Losing days at the fringe

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

j19

Losing days at the fringe

Post by j19 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 am

It's August therefor the madness that is the Edinburgh festival fringe is upon us.
Thousands of shows, comedians, dramas, musicals...all creative life is here, making it a difficult choice to decide what you want to see.
We spotted a flyer for "losing days" a play set to the tunes of frank turner which was described as "hilarious and harrowing".
A little worried that it was going to be one of those jukebox musicals, the promise of some frank made us buy the tickets.
We got lucky.
It's the autobiographical tale of the actor (Sam Underwood) and his struggle to overcome his bipolar disorder which is echoed by the play veering suddenly from comedy to sometimes violent intensity, accompanied by him and a guitarist playing songs from tape deck heart which helped him cope with the situations he finds his illness presents him with.
It was an unexpected gem of a show which left a deeper understanding of the complexities of this disorder, and I would recommend anyone in Edinburgh to check it out.
I don't know if frank has been asked permission for his songs to be used, but their inclusion emphasises that a song can mean many things to many different ears.
I don't think I'll hear "four simple words" again the same way.
P.S. We went to see Michelle Shocked who also has a show on and it turned into an excruciating under rehearsed exercise in self indulgent whining that went on forever... you just never know what you're getting in Edinburgh!

frank
Site Admin

Re: Losing days at the fringe

Post by frank » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Haven't seen the show myself, but Sam and I chatted it through a while back. Thoroughly lovely person.
Shows? All of em.

"He's like an Uncle, I like him but I don't want to listen to him all day."