be rather colourful the actual body is all rather vapid. when i watch comedy i like to learn a little bit about myself/the world/the comic and while stories about brand feature quite heavily in his work they're all pretty much just 'har har i'm a bit of a womanizing ex-junkie' or 'i said ball bag' which may provide light relief but in no way makes him a great comic.

he's a bit like someone doing an impression of a comedian.

[/poorly thought through two cents]
I tend to get on with everyone, although I don't like all the chat from the Diana Circle - they say lots of nasty things about Camilla Parker Bowles, and talk about conspiracies, and play Candle In The Wind a lot.

greg

Post by greg » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 am

i disagree. i don't necessarily think that a comedian shouldn't be able to rely upon delivery alone (although i don't think russell brand does this either). look at steven wright as an example. most of what he says is, on the surface of it, not funny in the slightest. but his delivery makes it hilarious.

jammus

Post by jammus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:52 pm

greg wrote:i disagree. i don't necessarily think that a comedian shouldn't be able to rely upon delivery alone (although i don't think russell brand does this either). look at steven wright as an example. most of what he says is, on the surface of it, not funny in the slightest. but his delivery makes it hilarious.
nope, steven wright has good material as well as good delivery. clever use of language and timing. hence why most people consider him to be a great comedian. brand nonces around talking psuedo-intelligent nonsense which just acts as filler for childish material. link me something good from him please.
I tend to get on with everyone, although I don't like all the chat from the Diana Circle - they say lots of nasty things about Camilla Parker Bowles, and talk about conspiracies, and play Candle In The Wind a lot.

greg

Post by greg » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 pm

jammus wrote:
greg wrote:i disagree. i don't necessarily think that a comedian shouldn't be able to rely upon delivery alone (although i don't think russell brand does this either). look at steven wright as an example. most of what he says is, on the surface of it, not funny in the slightest. but his delivery makes it hilarious.
nope, steven wright has good material as well as good delivery. clever use of language and timing. hence why most people consider him to be a great comedian. brand nonces around talking psuedo-intelligent nonsense which just acts as filler for childish material. link me something good from him please.
well once again, i disagree. steven wright, in my eyes at least, is almost all delivery, in a similar way that you are criticising young russell for. example: "my goal is to live forever. so far, so good". that just isn't at all funny, until delivered by steven wright. i won't deny that a large part of russell brand's comedy is due to his slapstick nature, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoKFDnWt_w

this, from 2.10 to 2.30 for example, is 'something good'.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Sorry...if that is the best example you can come up with, i stand firm on what I have said all along. He is slightly less funny than AIDS.

greg

Post by greg » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:56 pm

comedy genius. you're all just jealous.

well anyway, i'm going to his stand up show, if i don't laugh reasonably often, i will bump this thread and admit defeat. i promise.