Now listening to thread

Rant and rave at will, that's why you're here, this is the internet after all

Moderators: marowak, Blonde, skhmmxi

snodgrass

Post by snodgrass » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Lexapalooza wrote:
snodgrass wrote:Thin Lizzy - 'Bad Reputation'
I am going to see them next Sunday. I have been actively boycotting what they pass off as Thin Lizzy these days, but someone gave me a ticket and The Supersuckers are supporting so I'm going. Ricky Warwick just seems to do a Phil impression, so i'm treating it like a good quality covers band. They are playing an excellent setlist, and it IS Scott Gorham...and Brian Downey...and the keyboard guy...
You'll have fun. I saw posters for this last Nov. I'm guessing you live in Koln, Munich, Wien, Leeds, London or...I forget where else. But I saw the posters and was jealous.

Yeah, I'd totally go see a good T.L. cover band. Or a bad one for that matter. And like you said it'll be a good one. I LOVE Phil Lynott however. LOVE. And Phil's mom champions this I believe.

The Supersuckers are always fun too. BIG BONUS. It makes it in a way.

thepriceofreality

Post by thepriceofreality » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 pm

marnie stern. this girl seriously rocks my coccyx!

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Arse Full Of Chips. One of them did a surprise set at Acoustic Rooms last night and it had me in stitches. Some of the most offensive but funniest songs I've ever heard.

madmonkette

Post by madmonkette » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Denis Jones. The man's out of this world.
"If you stripped me off ambition, I would not sit motionless. But if we're stripped off inspiration we won't run for government, I guess."

newmy

Post by newmy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Crydebris.

RiCh

Post by RiCh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:58 pm

The new album by The Decemberists. A bit good.

Blonde

Post by Blonde » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Is it as good as Picaresque?

SxPxDxCx

Post by SxPxDxCx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:34 am

A very drunk and surly Hank Williams Jr.

http://thatsthethingaboutthat.blogspot. ... drunk.html

Lexapalooza

Post by Lexapalooza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 am

snodgrass wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote:
snodgrass wrote:Thin Lizzy - 'Bad Reputation'
I am going to see them next Sunday. I have been actively boycotting what they pass off as Thin Lizzy these days, but someone gave me a ticket and The Supersuckers are supporting so I'm going. Ricky Warwick just seems to do a Phil impression, so i'm treating it like a good quality covers band. They are playing an excellent setlist, and it IS Scott Gorham...and Brian Downey...and the keyboard guy...
You'll have fun. I saw posters for this last Nov. I'm guessing you live in Koln, Munich, Wien, Leeds, London or...I forget where else. But I saw the posters and was jealous.

Yeah, I'd totally go see a good T.L. cover band. Or a bad one for that matter. And like you said it'll be a good one. I LOVE Phil Lynott however. LOVE. And Phil's mom champions this I believe.

So, this show was rubbish. Supersuckers were great. Union were dreadful. And Lizzy just weren't all that. We ended up leaving after an hour, with my friend swearing he would need therapy after that. We watched them make Emerald sound half assed and weak, then left. Disappointing.

snodgrass

Post by snodgrass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 am

Lexapalooza wrote:
snodgrass wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote: I am going to see them next Sunday. I have been actively boycotting what they pass off as Thin Lizzy these days, but someone gave me a ticket and The Supersuckers are supporting so I'm going. Ricky Warwick just seems to do a Phil impression, so i'm treating it like a good quality covers band. They are playing an excellent setlist, and it IS Scott Gorham...and Brian Downey...and the keyboard guy...

So, this show was rubbish. Supersuckers were great. Union were dreadful. And Lizzy just weren't all that. We ended up leaving after an hour, with my friend swearing he would need therapy after that. We watched them make Emerald sound half assed and weak, then left. Disappointing.
OH NO!
so sorry to hear that.
good for me to know though.
Thanks for taking one for the team.

Lexapalooza

Post by Lexapalooza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:48 am

snodgrass wrote: OH NO!
so sorry to hear that.
Aw well. I think perhaps if I had not seen The Almighty a bunch of times then it may have been better. Warwick just made them sound like The Almighty, plus his Phil impression got a touch annoying. To the point that before they opened with Are You Ready, he did the intro from Live and Dangerous. His between song banter was irritating, and he appeared to be trying to talk like Phil. All in all, a bit of a shambles

snodgrass

Post by snodgrass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am

Lexapalooza wrote:
so sorry to hear that.
Aw well. I think perhaps if I had not seen The Almighty a bunch of times then it may have been better. Warwick just made them sound like The Almighty, plus his Phil impression got a touch annoying. To the point that before they opened with Are You Ready, he did the intro from Live and Dangerous. His between song banter was irritating, and he appeared to be trying to talk like Phil. All in all, a bit of a shambles
bummer.
did other people like it?

Lexapalooza

Post by Lexapalooza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am

snodgrass wrote:
Lexapalooza wrote:
so sorry to hear that.
bummer.
did other people like it?
Hard to tell. Sunday shows are always a bit subdued, but there was a fairly muted response throughout. The hardcore few hundred down the front seemed to be into it, but all around the sides people were just chatting away. Plus the audience's average age was about 45, so not exactly screamers. We definitely were not the only people leaving early.

longlivethefrank

Post by longlivethefrank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 pm

The new Chapel Club album is incredible. INCREDIBLE. Check it, I promise it's ace. If you're into indie, metal, punk, whatever.

snodgrass

Post by snodgrass » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Glossary - Feral Fire