Obligations of Artists

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

mankytoes

Obligations of Artists

Post by mankytoes » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:40 am

Having watched the Get Better film, a major theme is how it is more difficult for Frank to connect with all his fans as the numbers increase. I know this has come up a few times, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are?

For me, it's pretty much a non-issue. If I go to see any act, to me their obligation is to put on a good show. There is no implication that they should have a beer, or a chat, or whatever, even if I'm the only person there. It's a nice thing to do, but purely an extra to me.

I guess it probably depends on your personality. I don't really envy famous people, I can't think of many things more irritating and tedious as strangers constantly wanting your time, wanting you to write your name down or be in a picture with them.
If you're oh so fucking different, who cares what you have to say?

Kayleigh-22

Re: Obligations of Artists

Post by Kayleigh-22 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:13 pm

I definitely see it as a "bonus", so to speak. I love meeting musicians that I admire, but in no way do I think they are obliged to hang out with their fans all the time.

I think it's partly the fans responsibility to understand that musicians are only human, and sometimes just want to see their friends and family and not stand meeting a load of strangers. It doesn't make them bad people or "they don't appreciate their fans", they're just super busy and it IS impossible to meet every person who wants to meet you, or please every fan when you're in the public eye.

From what I've seen in this community though, everyone seems pretty understanding and respectful on both sides.

I think my short answer to this one would be that I'd rather see a great show and not meet the artist than see a crap one and then have a beer at the bar with them.

amysaurus.rex

Post by amysaurus.rex » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 am

Fans should never see it as an obligation. It surprises me that Frank puts himself out there so much to be honest, the online stuff I find really interesting as there is probably more time for interaction than if you're faced with a big group out the back of a venue, but I'm not one for asking for photos or autographs.
I have a couple of photographs, admittedly, from times when I've been working at a music venue and the artist has offered because a colleague has pointed out that I'm fan, but I would find the whole walking up to somebody and asking very awkward!

After the Night & Day gig, Frank did a DJ set at a club in Manchester and my friend met him while people queued for autographs. I stood at the back with my beer. I find the whole process quite awkward and strangely invasive. Aside from that, I'd have no idea what to say anyway. I don't feel that there is enough time to have an actual meaningful conversation, so I feel like it's just trying to take more away from the gig than should ever be expected.

I agree, I'd rather pay to see a great show and pass on the extras. I do like the lack of VIP upgrades at FT gigs particularly, that tiered system of pricing drives me mental.
"No fags, no cocaine, don't be a cunt"

hellbound

Post by hellbound » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:13 am

There is no obligation, the only thing they are obliged to do is supply some albums and a few live shows.
Frank however takes the obligation to a whole new level.

I met Frank once, at a Signing Tent at Sonisphere, I was unfortunately just behind some Idiot drug fueled child who offered Frank his bottle of piss, I was both Mortified that I was next and paranoid that anyone anywhere would think I was a friend of this Twat who just happened to be in the queue.
As it turned out Frank agreed to sign twice, one for me and one for my Partner who couldn't be there, there was no need for my paranoia as he treats each fan individually.
This was a Signing tent, therefore a pre arranged meet so to speak, so I didn't feel like I was being a hassle.
Outside a venue? Not so sure, from a personal note I'd feel like I was stopping him from getting some well earned rest or a beer, I know he comes out because he wants to but I tend to avoid the Backstage door bit as I "don't want to put anyone out"
That said when my Eldest daughter finally plucks up the courage to see him I suspect I might hang around that area for her sake so she can explode with teenage joy.
I admire that he does it but I also feel that now he is becoming more and more famous it will have to stop as the fans will become more and more tiresome.
I love that he answers a lot of the emails but I wonder how many are "will you marry me and have my babies?" type emails.
I do however Admire the opinions on the VIP package, this grates me with any gig I go to, Pay more and look like a rich twat just because you think that VIP is special and you might get 2 minutes with the bands roadie? its a ripoff!

Watergirl

Post by Watergirl » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

Agree with all of the above. There is no obligation.
That said, it does mean a lot to people, so if an artist is comfortable doing it, which Frank seems to be more than any artist I can think if, then it is worth doing. There shouldn't be an expectation though that this is part of the deal when you buy a concert ticket.
Also, if it is not really someone's thing they are better off not bothering to come out at all. I once queued up to say hello and get something signed by an American country singer that I am a big fan of. He scribbled something down and never even looked up. I had thought about what I wanted to say. I had been into his music big time since his first album. I never got an opportunity to say anything. "Next...!" I felt really disappointed and it took me a while to disassociate this occurrence from his music, which I managed to do but it took time.
Springsteen did a lot of meet & greets recently in conjunction with his autobiography. I didn't get to go, but know many fans that did, and everybody felt very positive about it. It was quite regimented apparently, with a strict 30 seconds per person, and people had to hand their camera or phone to a professional who did the photo-taking. In an interview Bruce said that he had enjoyed the experience. He said it was nice when fans get to say what they had been waiting forty years to say.
872 1064 1084 1087 1088 1133 1134 1184 1185 1216 1257 1281 1282 1307 1308 1309 1310 1364 1444 1445 1446 1463 1527 1529 1530 1543 1545 1621 1622 1623 1697 1698 1700 1704 1782 1784 1785 1786 1808 1829 1830 1831 1876 1877 1958 1977 1997 1999 2000 2076

marky p

Post by marky p » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:59 pm

I have interacted with FT three times but all were a while back:
- he handed me a setlist after MD played Truck Festival in 2004(ish)
- I cheekily asked him to watch my beer at Thee Parkside in San Francisco in 2009 when I had to leave the bar, having arrived early, to go outside and pay to get back in for the gig
- I spoke to him at a solo gig at the Jailhouse in Hereford around the same time when he was playing solo and was hanging around before the set, when there was no-one else there.

With the level of popularity he is at now his commitment to interacting with his fans is admirable.
23/10/06 - 5/2/07 – 20/9/07 – 13/12/07 – 23/4/08 - 25/5/08 – 29/10/08 – 28/3/09 – 26/6/09 – 24/3/10

Tomasz

Post by Tomasz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:46 pm

marky p wrote:I have interacted with FT three times but all were a while back:
- he handed me a setlist after MD played Truck Festival in 2004(ish)
First time I ever saw MD, man that barn stunk. Seem to remember jetplane landing played before them
Pete wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a dog on a swing.